Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Any interest in Keyshawn Johnson?

He was released by Carolina yesterday....just curious if anyone thinks he might be a good fit here. Would he be a better fit than Mason for a possession type WR?

FM

Re: Any interest in Keyshawn Johnson?

If I could replace Mason for Keyshawn for free, I would, but as it is it's totally not worth it. He's a good receiver, but he's too digruntled and selfish, and I think we don't need any help at WR for now, especially at the price he's likely to command

The thing with Mason is, he and Clayton seem like exact clones of each other. Both about the same height/weight, good hand, able to find soft spots in zones. If there is a particular route we want run, we usually choose to run it for Clayton because there is a better chance with his quickness to break it for a big gain. Thereby, Clayton gets more balls and Mason complains.

I would rather have Keyshawn than Mason, just because he's tall and would add variety to the offense. But factoring in his asking price (assuming high) and his mouth (locker room chemistry) I'll stick with Mason.

I love Mason for 2 reasons.
    1. Earned my respect playing his heart out in our wars with the Titans.
    2. Still enamored with any Raven's reciever who can catch on 3rd down, and he was the first. 15 yard square in anyone?

I would rather have him than Mason, but I would be suprised if the FO has any interest.

Wouldn't want them both. Johnson isn't going to go anywhere he won't be starting, and having him and Mason starting would stunt the development of Clayton, as well as make Williams role in the offense almost non-existent. If the Ravens believe Clayton and Williams will be their premier WRs as soon as 2008, that can't happen.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

The more I think about Johnson the more intriguing it becomes. He is bigger than Mason and can actually break a tackle once in a while. Plus w/ his size w/ him on the field w/ DW, there will be a mismatch on some DB. I agree, no way we could have both, but I am not a Mason fan.

Yes KJ has a mouth, but he is pretty fearless over the middle and known to be a very good blocker too. But I am sure the cost it too high.

Oh well....just thinking out loud.

FM

Keyshawn Johnson? Just . . . say . . . NO!

For once, we are pretty set at WR. Mason may have acted like a bit of a prick toward the end of last season, but he's a Jimmy Stewart good-guy character compared to Keyshawn. We don't need him -- no, no, no.

No please no too much trouble. He's lost a lot anyway

You have to wonder why the WR needy Panthers would get rid of KJ. It certainly raises suspicions. If you watched him on ESPN's draft coverage, you may have heard him for all intents and purposes throw any Carolina receiver not named Keyshawn or Steve Smith under the bus.

Do we want that potential distraction?

Also consider that to cut Derrick Mason, it would cost the Ravens $4.2 million in cap money. If he stays, his cap number is 4.4 million. If Mason were to go and KJ were to come, he would at the very, very, very least want $1million. So couple that with Mason's cap number if cut of 4.2 and now you are at $5.2. Not a good move for a team looking to preserve cap space in order to extend Terrell Suggs.

He doesn't have that rapport with McNair and he doesn't know that Ravens' system.

I vote pass....

If financially worth it, I would do it, heres why.....

Clayton the route runner
    D Williams the deep guy
    Keyshawn man in the middle
    Heap all over

To me it all makes sense
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    You have to wonder why the WR needy Panthers would get rid of KJ. It certainly raises suspicions. If you watched him on ESPN's draft coverage, you may have heard him for all intents and purposes throw any Carolina receiver not named Keyshawn or Steve Smith under the bus.

Do we want that potential distraction?

Also consider that to cut Derrick Mason, it would cost the Ravens $4.2 million in cap money. If he stays, his cap number is 4.4 million. If Mason were to go and KJ were to come, he would at the very, very, very least want $1million. So couple that with Mason's cap number if cut of 4.2 and now you are at $5.2. Not a good move for a team looking to preserve cap space in order to extend Terrell Suggs.

He doesn't have that rapport with McNair and he doesn't know that Ravens' system.

I vote pass....
    Yea, I was for it before I read this but you convinced me. If ditching Mason were more cap friendly I would definitely do it, but we still have to do the Suggs deal and KJ would want more than league min. so I'd have to vote pass too. It's still intriguing to think about a big, reliable possession receiver to compliment Clayton.

At the right price I'd take him, but it'd have to be super cheap.

We just don't need him, though. Mason, Clayton, DWill, Heap, plus Figurs and Moore will find their places in the lineup too. Plus, he'd only be around for a year or two before retiring.

- C -

If you watched him on ESPN's draft coverage, you may have heard him for all intents and purposes throw any Carolina receiver not named Keyshawn or Steve Smith under the bus.
    For all intents and purposes up until the draft any Carolina WR not named Keyshawn or Steve Smith wasn't very good. That's why they brought keyshawn in in the first place. That is also why they drafted Jarret.