Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Just how NFL-ready is Jimmy Smith?

I'd look to Joe Haden, 7th overall pick for the Browns last year as a good example

Eased into the lineup, played nickle and by Week 11 took over as starter.
    Had a fine rookie year and 6 INT's.
    And now his place in the starting lineup is set

I don't expect Jimmy Smith to be a starter day one.
    But he'll definitely be playing against the Steelers and see some action, maybe man to man with Wallace.

Can't wait for Week 1 anyway

Blog Entries

Oz said Jimmy can start but would you start him vs Pissburgh?

Webb still deserves that right being the vet unless we lose Carr and Wilson,
    then move Webb over or Jimmy over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    All true. I don't want to overstate the issue. But it concerns me to hear that the guy played in a poorly coached system and maybe was getting by on talent alone.
    It wouldnt be the first time it happened in the NFL. And to be honest its only a problem when they begin to age and their physical talents begin to diminish. Then you see a sharp and immediate decline in play (think Cmac) instead of a steady but slow decline, like Ray or Ed.

Blog Entries

Outside of one play where Mattison let Ben stand in the pocket for too long, Pittsburgh's receivers have not been the problem for the Ravens. Pittsburgh really has not put up a lot of points against the Ravens.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Smith is smart, he's had a playbook since draft day so he's had time to study the scheme. Coaches weren't allowed to have any personal contact with the players, but I think most everyone assumes that teams found a way around that rule and have had some sort of communication with the players. I don't think that Smith will be 100% NFL ready, but he will have the advantage of having had the playbook because he was drafted before the ruling barring the lockout was overturned. I also think that the Ravens will come out of this as having found the steal of the 2011 draft in Smith when all is said and done.