Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Can Cameron Get the Offense on Track

Yeah I know, we've talked about this a million times on the old board, but we need to talk about it again. It is still the key to being more than a team that makes the playoffs but spins out in the divisional round. I'd also like to read the opinions of the established posters on this board that I don't know.

I keep reading about the issues concerning the defense, but I think everyone knows that the defense is going to be fine. They should still be in the top 10, and maybe even top five. The blown fourth quarter leads were a cause for concern, but nothing like the problems the Ravens have with Cam Cameron's offense.

It was not the right time to fire Cam after last season because a new coordinator would have had no time to install a new offense. I don't know that we're going to see much of anything different than we've been seeing. Cam doesn't have a lot of time to try and get them to learn a bunch of new plays, and I really don't think an old dog has too many new tricks. They want to see Flacco take control of the offense like Matt Ryan is already doing. They got rid of Zorn to get rid of the middle man, and I think that was a good move. If Flacco and Cameron cannot communicate effectively, and if Cameron can not get Flacco to take that next step, then he is not the right person for the job. We all know Flacco is the one staying for a long time.

Some of Cameron's problems are avoidable. How many times did we see the Ravens get a lead and then try to sit on it? Cam played the clock more than he played the other team a lot last season. They were 12-4 which was great, but every game turned into the offense sputtering out and the defense having to come back out constantly after three and outs, or really short drives. The offense did not have that "killer instinct". How many times do you see Bill Belichick get a lead and then pull the offense back in. You don't. He knows his defense isn't that great, but imagine if the Ravens had that go for the jugular philosophy with their defense. They'd be great. It still seems like they expect the defense to seal wins, and that needs to change.

I still don't expect Cam to utilize all of his weapons. I think we'll see heavy doses of Rice, Heap, Boldin, and Mason with his usual vanilla play calling. Maybe one of the young receivers or Ed Dickson emerge, but I don't know. Harbaugh needs to do more during a game if he sees Cam going into safe mode in the second quarter with a two touchdown lead. If the other team is back on it's heels but Cam just refuses to put them away, Harbaugh needs to take control.

The Ravens are definitely getting older, and this season could be the last really good chance to win it all. Cam Cameron more than anyone needs to step up and deliver, or he can go look for another job next season.

What did I miss about where they need improvements from Cameron?

2. Re: Can Cameron Get the Offense on Track

1st order of biz is for Cam to find a speedy receiver to run his "trick" end around play now that Stallworth is gone!

Blog Entries

Re: Can Cameron Get the Offense on Track

I watched the Jets game this past weekend... oh Flacco...how many lost opportunities..

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Good piece. I know you already have read hundreds of times my thoughts on Cam, but I pretty much agree with you on everything.

I think that Cam could get this offense over the hump. The biggest thing that I see from him is limiting Flacco and either he's going to take the steps to become an elite QB and a leader on this offense, or he's not. He's been a major part of the work outs this summer and worked with the rookie offensive guys, so there is some reason to believe that maybe Flacco is ready to take that next step. Cam needs to let Flacco do his thing out on the field. The guy can throw the ball all over the field (yes, even the middle) it's just a matter of Cam letting him do it. He needs to be able to audible.

One thing that I hope Flacco changes is his willingness to tuck and run if need be. The guy isn't THAT slow and while he's no Michael Vick, he's no Byron Leftwich either. Flacco can move and make people miss if need be. Rather than rolling out of the pocket and roaming back and forth just to toss it to Mason for 3 or 4 yards, I'd rather see him tuck it and take off down the field. At least that will aid in keeping defenses honest.

I also think that they need to do a better job of getting Flacco to get the ball out quicker than what he has. I think this is Flacco's fault, but not entirely his fault. Cam needs to call plays that make sense and when your OL is a bit suspect or we're playing the Steelers and their sending 5 or 6 every time, they need to start calling more plays that will get the ball out of Flacco's hands and into someone who can make a play (Boldin, Rice, Heap, etc).

