Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Todd Heap to be cut

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Ed Dickson is not ready to be a starting tight end in the NFL. His route running is not as good as Heap's. His speed is reportedly better but I didn't notice it having any particular impact (i.e. "slow" Todd Heap got open more easily). Dickson's hands are nothing special, and the guy cannot block to save his (or Flacco's) life. I pray that some of this is just rookie-level play that can and will improve, but it won't happen in September. Probably not in 2011. He's a project who has promise, but he's still a project. He's not ready for prime-time.

If Heap kept the seat warm in 2011 I could see Dickson taking over next year (2012) but he needs that additional year as the understudy.

Dennis Pitta... the fact that he barely played last year tells us all we need to know about how ready he is. Maybe somewhere way down the road he could be a starter, but not this year. Maybe never.

Dickson is a project?

Pitta is not ready because he didn't play much last year?

Dickson needs to improve his blocking and route running but he's fast, has good hands, good instincts and is a helluva athelete.

Pitta played behind Heap and Dickson as a rookie. With a depth chart like that how much playing time do you expect a rookie to get?

I think these guys are a lot more ready than you do. Better than Heap? Most likely not-at least not yet-but on the other hand Todd is not getting any younger and has a bad back.

Remember that Heap was poor blocker for much of his career but he made big contributions.

I am a big Heap fan and want to see him back and starting, but if he doesn't, it's next man up. I don't think Dickson and Pitta will dissapoint.

I live in New England and watched Gronkowski and Hernandez of the Patriots in every game last year.

Here's why analogizing them to Dickson/Pitta doesn't hold water:

Because Gronk and Hernandez had Tom Brady? Because Gronk and Hernandez had a great pass blocking O-Line?

I'm not saying your wrong but I am saying that it's too early to tell and the Ravens FO is probably in a little bit better position than us to make the call as to whether Dickson and Pitta will be adequate replacements.

I really liked what I saw out of Dickson and Pitta in college and I think it's premature to say they can't be good starters this year.

Also, I think we have to see what Ozzie does with the cap money saved. There are a ton of available players out there to sign so even if we do lose Heap- and Dickson and Pitta can't cut it- we may more than make up the difference in other positions on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    Dickson is a project?

Pitta is not ready because he didn't play much last year?

Dickson needs to improve his blocking and route running but he's fast, has good hands, good instincts and is a helluva athelete.

Pitta played behind Heap and Dickson as a rookie. With a depth chart like that how much playing time do you expect a rookie to get?

I think these guys are a lot more ready than you do. Better than Heap? Most likely not-at least not yet-but on the other hand Todd is not getting any younger and has a bad back.

Remember that Heap was poor blocker for much of his career but he made big contributions.

I am a big Heap fan and want to see him back and starting, but if he doesn't, it's next man up. I don't think Dickson and Pitta will dissapoint.
    If there is one guy on the offense that Cam knows how to utilize its a big, fast, pass catching TE. (Antonio Gates)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Plenty of times. He also made some great grabs that not too many players are willing to try considering they know they'll be blasted as soon as they touch the ball.
    Boller killed Heap's back on those behind the back grabs cutting over
    the middle. Stinger obviously wasn't at the game when McNair brought us
    down the field at the end and Heap dived for the winning catch.

CAM was the coord for SD and that was another game he held back after
    they got a lead and we won it late in the game, just like in NE last year
    and a few other games.

He also had a 65 yard TD for his longest one and had almost the exact
    same yardage as John Mackey of the Colts.

Heap's name will definitely join Mackey's in our ring of honor on the stadium wall.

I live in New England and watched Gronkowski and Hernandez of the Patriots in every game last year.

Here's why analogizing them to Dickson/Pitta doesn't hold water:

1. Gronkowski & Hernandez came in and played at a high level (for rookies at least, maybe for anyone) right away. The lights didn't go on in game 5 or in game 13. They came on in game 1. The talent was there and it was obvious.

2. Gronkowski will block someone to the ground. Then he will catch a short pass for a TD. He looked a lot like a brute-force version of (a younger) Todd Heap. I didn't see anything remotely like that from either Dickson or Pitta in any game.

3. Hernandez will run circles around you before and after the catch, and then score. Saw a teeny-tiny bit of that from Dickson (barely enough to mention) and none from Pitta.

4. I saw cringe-worthy barely-a-speedbump whiff blocks from Dickson multiple times, the sort that land a franchise QB on IR. I did not see that from the Patriots two rookie TEs (though Hernandez was a quasi-slot receiver, not really asked to block a lot so it's hard to judge).

