Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Wow... Dee Smith is a smooth operator

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I doubt 200K made any owner sweat... the players buy cars worth that much.
    Captain I dare say that $200k would do well my the two of us, but not the average NFLer. The first thing one must consider is that more then likely the Feds would get their cut up front so that $200k quickly drops to between $140 and $160k. My family and I could live good but we drive an 05 PT Cruiser and Stratus. Besides from all accounts things were going swimmingly anyway this week, there was no showdown at the table necessary to pull out ace cards.

Regardless I am happy that there is forward progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Some of them need to learn how to say no, go make your own money.

Anyone that can not get by for a year on 200K during the lockout, is an idiot that will be broke a few years after they retire no matter how much they make.

I do not think it is enough to keep everyone from finacial troubles, but it should be plenty enough to keep the amount of players ready to turn on Smith well under the 50% threshold.
    While i agree to an extent its pretty difficult for a guy to make a certain amount of money, employ family and friends, retire his parents, etc. Then have to drastically scale back to fit into a lower budget.

Blog Entries

It would be nice to stash $4 Bil. Lets get this thing done, I'll be home in soon and would like to get a pre-season game in atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's my point.

Yes, it would have given the players an extra "month or two". Meanwhile, the owners could go on for a year or two if they needed to.

Ergo, chump change when you compare it to the owners.
    I disagree with this. Most players in the NFL aren't making millions and millions of dollars each year. In fact, the majority make less than a million per season (look at the median, not the avg). $200k is a significant sum of money for a majority of the players.

On top of that, even if it does only allow them a month or two, you can't think that it wouldn't be crushing to the owners to lose out on a month or two's worth of revenue. $9B comes partially from pre-season, and partially from post-season, but it comes out to roughly $1.5B per month worth of revenue they're losing if games aren't being paid. Not to mention the ill-will they pay for with the fans for dragging things into the regular season. Their theory was that the players would crack very quickly if the threat of regular season games being missed was possible. This fund shows that there won't be any quick breaking, which means, if the players can sit tight for a while, the losses are far greater for the owners to consider sitting on their hands.

And on top of all of that, the players just dropped this bomb on them. How can anyone be certain they don't have another bomb to drop...potentially a far bigger one?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

It's a card to play, but I'm not sure it really had much of an impact on the owners - or, at least, IMO, it shouldn't have.

From what I've read, it doesn't give the players any money until the entire season is wiped out, so it seemingly wouldn't be of any help the players until the season would be officially cancelled - say, Oct, at the earliest I would think. Then there's the questions of just how quickly the payout would come, if there was any waiting period before payment and is it a lump sum or monthly.

Sure, it's something that would help the players, but I'm not sure it would be enough to cause that much concern amongst the owners.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

The reality is that, while the owners tried to prepare for a potentially lost season, they never intended on having one. They expected the players to buckle early, as another poster mentioned.

That is why, like him or not, I think that you should give some credit to DeMaurice Smith. He has served his purpose. He brought the anit-trust lawsuit possibility out there to warn the owners of the risks in trying to prolong this lockout through the season, for the sake of a strong-armed CBA. It sounds like the players have made most of the concessions as of late. It is also possible that the owners could have been holding out for more concessions leading up to these July deadlines. So, when talks stall, Smith presents this news.

Now, not only do the owners have to worry about the antitrust issues, but the players will have two hundred thousand dollars if the season is canceled, which is not bad considering the vast majority of players do not make a million dollars anyway. The owners still have the funds to outlast the players, but will accrue far more expenses over that time. Jerry Jones just opened a new stadium in Dallas. Imagine how important a full season would be for him, especially after the Cowboys' poor season last year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    Yes, but a year or two equates to HUGE amounts of lost revenue for the owners. In general, billionaires don't become billionaires by engaging in long-term pissing contests. Top-end players can hold out just as long as owners can. Ed Reed can retire today, just like Bisciotti can. Nakamura, on the other hand, likely needs income. This $200k would have gotten it for him and kept him from wanting to fold early.

Regardless, I like the move by Smith, and it appears it may have had some effect on the pace of negotiations.

Ditto on lost revenue but first I want to say Smith got that idea from the owners who had strike insurance
    to field replacement teams in the 80s with Lloyds of London. Money was lent by Nations Bank in Charlotte
    in return for an expansion team. The bank is now Bank of America.

So the players getting insurance was a brilliant move by Smith. I didn't know that til I saw the above link.

Seems to me the owners panicked this time. With news
    that the strike is over next week, I thought for sure the owners would
    give up a few games like in the 80s. They missed something like, what,
    6 games and players started crossing line.

Like mentioned, top teir guys are rich but $200K would have been enough for the lower teir guys the
    lower drafted guys from last year like Pitta. However, many of these millionaires
    still have payments on their $9M mansions (Hartwell actually defaulted on his beachfront
    estate a few years ago so things are not as they seem) and Lamborghinis.

Did you see that article about the millions Tiger Woods is losing in endorsements, loss
    tournaments due to a knee injury, the costly divorce settlement not to mention his $54M
    mortgage. That's $10M pr yr in house payments for 5 yrs and Tiger is struggling to make them.
    Many of the players are in debut like that so they would have crossed the line because
    things are not as they seem.

Ironically, it was the cheapo owners like Mike Brown and Billy Sullivan that were against
    this deal and wanted to hold out longer.

Now the strike is over just in time for training camp.

W/O seeing the details of the deal but if that 49% take of profits is still on the table, taking
    the owners to court, and getting the insurance were brilliant strokes and Smith might be the new
    Marvin Miller and he's so cool.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-16-2011 at 02:45 PM.

$200,000.00 * 1,696 NFL players (53 man teams * 32 NFL teams) = $339,200,000.00

That is a lot of coin.

Blog Entries

The NFLPA was able to get lockout insurance, but the owners weren't?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    The problem is not with the concept but the way they did it. The owners were free to spend thier own money on insurance, but by negotiating the TV deal to a lower payout that was to be split 40/60 with the player in order to secure 4B worth of lockout funds, they violated the terms of the CBA.

The players setting money aside out of thier own pay or dues, was just smart strategy. The owners could try to use it against them in the surface bargianing and sham decert claim, but they are not going to be able to get any damages award from it.

Hopefully all the legal leveraging will ust be a bad memory in a week though and we can focus 100% on free agency and the ways to sign Asomugha under a 123-130M cap.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    It's all about the how.

The players bought it with their own money.

The owners were in a CBA which basically said they would negotiate with [whoever] to ensure a maximum amount of revenue. When they "bought" lockout insurance, it was at the cost of reducing revenue for the regular season. They negotiated a reduced revenue rate that would be split between players and owners in order to serve their own interests, which screws the players, hence violating the terms of the CBA.

Had they purchased insurance out of their own pockets, it would have been perfectly allowed.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The problem is not with the concept but the way they did it. The owners were free to spend thier own money on insurance, but by negotiating the TV deal to a lower payout that was to be split 40/60 with the player in order to secure 4B worth of lockout funds, they violated the terms of the CBA.

The players setting money aside out of thier own pay or dues, was just smart strategy. The owners could try to use it against them in the surface bargianing and sham decert claim, but they are not going to be able to get any damages award from it.

Hopefully all the legal leveraging will ust be a bad memory in a week though and we can focus 100% on free agency and the ways to sign Asomugha under a 123-130M cap.
    , that dream is dead.