Lastly, and most importantly, Cam needs to utilize what we have better than what he has in the past. Sending Mason and Boldin on deep routes is not going to move the ball down field unless it is some sort of busted coverage or something. Mason is a route runner and Boldin is a brick shit house. We hardly ever gave Boldin the opportunity to make a play with the ball in his hands last year and that's the wrong way of going about the passing game. I understand that we want to spread the ball around to keep defenses guessing, but Boldin is our #1 and we need to get him involved early and keep him involved all season. Screens, slants, come backs, drag routes, etc are what Boldin should be running. Let him make a play. He's 220lbs and most corners are less than 200. Give Boldin the ball in space and let him do what he does best.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

5. Re: Can Cameron Get the Offense on Track

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good piece. I know you already have read hundreds of times my thoughts on Cam, but I pretty much agree with you on everything.

I think that Cam could get this offense over the hump. The biggest thing that I see from him is limiting Flacco and either he's going to take the steps to become an elite QB and a leader on this offense, or he's not. He's been a major part of the work outs this summer and worked with the rookie offensive guys, so there is some reason to believe that maybe Flacco is ready to take that next step. Cam needs to let Flacco do his thing out on the field. The guy can throw the ball all over the field (yes, even the middle) it's just a matter of Cam letting him do it. He needs to be able to audible.

One thing that I hope Flacco changes is his willingness to tuck and run if need be. The guy isn't THAT slow and while he's no Michael Vick, he's no Byron Leftwich either. Flacco can move and make people miss if need be. Rather than rolling out of the pocket and roaming back and forth just to toss it to Mason for 3 or 4 yards, I'd rather see him tuck it and take off down the field. At least that will aid in keeping defenses honest.

I also think that they need to do a better job of getting Flacco to get the ball out quicker than what he has. I think this is Flacco's fault, but not entirely his fault. Cam needs to call plays that make sense and when your OL is a bit suspect or we're playing the Steelers and their sending 5 or 6 every time, they need to start calling more plays that will get the ball out of Flacco's hands and into someone who can make a play (Boldin, Rice, Heap, etc).

Lastly, and most importantly, Cam needs to utilize what we have better than what he has in the past. Sending Mason and Boldin on deep routes is not going to move the ball down field unless it is some sort of busted coverage or something. Mason is a route runner and Boldin is a brick shit house. We hardly ever gave Boldin the opportunity to make a play with the ball in his hands last year and that's the wrong way of going about the passing game. I understand that we want to spread the ball around to keep defenses guessing, but Boldin is our #1 and we need to get him involved early and keep him involved all season. Screens, slants, come backs, drag routes, etc are what Boldin should be running. Let him make a play. He's 220lbs and most corners are less than 200. Give Boldin the ball in space and let him do what he does best.
    I like what you said about Boldin. He is definitely not a catch it and fall down guy. Get the ball in his hands and let him try and run guys over. That is his game. If they don't want to let him do that there was really no point in trading for him. A 16 game Boldin is better than an 8 game Boldin if he's hurt, but Boldin disappeared for about eight games anyway last season. I think what you said about Boldin is a very important point.

They're going to lose McGahee and McClain so they'll have no power game option to fall back on depending on who they sign for the backfield. They're going to need some physicality from somewhere. Especially when you have to play in the AFC North you really need, I hate to say it, a player like Hines Ward in your offense.

Blog Entries

NNS -

If you noticed last season, Flacco and Boldin were getting pretty hot heading into the middle of the season. Flacco was starting to really look at Boldin a lot and they were on the same page. Then Mason had a shit fit and all of a sudden the ball started going away from Boldin. That's where Harbs and Cam need to step in and tell Mason to shut it and know his role. This is also why I think Cam needs to let Flacco do his thing out there. How many times did we see him skip over an open Heap or something to dump it off to Rice or look for Mason? That's coaching. That's Cam telling Flacco who the priority is.

That's got to stop. It's Flacco's 4th year. He should have no trouble grasping the offense and seeing the entire field.

