Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

McCrary battling unbearable pain, depression

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,6694189.story

Wow. I didn't realize Mike was so bad off. I know his knees were bad, but all the stuff about the depression (since 1999!) is a pretty big revelation. It's a shame what seems to happen to these guys after they retire.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: McCrary battling unbearable pain, depression

I didn't know his knees were that bad but you knew the guy was absolutely done when he quit playing. He loved playing so much you knew there was nothing left in those knees then.

He should get the knee replacements and if he has to do it again in 20 years then do it again.

I hope he gets his head on straight and can get off the drugs, the man is a class individual and football or not, the world is a better place with him around.

Honestly, decisions . . . consequences

He could have, and probalby should have, retired earlier when he had some cartilage left.

What he needs to do now is get a knee replace surgery if it'll help . . . or I don't know if the microfracture scar-tissue thing would help either.

I feel for him, but he also did get paid. Gotta make that money he made count, in this case hopefully in some good medical treatment.

Best Wishes, Mike . . . hope it gets better.

This article's sad. I don't have anything negative to say about players like Tiki who retire while still in good condition.

A Sun reporter (might have been Preston) if I remeber correctly, wrote an article in 2002 about Mcrary's knees. Said then he had no cartilage and would need knee replacement surgery eventually. I hate to hear he's suffering from depression. Wish there was something we could do. I love Mike. Love him crawling to Kerry Collins for a sack in the SB. That play, as much as any other, characterizes our whole season.

I hope the league starts taking steps to rectify this kind of situation. Both with retired players benefits, and current players. Maybe a limit to number of cortisone shots a player can have per year. Start treating joints the way they regulate heads. That would be a great legacy for Roger Goodell to leave.

Blog Entries

Ditto Greg. They guy was a remarkable player. I hope he gets his head straight.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

I hope the league starts taking steps to rectify this kind of situation.
    I dont' understand what the league should do here . . .

In the case of older veterans, they were underpaid and didn't have savings.

In the case of guys like McCrary . . . no-one put a gun to his head to make him play until his cartilage was gone. And he was paid millions.

Does the league step in and force him to stop playing? I'm pretty sure we live in America, and its a free country and you're free to do what you want with yourself and your labor.

Does the league step in to pay for the surgery? Considering what we paid him he should have that sort of money, honestly.

I'm just keeping it real. He deserves the best, but I dont know what the league can do here. He's a free man, and made a choice.

I agree with Cleric Black Dave here. McCrary is a great guy, no doubt, but he made the decision to keep playing past when he should have himself. The league is not going to tell him he cannot play if he's willing to put his body through that. We do live in America - doctors and even the league can recommend he not play, but it's his decision if he wants to take the risk.

McCrary made more money in his life than most of us will ever see. It sounds like he wisely saved it and is very comfortable financially.

Sad story. Mike was a warrior for us.

He should get his knees replaced now so he can live the next 15-20 years pain free. WHat is the point of living if you are all drugged up and in constant pain. Who knows how much better technology will be 20 years from now if he needs to get them replaced again.
    Last edited by GreenWave52; 05-02-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Boy can I relate to the knees and how it messes with your head, and I'm not an elite athlete. He did say he may have retired sooner, knee replacements are not a sure thing--they can fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkraven View Post
    Boy can I relate to the knees and how it messes with your head, and I'm not an elite athlete. He did say he may have retired sooner, knee replacements are not a sure thing--they can fail.
    Knee replacement surgery today is by and large hugely successful. He really should go ahead with it asap.

The knees don't bother me nearly as much as the depression.

What an awful thing. It is treatable, but not as simply as the problem with the knees. What a great football player, great member of the community, great role model, and great Raven.
    Give him a :toast: and wish him the best. :grbac:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    The knees don't bother me nearly as much as the depression.

What an awful thing. It is treatable, but not as simply as the problem with the knees. What a great football player, great member of the community, great role model, and great Raven.
    Give him a :toast: and wish him the best. :grbac:
    But I tihnk the depression stems from the fact he can't stand, play with his daughter, or be involved in football as a coach without taking cortizone shots. Fix the knees and the debilitating pain and everything gets better.