I hope I am wrong and Dickson and Pitta are both bound for the Pro Bowl very soon. I also realize that they were rookies so expectations should be modest, but last year I didn't see anything impressive in their game, and nothing that made me think they're even close to earning a starting TE roster spot.

I hate to say it but they kinda sucked. Maybe they showed more promise in practice that we're not privy to. Fingers crossed.
    Unfair comparison, Pats used multiple TE sets far more often, how many times did you see Dickson on the field with Heap? Part of the development of young players is actually letting them play, Yeah sure Gronk is a better blocker then either guy, Hernandez im not so sure, but they also kept Crumpler in to block. The Pats put these guys in position to make plays, Dickson is every bit the athlete any of those guys are and Pitta has better hands then any of the 4. These guys can make plays in the passing game, but they'll also take their lumps, they have to be allowed to do both.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    This hurts my soul, but its nessesary. I trust Ozzie..

Glad football is back!!
    Hey Bleed - glad you made it to the board!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That really depends on Ngata. All these moves indicate that they aren't close to extending Ngata and need the cap space. If they need more Foxworth is going to be the next target. They probably could then bring him back for half the price.
    I have a feeling they're going to get a look at Foxworth at camp and then make a decision from there. I wouldn't be surprised to see his release announced very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    This hurts my soul, but its nessesary. I trust Ozzie..

Glad football is back!!
    Good to have you on "the other side" bleed. The sunspot was getting out of hand...

Dickson needs to improve his blocking and route running but he's fast... and is a helluva athelete
    I agree with this part.

has good hands, good instincts.
    But what do you base this on? Their college careers? I didn't see that so I can't comment on their college ball, but I didn't see Dickson show noticeably good hands or good instincts as a pro last year. I'd say average at best.

My point is that we saw so little of Pitta that it's hard to make a judgement except to take note of the fact that Dickson - the #2 guy - was mediocre (at best) and Pitta was #3 on the depth chart below the mediocre guy.

Not beating out Todd Heap is understandable. Not beating out a very mediocre rookie Ed Dickson for a #2 spot means I can't be any more confident about Pitta than I am about Dickson, and I'm already not confident about Dickson. :)

I don't think Dickson and Pitta will dissapoint.
    Well I hope you are right and maybe you are. I will certainly be rooting for Dickson and Pitta. I'm just not optimistic.

Also, I think we have to see what Ozzie does with the cap money saved. There are a ton of available players out there to sign so even if we do lose Heap- and Dickson and Pitta can't cut it- we may more than make up the difference in other positions on the team.
    I joked about it earlier, but now I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Ravens are going to go spread 4-wide pass-wacky. We'll have 3 WRs on the field pretty much all the time, a WR/TE hybrid (Dickson), and Ray Rice as the RB. I don't think I want that, but our personnel is shaping up that way.

10. Re: Todd Heap to be cut

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    They were good receivers in college. We don't have a clue what type of receivers they will be in the pro's.
    I think you could say that about 50% of NFL players. At some point we all knew that Heap wasn't gonna be around. We drafted 2 TE's last year and there is a good chance we pick up a blocking TE this yr if Heap doesn't come back. It was inevitable that Heap would no longer be a Raven, just sooner than most expected.

I really don't think they'll be a huge drop-off in production.

Judging from Ozzie's past decisions, I don't think we'll be going into with Dickson as the starting TE. We'll either resign Heap or another veteran for cheaper than what Heap was making.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    I think you could say that about 50% of NFL players. At some point we all knew that Heap wasn't gonna be around. We drafted 2 TE's last year and there is a good chance we pick up a blocking TE this yr if Heap doesn't come back. It was inevitable that Heap would no longer be a Raven, just sooner than most expected.

I really don't think they'll be a huge drop-off in production.
    And unfortunately before we know for sure that we have an adequate replacement. Dickson, Pitta, and Drew (might as well throw him in there) have proven nothing. None of them have showed anything that makes me believe there wont be a huge drop off from Heap. The drop off in production from the TE position when Heap was out proved that. And having missed an entire offseason, I am not confident that they are ready to close the gap. I am not saying they never will, I just dont think they will right now.

I am an I'll believe it when I see it type of guy. I cant be confident in a guys ability just based off of physical tools and potential. Many Ravens fans felt the same way about Demetrius Williams and the guy turned out to be a bust.