Boldin can definitely be that "enforcer" type of player on our offense. He blocks, isn't afraid to get hit, and will make those tough catches over the middle (except for in the playoffs apparently...), so as far as I'm concerned about 60-65% of the passing plays should be directed towards Boldin, about 12-15% directed towards Mason, and the rest split between Heap, Rice, and the rookies/D. Reed/Hardy.

7. Re: Can Cameron Get the Offense on Track

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    NNS -

If you noticed last season, Flacco and Boldin were getting pretty hot heading into the middle of the season. Flacco was starting to really look at Boldin a lot and they were on the same page. Then Mason had a shit fit and all of a sudden the ball started going away from Boldin. That's where Harbs and Cam need to step in and tell Mason to shut it and know his role. This is also why I think Cam needs to let Flacco do his thing out there. How many times did we see him skip over an open Heap or something to dump it off to Rice or look for Mason? That's coaching. That's Cam telling Flacco who the priority is.

That's got to stop. It's Flacco's 4th year. He should have no trouble grasping the offense and seeing the entire field.

Boldin can definitely be that "enforcer" type of player on our offense. He blocks, isn't afraid to get hit, and will make those tough catches over the middle (except for in the playoffs apparently...), so as far as I'm concerned about 60-65% of the passing plays should be directed towards Boldin, about 12-15% directed towards Mason, and the rest split between Heap, Rice, and the rookies/D. Reed/Hardy.
    Well what is Flacco? Is he a one read QB or a progression QB. I think we all can see that if his main read doesn't come open he goes looking for Rice. On occasion you see him breaking away from his primary read to look for another receiver, and other times you'll see a guy just wide open as can be and Flacco doesn't go to him. I don't know if Flacco has the ability to go through reads and process information quickly, or he was taught to go looking for the dump off because he has a guy who can move the ball just dinking and dunking it. Rice gets the yards but it doesn't display much quarterbacking when Flacco does that the entire game. It's hard to say how much is Cam and how much is Flacco when looking at how plays are executed. Cam sitting on leads and not going for bigger leads is definitely all on him. That lack of aggressiveness costs games, or turns blowouts into fourth quarter nail biters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens open up the offense some this season. Coaches usually coach with their own future somewhere in their mind. For Cam, that has to be right there is the main compartment. He knows he's gone if he doesn't utilize his weapons and costs the Ravens a game or two.

I also think the Ravens should go shotgun a lot more - it's what Flacco ran all the time in college, so you know he has to be comfortable with it, and with the receivers the Ravens drafted, they have the potential to go 4WR sets if they want to do so.

Blog Entries

I too would like to see them line up in shot gun more. Let the kid sling it fer chrissakes.

I think were gonna see a different offense September 11th. Watch Flacco spread out Pittsburgh's D.

I really think Harbaugh knows that this is the way things have to play out if this team is ever gonna break through that ceiling. Players win games. Flacco needs to take this season as an opportunity to prepare for the moment in the playoffs where he'll have to make the play.

And the rest of the team needs to hold up their end of the bargain (D in ATL, Housh and Boldin at PIT, Haushka at MIN, Clayton in NE)

Here we are again, pretty much where we thought we'd be. In January we were all ready to tar, feather and ride Cam out of town on the rattiest rail we could find. Then, when the CBA fell to pieces and everyone had to except the fact that we would be stuck with him for better or worse for at least one more season. So what will be the outcome?

IMO, Cam will do his best to conform to what ever type of plan Ozzie and Harbaugh have in mind for the offense. Joe will have his chance to shine, but judging by the flurry of cuts that are set to happen, (Mason and Heap) Flacco is going to have a lot of adapting to do. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing) I'd like to blame all of our offensive woes on Cam (that would be easy) but I can't. There were times last season where Flacco looked extremely lackluster. Cam or no Cam, Joe has to be able to muster up his guys and lead the charge and there were times last season where I found myself wondering if he were really able to do that. Conversely, Joe took a lot of heat for things that he had absolutely no control over. I just hope that he and Cam can set aside there issues and work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I watched the Jets game this past weekend... oh Flacco...how many lost opportunities..
    I remember.