Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Joe Flacco addresses criticism

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    That's the point, he thinks he knows everything but he wasn't much when he played in the NFL.

He started over 100 games. He was hardly a chump then even if he is now.

Regardless, his opinion is worth next to nothing and I don't see the point in getting worked up over it.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Dude was a scrub. A comparable players according to Pro Football reference include the following ALL STARS: Jim Skaggs, Roger Finnie, Dave Widell, Hank Fraley, Homer Elias, Mike Flanagan, Frank Morze, Matt O'Dwyer, Wayne Hansen, Frank Garcia.

If you knew more than 3 of them without Google I'll eat my hat.
    PFR shows him starting 103 out of a possible 124 games. I'll go with that over a wiki entry.

Regardless, why bust on a guy's career who went from being undrafted to lasting a decade in the league?

The average career length is 3 or 4 years. He lasted considerably longer. Scrub?
    Last edited by BLSmokey; 07-27-2011 at 11:45 PM.

I retracted my post as soon as I saw that my research was incorrect.

I stand by my statement that he was a scrub based on the types of players his career compares to. He was at his best, average. And since no one is always at their best it means he spent plenty of time being below average.

He certainly didn't do anything equivalent to what Flacco has already done in his young career.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

So...you're going to stick with your assertion that a 'scrub' = an UDFA who lasts TEN years in the league while starting over a hundred games in the trenches?

Clearly our definitions of 'scrub' vary greatly.

I didn't know former players have to meet certain career thresholds and statistical milestones to be qualified to comment on Joe Flacco. I suppose Sapp is more qualified considering he had an arguably HOF-caliber career?

Dukes is a loud-mouth blowhard despite the fact he had a solid career. Sapp is a loud-mouth blowhard despite the fact he had a great career.

Neither of them produce commentary worth a debate or a second thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Joe kinda brought it on himself by saying he thinks he's really good. If you're really good, you don't have to tell people.
    You have to take it in context. If someone asks you a question about how people around the league think your terrible what is supposed to be said "Oh, maybe they are right".

Its not like he just walked to the podium and gave that speech. Someone asked him a question that called into question his skills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I don't have a problem with them questioning his playoff stats Joe does need to step up, but I do have a problem with Dukes questioning Joe's work ethic (earlier this offseason) and Sapp and Dukes having a problem with Joe speaking up for himself. I don't care what he says, he spoke up for himself, that's a step in the right direction.
    What kills me though, Joe played so much better in the 2010 playoffs. But his rookie stats and stats from when he was hurt makes it look like he's not improving.

2008 (rookie year)- 44%completion/ 437 yards/ 1 td/ 3 int/ (rushing td scored)
    2009- 53%/ 223/ 0 td/ 3 int
    2010- 64%/ 390 / 3td/1 int (1 rushing td scored)

They are basing this cant compete in big games crap off of everything except his most recent body of work. His stat line in the playoffs is not bad at all, its actually quite good.

I just saw the spot on NFLN. I know they were dogging Joe a little but their point is valid. His stats in the playoffs are not very good at all. He has to step up when the stakes are highest and I think he will.
    They may have valid points but you would never hear them be that critical of Matt Ryan. What has he done in the playoffs? Thats my problem with their comments on Flacco. I feel like the media and now players around the league take every chance they can to criticize Joe and take pleasure in it. Some of the criticism is just but I don't want to hear it when you make excuses for the chosen ones when they don't produce in a given situation. Now Joe stands up for himself and thats a negative. Fu#k em all cause I'm still Wacco 4 Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by grandraven View Post
    They may have valid points but you would never hear them be that critical of Matt Ryan. What has he done in the playoffs? Thats my problem with their comments on Flacco. I feel like the media and now players around the league take every chance they can to criticize Joe and take pleasure in it. Some of the criticism is just but I don't want to hear it when you make excuses for the chosen ones when they don't produce in a given situation. Now Joe stands up for himself and thats a negative. Fu#k em all cause I'm still Wacco 4 Flacco.

The way the national media is all over Matt Ryan and how amazing he is...but Joe still has to prove himself...against the Steelers? Sure...I can understand that. but Matt Ryans stats are near identical to Joe's yet Ryan is so much better....huh???

it'll never change unless Joe is wearing 3 rings.

public perception feeds on itself and is a snowball that facts don't stand a chance against

Joe kinda brought it on himself by saying he thinks he's really good. If you're really good, you don't have to tell people.
    It's not like Joe was just standing around and said, "Hey guys...I am awesome...how ya like dem apples?". He was asked about all the criticism of him and he responded by saying he thinks he is really good...what is wrong with that? Some in the media will hate on Joe no matter what because he didn't go to a big school like Matt Ryan did...whatever...haters gonna hate....and when the Ravens do beat the Steelers with Joe as the Qb and BR as the Steelers Qb, the haters will STILL discredit him...

Ugh...