Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Players: "We got tricked..."

I have a general knowledge of history and facts and it is a little difficult for me to swallow Vonnie Holliday's electronic outburst channeling Malcom X. Jim Crow laws and a new CBA are soooooo many oceans apart. His momma needs to backhand him in the mouth.

I'm on the player's side, and have been since the beginning. I'm pro-business... ethically and morally responsible business. People are a company's best resource. Treat them like a resource and they help you bring in profits. When a company's leadership follows this primary principle it explains the reason why the Ravens are the way they are and the Bengals are the way THEY are.

That being said....the players really look bad right now. BTW, remind me to play poker with Vonnie Holliday. As soon as he gets a bad card.... outburst!

These guys need to get their signed cards in, read the CBA changes and decide how to proceed. Puking their discontent all over social media isn't helping their cause one iota!
    Last edited by SC_Raven_Fan; 07-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Players: "We got tricked..."

Cry me a river. shoulda elected better leadership

Blog Entries

in this day of email, ftp sites, etc. there is no excuse for not having the current proposal in their hands. I call BS

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Cry me a river. shoulda elected better leadership
    :word

And I'm sorry, but the comparison to this work force to that of the rest of us is laughable.

I too am pro business but the primary reason the Ravens are they way they are the Bengals are the way they are is due to OWNERSHIP. Not the players.

Players come and players go. We love them for what they accomplish on the field. No question they offer a valuable contribution to the game.

But they are a dime a dozen. If one goes down, there are 20 others chomping at the bit and would kill to fill their shoes.

The same cannot be said about the 31 other owners. Successful, wealthy people who take one hell of a gamble with their millions do not grown on trees.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 07-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.

And if both sides wouldn't have dragged their feet on this matter for the past 5 months, neither would be in this position. But, as usual, they decided to drag it out until the 11th hour, where the cancellation of games will hurt local businesses and people working for a living. Not that any of them really care about those "little people".

Blog Entries

Wasn't Foxworth there with De Smith? What about Kevin Mawae? Weren't these guys supposed to relay whatever was going on back to the player reps? This sounds like the reps had no clue what was being negotiated. If that's the case then what about this? Nakamura says they just need time to review it and now lots of players have issues with what Foxworth and Smith are selling them

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/bl...cc4c03286.html

Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth has been keeping the players briefed on the latest labor developments. He's on the NFL Players Association executive committee and a key figure in the labor talks.

"From talking to Fox, he said there's been a deal that's pretty good," safety Haruki Nakamura said before teeing off. "What the owners did, in the business world, it's what you call a power play. I would feel like if we had the advantage we would do the same thing. That's how that type of world works. It happens on Wall Street and anywhere else in the world. It's something that's going on with us we just want to make sure we're dotting every 'I' and crossing every 'T.'

"Fox seems pretty encouraged by the movement and the process and everything else. It's just making sure everything that's been negotiated is in the papers and that everybody understands fully what's going on."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    And if both sides wouldn't have dragged their feet on this matter for the past 5 months, neither would be in this position. But, as usual, they decided to drag it out until the 11th hour, where the cancellation of games will hurt local businesses and people working for a living. Not that any of them really care about those "little people".
    Exactly. Let's not forget how the negotiations went in February, the players made ridiculous demands about seeing 10 years of audited financial statements etc. They wanted to decertify and go to court, this is what you got now live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The same cannot be said about the 31 other owners. Successful, wealthy people who take one hell of a gamble with their millions do not grown on trees.
    Heh.

I'm sure many of the owners have, at some time in their careers, gambled with investments.

It does not seem to me that owning an NFL franchise is a particularly risky investment, though.

I'm completely in favor of resolving this whole affair, Houston, and I don't want to derail the thread, but (a) the owners aren't risking squat, owning NFL teams, and (b) players who are good enough to compete in the NFL are not a dime a dozen.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    ...the primary reason the Ravens are they way they are the Bengals are the way they are is due to OWNERSHIP.
    That's what I meant. I'll correct that so that it's clearly understood. My point is Ravens ownership and FO treat their players well: top-notch facilities, principled approach to the way they treat players, etc. Bengals are $36mill under the cap. Do I need to say any more?

Players come and players go. We love them for what they accomplish on the field. No question they offer a valuable contribution to the game.

But they are a dime a dozen. If one goes down, there are 20 others chomping at the bit and would kill to fill their shoes.

What the hell???? Then why do we have an Hall of Fame, Rings of Honor? So players feel good or have a brass ring to attain?

What you say about the owners is correct but not what you said about the players. Ray Lewis is a once in a generation player. So is Peyton Manning. and Johnny Unitas, etc. Then you have the coaches! Tom Landry inventing the 4-3 D. Chuck Noll winning 4 Superbowls.

None of these guys borrowed $400 million to buy a team, but their contributions are no less admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It does not seem to me that owning an NFL franchise is a particularly risky investment, though.
    Today. No it is not that risky. Just has a huge entrance fee to join the club.

Interestingly, it was not always this way. I am reading Steadman's From Colts to Ravens. The first Colts owners in 1947 put up significant money and basically lost it all when the team went belly-up in 1950.

The second time, in 1952, fans actually financed the purchase of the team by Carroll Rosenblum by purchasing (and selling-out) season tickets at (then) new Memorial Stadium. Rosenblum put up very little of his own money, but the league awarded the city the Colts based on the huge revenue generated by the ticket sales (which made the team financially viable).

Later when Rosenblum sold/traded the team to Irsay, he made millions. Nice work if you can get it.

Blog Entries

If the union and all these player reps stuck to working on the deal rather than sound bites and media quotes, things would be better.

Personally, I am tired of Kevin Mawae who no longer plays in the NFL, Dominque Foxworth who hasn't played in the NFL for a year and may not have a job when it gets back, and Slack-jaw-Smith who wanted to go to court from day 1.

Give credit to the NFL, aside from Richardson being a twit, they have pretty much kept mum, aside for updates.

If players insist that it is a business, then they should conduct themselves as such. But never fear, someone will Tweet something moronic in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Wasn't Foxworth there with De Smith? What about Kevin Mawae? Weren't these guys supposed to relay whatever was going on back to the player reps? This sounds like the reps had no clue what was being negotiated. If that's the case then what about this? Nakamura says they just need time to review it and now lots of players have issues with what Foxworth and Smith are selling them

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/bl...cc4c03286.html

Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth has been keeping the players briefed on the latest labor developments. He's on the NFL Players Association executive committee and a key figure in the labor talks.

"From talking to Fox, he said there's been a deal that's pretty good," safety Haruki Nakamura said before teeing off. "What the owners did, in the business world, it's what you call a power play. I would feel like if we had the advantage we would do the same thing. That's how that type of world works. It happens on Wall Street and anywhere else in the world. It's something that's going on with us we just want to make sure we're dotting every 'I' and crossing every 'T.'

"Fox seems pretty encouraged by the movement and the process and everything else. It's just making sure everything that's been negotiated is in the papers and that everybody understands fully what's going on."
    Article proves my point. Players need time to complete the review process, recertify and vote. All this "bamboozled" business is hogwash. The owners took advantage but they'll regret it if the players balk at the current deal. CBA really should have an opt-out clause after 7 years.

"I can almost guarantee it will be done," Nakamura said. "I would say probably Sunday or Monday. The best part about our group with the NFLPA we have guys who understand the business understand how to negotiate understand this is such a delicate matter.

"This is going to affect the next 10 years of the NFL. It goes both ways. We just want to make sure that everything is clear."