Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs down Re: Domonique Foxworth: "There really is no deal until our players approve it"

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Don't be disingenuous T, embrace your anti-union rhetoric for what it is.
    I've always been quite frank about my feelings about unions, and particularly union thugs and bosses. I have no idea what you are babbling about.

Anyway the discussion is about Foxworth and the NFLPA, not about me and who I root for. Let's stick to the script. If you want to piss all over me, send PMs.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Domonique Foxworth: "There really is no deal until our players approve it"

HR, I agree with you that it's political. That's part of my point.

That said, I will drop my political views re: unions and ownership once the games go live on 9/11. I will still give money to owners I disagree to watch players I think are greedy play a game because I love the game and I love the team that represents my city. T seems unable to do that and I was commenting on that.

When he said that he would root against Foxy EVEN if he were a Raven, I felt that that was worthy of note, especially since T is obviously an otherwise very devoted Ravens' fan.

If that comes off as holier than thou, I don't know what to tell you.

Anyway the discussion is about Foxworth and the NFLPA, not about me and who I root for
    If it bothers you for people to comment on who you root for, mayhap you'll be well served to not publicly state who you will and will not root for. Once you threw that out there, you can't be shocked if other people might find it interesting enough to comment on.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

I enjoy a good union v. management intellectual skirmish as much as the next scab... I mean guy :D ;)..., so forgive me for butting in here, but I've noticed that NFL Players Association[sic] chief DeMaurice Smith has seemed to be much less vocal/visible in matters lately. It may be that I haven't been paying attention, so I'm asking the general public here -- did the players/Smith get some PR counseling or whatever in an effort to enhance their profile in the Court of Public Opinion? Smith seemed to be everywhere and a banner of sorts a few weeks/month or two ago, and over the past week or so, I hear and see more in the media about other folks providing the message.

Personally, I don't care for Smith or Goodell, nor do I have much sympathy for either the players or owners positions. Just asking in terms of, has the players side gotten a little more savvy in how to present a public image with things?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    I enjoy a good union v. management intellectual skirmish as much as the next scab... I mean guy :D ;)..., so forgive me for butting in here, but I've noticed that NFL Players Association[sic] chief DeMaurice Smith has seemed to be much less vocal/visible in matters lately. It may be that I haven't been paying attention, so I'm asking the general public here -- did the players/Smith get some PR counseling or whatever in an effort to enhance their profile in the Court of Public Opinion? Smith seemed to be everywhere and a banner of sorts a few weeks/month or two ago, and over the past week or so, I hear and see more in the media about other folks providing the message.

Personally, I don't care for Smith or Goodell, nor do I have much sympathy for either the players or owners positions. Just asking in terms of, has the players side gotten a little more savvy in how to present a public image with things?

Smith is a lot of things but stupid certainly isn't one of them. He decided to take the advice of Kenny Rogers and know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

Once he lost the appeal he realized that the players were not going to support continuing the court battle while the owner continued to improve their offer. Smith then went for the best deal that could be negotiated instead of litigated. He even forced Kessler into backing down. It's just too bad Smith couldn't have figured this out 3 months ago.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

GOTA--
    Thanks for the insights. My perception at the onset was that Smith was looking to this whole mess as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, but he didn't seem to have either a personal view on how he should act/speak publicly and/or he wasn't getting good PR advice. I guess I'm wondering if Smith suddenly got smart, or did "handlers" finally get through to him and the players, and say something like, Look, guys, you need to tone down the act a bit.

Blog Entries

If Smith thought the players had the will to keep fighting in court he would be plenty talkative in my opinion. But, he would also be out of a job quickly and if he does want to go on to bigger things that wouldn't be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    My problem with him was serving as one of the union bosses who have been trying to bring the league down.
    Asserting that kind of opinion on the place unions and pro-labor organizations hold in society is injecting politics into the conversation.

Blog Entries

Like I said, the courts gave Smith the handwriting on the wall, once that lockout was upheld, the lights came on and the cockroach lawyer went scurrying to make a deal least the players revolt.