Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What bettors think of the Ravens now

I wonder what the Wise Guys odds sheet looks it.

I'm half tempted to throw down 10 or 20 bucks on the Rams. They're still 50/1 odds on some websites, and although it's not very probable for them to win, they've made some nice moves over the offseason and the progression of Sam Bradford to a very high level could put them in the Super Bowl.

I might have to throw down some money on the Ravens. I think they still have a good chance to win it all. I would love to see it happen either way.

FYI The Ravens are only underdogs two games on their entire schedule.

+3 @Pittsburgh
    +1 @San Diego

Tells you what vegas thinks.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

T-- (or any of the rest of you scofflaws who understand the legal and illegal wagering systems ;))

I know a little about statistics and a little about gambling, which puts me into the category of "No knowledge is better than a little knowledge". My understanding is that, for an individual game, the line (e.g., let's say Balt-Pitt in the opener) is set such that the middlemen (I've heard them called various names - Las Vegas, bookies, Louie the Collector) collect, or hope to collect, no matter what the final score is. So if the Ravens are favored by 3, the line will move more or less if the betting money becomes imbalanced to either side.

My question - how does this work for the odds given for each team in the league, since they are all pitted "against each other"? In other words, do the odds for the Ravens "drop" from 10:1 to 16:1 because the oddsmakers think the team is "weaker", or do they change because of the amount of money placed on Balt? If the latter, how does that "work"?

Thanks, and no, I don't have any money to bet!:D

Gotta cover their bets somehow!
    So it helps to keep the line close, or encourage action one way or another...

Blog Entries

The freakin' Eagles are going to be at 2:1 the way this is going.

what are the odds that I'll see Mr. and Mrs. T in Breckenridge to watch a Ravens game again this year? :)

Thumbs up Re: What bettors think of the Ravens now

Quote Originally Posted by SykesvilleRavensFan View Post
    what are the odds that I'll see Mr. and Mrs. T in Breckenridge to watch a Ravens game again this year? :)
    Pretty good. All the issues which have stymied our travel to Colorado should be resolved this Fall!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Pretty good. All the issues which have stymied our travel to Colorado should be resolved this Fall!
    :ww:

That's great to hear! Just drop me a line or call when you know the dates that you'll be here!