Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT: OK So Maybe The CBA Won't Be Ratified...

From the day the owners and players agreed on a deal to end the lockout, it has been widely believed that the new Collective Bargaining Agreement would be ratified by August 4. But it’s now August 3, and ratification is no sure thing.

In fact, Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark, the team’s NFLPA representative, says that unless NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is willing to budge on matters of player discipline, the CBA won’t be ratified tomorrow.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-ratification/

Goodell needs to stop trying to play God and let go of this one.

Then again this IS Ryan Clark so who know's!
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Re: OT: OK So Maybe The CBA Won't Be Ratified...

Why is this on Goddell?

Kudos for him to trying to change the culture and not let the thugs and miscreants become common place in the league.

He may not be right all the time, but he is doing far better then Tags in the discipline department.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Why is this on Goddell?

Kudos for him to trying to change the culture and not let the thugs and miscreants become common place in the league.

He may not be right all the time, but he is doing far better then Tags in the discipline department.
    I think the players at least want someone to be able to appeal to that wasn't...you know, the guy who originally handed out the punishment.

I agree...it's not right to have Goddell hand out the punishment, and then when you appeal, it goes right back to Goddell.

Here's hoping that Goodell shows backbone and sticks to his cleaning up the thuggery in the NFL.

Regardless, the players want to play ball; this should be a mere nuisance. At most, I could see a Frank Robinson type of disciplinarian appointed by the league, whose decisions could be appealed to the Commissioner.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think the players at least want someone to be able to appeal to that wasn't...you know, the guy who originally handed out the punishment.

I agree...it's not right to have Goddell hand out the punishment, and then when you appeal, it goes right back to Goddell.
    Exactly. It's nothing wrong with him trying to clean up the league but when you have to appeal to the same person that issued the punishment what's the point?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Regardless, the players want to play ball; this should be a mere nuisance. At most, I could see a Frank Robinson type of disciplinarian appointed by the league, whose decisions could be appealed to the Commissioner.
    I can buy that.

Is this a problem with the Steelers players signing the CBA, or ALL players?

PFT doesn;t give alot of detail.

Obviously, the steelers players would have concerns over player discipline. They have been pretty 'active' in this department as of late...

It's completely bizarre to me that (a) the Commissioner, instead of a lackey, hands out the discipline. I get it we want him to be tough, but surely he has a hatchet man somewhere who can be tough on his behalf.

It's further bizarre to me that (b) you *do*, as the player, get to appeal the disciplinary action, in which case you get to go right back to the guy who gave it to you.

It's all kinds of bizarre. I'm completely in favor of having hard asses in the league office crack down on thuggery in the league. I am *completely* in favor of that.

But the NFL disciplinary system is all kinds of bizarre.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I dont' really care about the details of this and it may very well not be his fault, but as a generality Goodell really does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    as a generality Goodell really does suck.

I can't understand the anti-Goodell sentiment. He has led a group of 32 widely different owners into 10 years of labor peace. He has cleaned up (somewhat) the NFL's image. Within that upcoming decade, I expect to see, under Goodell's leadership: the NFL's revenues doubled, international games expanded, TV ratings going up higher, football returned to the 2nd largest metro area, and halving the exhibition rip-off.

Betcha Goodell makes the HOF before Tags!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I can't understand the anti-Goodell sentiment. He has led a group of 32 widely different owners into 10 years of labor peace. He has cleaned up (somewhat) the NFL's image. Within that upcoming decade, I expect to see, under Goodell's leadership: the NFL's revenues doubled, international games expanded, TV ratings going up higher, football returned to the 2nd largest metro area, and halving the exhibition rip-off.

Betcha Goodell makes the HOF before Tags!
    He's a terrible PR person. He's terrible at masking the NFL's big business intentions. He's not carefully walking the tightrope of money grab and PR. His "discipline" is uneven and bullshit. He's greedy as fuck and he takes the NFL's popularity for granted. You can see a trend downward for the league. It's slow, for sure, but it is slipping. Every year there are a few more smoke signals. More teams that aren't selling out. More fans giving up easier. It won't happen over night but if Goodell keeps operating as he is he will fly too close to the sun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Is this a problem with the Steelers players signing the CBA, or ALL players?

PFT doesn;t give alot of detail.

Obviously, the steelers players would have concerns over player discipline. They have been pretty 'active' in this department as of late...

Guys who are not dirt bags wont have a problem with what Roger does. Its simple stay the hell out of trouble and you dont have much to worry about.