Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Steve Smith Wants To Come To Baltimore

If the Panthers cut him AND he's available cheap AND one on of our top three guys goes down with an extended injury, then most def get him.

Otherwise, like I said, nice Madden option, but that's all.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    He is a lot younger than Mason is, and better.

I can not see giving up much to get him with all the free agent options out there and most of the WR needs already met, but the guy is a player.
    Mason maybe older, but he's ours, Flacco is comfortable with him, and we got plenty of recievers. Not to mention his antics. People thought TJ was a pain in the ass, least he never clocked anyone.

Few times have I ever not wanted a good playee, and Smith is good, but it is a bad fit.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He's due $7 million this year and you'd have to give up a draft pick. No way is it worth it. The Ravens are going to be up against the cap as it is. They can't spend that kind of space of a position that they don't need. Boldin does all the same things.
    No way could we do this trade unless it was player for player. Do we still have rights to Gaither? Problem is, even if we do, he won't cost enough to off-set the salary we'd be taking on.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

I will say that Steve Smith can still play and can still be a deep threat. However, I believe that it is truly time for the youth movement here in Baltimore. Some have already criticized John Harbaugh for not giving the younger players more time, in their opinions. This would not help with that youth movement. As explosive as Steve Smith is, he would still need time to get into a rhythm with our QB. There is not enough time.

As much as some of Mason's ways make us roll our eyes, he has still been productive and is still starter quality. I believe that his time is soon coming to an end and would not be surprised if he shows ineffectiveness midway through this upcoming season, but signing Smith would keep someone like David Reed or Torrey Smith from getting more snaps.

San Diego would be a great place for him to go. A.J. Smith is practically done with Vincent Jackson, who has only had one consistent season anyway and is still not a well rounded receiver.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    I will say that Steve Smith can still play and can still be a deep threat.

San Diego would be a great place for him to go. A.J. Smith is practically done with Vincent Jackson, who has only had one consistent season anyway and is still not a well rounded receiver.
    Huh? Vince Jackson is a beast. Steve Smith, I like but would not give up much or try to make room for, Vince Jackson on the other hand, I would.

Jackson is a 17 ypc guy who had 3 TDs in 5 games last year, 9 and 7 in back to back 1,000 plus yard seasons the previous 2, and he is only 28.

I like our young group of WRs and think Mason still has another good season in him, but Jackson is a top 5 WR, well rounded or not. There are other off field issues that have kept him from getting that contract extension instead of RFA tenders and the franchise tag, but the guy is a playmaker that demands double coverage and beats it. I have even seen Asomugha struggle with him and give up an easy TD.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Ravens are already crowded at wr. Last thing they need is another over 30 past his prime wr. Any extra cap space needs to be spent on improving the pass rush.

Blog Entries

Vincent Jackson is not the most reliable pass catcher. I can think of ten players, off the top of my head (Nevermind how they were all able to fit up there), who run better routes than him. He is one dimensional. He is not good in short yardage situations or going over the middle. He is a deep threat who will win most jump-ball situations. That is all.

The label on him was similar to Demetrius Williams. He would make an acrobatic catch, but run a bad route and/or drop the easy pass. That is who Vincent Jackson is, but with more play-making ability down the field.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Vincent Jackson is not the most reliable pass catcher. I can think of ten players, off the top of my head (Nevermind how they were all able to fit up there), who run better routes than him. He is one dimensional. He is not good in short yardage situations or going over the middle. He is a deep threat who will win most jump-ball situations. That is all.

The label on him was similar to Demetrius Williams. He would make an acrobatic catch, but run a bad route and/or drop the easy pass. That is who Vincent Jackson is, but with more play-making ability down the field.
    Demetrius Williams? When did he ever have a 1,000 yard season?
    I am not saying Jackson is Larry Fitzgerald or anything, but he is a lot closer to Larry than he is to Demetrius.

:T2:

Jackson's not coming back to SD at this point, right?

That said, I dunno why you say he's only had one consistent year. Prior to last year when he moped his way to the bench for 11 games, he had 2,265 yards and 16 TDs in the previous two years. And it's not like '08 was just a couple huge games or something. Six games with 5+ receptions, seven with 70+ yards, all 7 TDs in separate games. He's been amazingly consistent for the two years prior to last year, and even last year he was on a pace for 800 yards and 9 TDs with only five games played.

Dude, you let me know the next time you hear the names Vincent Jackson and Demetrius Williams in the same sentence. I'm sorry, but that's flat crazy talk to think the label on him was anything CLOSE to Demetrius.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Blog Entries

The label itself. That is another reason why A.J. Smith has not given him a long term contract yet, outside of the 'character' concerns and the 'A.J. Smith' factor. He is a one dimensional receiver. It has basically been him and Rivers playing pitch and catch in a weak division. His route running still needs significant work. His pass catching is still inconsistent and he is not a major factor from the short-intermediate range. Yes, he will score TDs, but he will also drop passes that he should bring in.

The label itself. That is another reason why A.J. Smith has not given him a long term contract yet, outside of the 'character' concerns and the 'A.J. Smith' factor. He is a one dimensional receiver. It has basically been him and Rivers playing pitch and catch in a weak division. His route running still needs significant work. His pass catching is still inconsistent and he is not a major factor from the short-intermediate range. Yes, he will score TDs, but he will also drop passes that he should bring in.
    Dude, you are simply trying way too hard to press a point that's flat out not there. AJ Smith didn't want to pay a ransom which is what Jackson wanted. Jackson wanted to be paid like he's the best receiver in the game. He's one of the best, but he's not THE best (and not close to it) so AJ Smith had no intention of paying him as such.

But weak division? Maybe, but one area that division isn't weak is at cornerback. Asomugha and Bailey headline it, and Flowers/Carr are an exceptional tandem in KC.

There are five or ten receivers better than VJ. Then there are a few that are on par with him. But the dude is no question top 20, and very probably would be top 10 on pretty much every GM's list.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Maybe the Ravens should give Jerry Rice a call, he still has the quickness at age 49 LOL. He caught a pass from Aaron Rodgers at the American Century Championship (celebrity golf tournament currently on NBC) and he was gone. I'm joking of course about bringing him in but it's still impressive to see one of the all-time greats still possessing impressive quickness and skills at age 49.