Can Tampa and Cincy screw up the cap?

Rumors are that Tampa has $60 million in cap space they have to spend by the end of the year. Cincy has a ton too. With all the big free agents about to be signed, it would appear at least these two teams would have to OVERSPEND on marginal talent.

I think this could affect the Ravens in the short term (2011). The right player, right price model will fall back into place, but the free agents out there that might have been bargins for their talent, could be bid up by under the cap teams this year.

Of course this will bite them in the behind down the road.. but Ozzie makes a killing a lot of years picking up guys.

Any thoughts on this? Heard anyone discuss it?

Re: Can Tampa and Cincy screw up the cap?

If that's the case why isn't Tampa in the conversation for Nmadi? TB is a good, young team that has a great shot at making the playoffs.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    If that's the case why isn't Tampa in the conversation for Nmadi? TB is a good, young team that has a great shot at making the playoffs.
    Assuming they still play their Tampa-2, his talents would be wasted.

Blog Entries

I really have no facts
    But seems to me that there are some owners whose interest is to make money, and the % that has to be spent was put into the contract by the players with these certain owners in mind.

I also have read here that the % is higher this year and will drop back some next year (I want to say 10% but again I don't really know).

So, with this in mind, I can't see those owners locking up mega bucks because they don't want to be committed to having to spend it, they want to chisel that percentage back to themselves next year.

How they do it, I have no idea, my guess is that it will have no bearing on big name/huge contract players. Where it will have an impact is on one year "rentals" where we could easily be outbid. The players looking for multi-year contracts and pro-rated signing bonuses aren't strongly on those teams radars.

It is the bottom line, I could see Cincy paying Moss big for one year ( which would also keep fans coming) and then cutting him. I don't think they are going to screw up the system in general but there will be a handful of players who will uniquely benefit.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I thought the first two years there was no Cap floor meaning that the those two teams don't have to spend dollars this year.