Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions For DeCosta

I'll be meeting with Eric DeCosta on Friday prior to the first rookie camp practice. He certainly takes a lot of time to address questions from the media and I plan on drilling down a bit more. You'll be able to hear the interview on GAMETIME this Sunday which airs from 11-1.

The point of this thread is to see if any of you have any questions for ED...perhaps one that hasn't been addressed yet or hasn't been answered to your satisfaction. If so, post your questions here.

FYI...QUESTIONS DO NOT HAVE TO BE EXCLUSIVELY ABOUT THE DRAFT!

Thanks..........
    Last edited by TL24x7; 05-01-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Re: Questions For DeCosta

1) Not completely Ravens related, but do you think Jerry Jones insisting on a 1st round pick in any trade for #22 overall was/is part of a master plan to get McFadden next year (with Jones being a huge booster of Arkansas)?

2) What are the plans as far as the center position this year? Is Chris Chester, a second round pick, expected to start in order to determine his ability before he is lost like Casey Rabach?

3) What are the chances that Yanda may be able to start at RT this year?

4) What positions appear to have the most depth going into the '08 draft?

5) How much longer will the team wait to find a placekicker of the future to replace the ever reliable Matt Stover?

6) What is the team's planned approach for developing players like Barnes and Smith?

7) Does Figurs project to a 3rd or 4th WR as opposed to simply a return man, especially in light of his stellar performance against a very good Texas secondary?
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 05-01-2007 at 10:28 AM.

What's the outlook for "franchise" QB's in 2008 draft? We're gonna need one..

Will we see significant changes to the roster between now and June 1st other than our recent draft picks?

Are there any undrafted free agents that we are bringing in that we would have drafted had we had a 7th round pick?

What are the projections for starting corner opposite McAllister? Has Sumari truly lost several gears? Do we have corners that can challenge or even win that starting position. Given our schedule this year and the recent additions by NE, having two shut down corners is going to be an important piece to our road to AZ.

Are we planning on trying Troy Smith out as purely a cornerback or will we try him out at any other position?

Is Justin Green going to be ready to start the year out in training camp or will we see more of McClain? How often are we looking at using a 2 back set? Will we be looking at any 4 receiver sets and if so who would that 4th receiver be if we had to play tomorrow?

Do you feel that Grubbs has the skills to start on the line for this season? Will he be asked to play Right Guard or will we move Jason Brown? I personally do not like moving around the chemistry that has been beginning to gel between Ogden and Brown unless absolutely necessary.

Addressing a replacement kicker is a good question and will Koch be doing kickoffs this year to give us an added advantage in field position since he has had a stronger leg on deep kicks than Stover?

What is our depth like at DE and LB? In terms of playing potential, not just names on the roster.

How much was Ozzie hurting after calling an Auburn Tiger and welcoming him into the family.

Why was it if Ben Grubbs was so high on our draft list that he had not been invited in for a visit or even talked with any of our reps prior to the draft?

How can someone interested in scouting or any other parts of the Ravens organization get involved and get started in a career as he did? Do they need to begin in college or do they have people joining the field as a second career? What advice would he have for those that wish to make their passion their career in terms of working with a pro sports team?

Is there going to be any genuine competition between Drew Olson, Troy Smith, and Cullen Finnerty for making the roster, or are two of them destined to depart for either the practice squad or for outright release?

It would seem the deck is stacked against both Olson and Finnerty since neither cost a draft choice.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by donnaj View Post
    Why was it if Ben Grubbs was so high on our draft list that he had not been invited in for a visit or even talked with any of our reps prior to the draft?
    This is a great question that I had, but I heard Eric answer it on one of the shows. He said everyone on the staff was *so sure* of Grubbs there was no point in bringing him in for a visit. There were no questions to answer, no uncertainties to resolve.

Great question and I was wondering the same thing, until I hear ED's interesting answer.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

On the 7/7 - 15/7 the 3rd IFAF World Cup is going to be held in Kawasaki, Japan. Is anyone from the Ravens front office going to be there to check out the available talent?

Considering that there now is something like an IFAF World Cup, will scouting in the foreseeable future have to expand beyond the US, the CFL and NFL Europa (like the NHL) or is the level of competitiveness still too low in various national leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    This is a great question that I had, but I heard Eric answer it on one of the shows. He said everyone on the staff was *so sure* of Grubbs there was no point in bringing him in for a visit. There were no questions to answer, no uncertainties to resolve.

Great question and I was wondering the same thing, until I hear ED's interesting answer.
    Funny I was going to answer the same question in a different way.

It was mentioned a month or so ago, that most visits here are either medical, or a way of evaluating qestion marks intended to move people DOWN the draft board, not the other way. Meaning, Grubbs wasn't a G/WT tweener, if he were he may have been brought in, as a way of ELIMINATING the T part, if it would lower the value. People with character issues could be brought in to accss that situation. Luckily Grubbs had none of that. He is a solid citizen and a complete football player who is an excellent athlete.

How did the Ravens have Troy Smith ranked compared to the other QBs in the draft? If Beck had also been there late in the 5th round would he have been our pick instead of Smith?

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    How did the Ravens have Troy Smith ranked compared to the other QBs in the draft? If Beck had also been there late in the 5th round would he have been our pick instead of Smith?

FM
    I can tell you he absolutely would have been our pick in the fifth. I think a better question is would Beck been our pick in the 2nd round at 61 overall.

Turning back to the OP. . .

What positions are we looking to fill via the scrap heap of cuts from other teams, now that we have our draft & first round of FA's?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I spoke to Eric today in his office and we will play the interview in its entirety on Sunday during GAMETIME. Some very interesting things revealed by the Ravens Director of College Scouting.

FYI...GAMETIME will be extended by 1 hour this week from 11-2 on Sunday.