Re: Ryan Clark says Ravens-Steelers isn't a real rivalry

Quote Originally Posted by mindless lemming View Post
    Definition of RIVAL

intransitive verb

: to act as a rival : compete

transitive verb

1: to be in competition with
    2: to strive to equal or excel : emulate
    3: to possess qualities or aptitudes that approach or equal (those of another)

You don't need to be equal to be rivals, ya just have to go balls out every time you play.....
    Could not agree more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I am sick and tired of this "the Steelers own the Ravens when Ben is playing" BS! Four of the six games the Steelers beat the Ravens with Ben were by 3 points, that is because of their FG kicker not their QB. Let's not forget their D that has made some really good plays to keep those games close enough so Jeff Reed could make the winning FG.

That said the Ravens need to get this stat off of their backs and beat the Ben led Steelers.
    Sweep the Steelers this year and that talk will start to go away. It doesn't matter what the point spread was. All that matters is who wins the games. If the Ravens want to be the best they have to start beating the best.

Actually, we need to beat the Steelers in the playoffs, preferably in their house. That's a daunting task. Is our offense up to it?

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Clark is wrong, of course this is the best rivalry in football.

Opening with this game is a boon for the networks as everyone loves to watch these two teams go at it.

If the Steelers went 2-14 I would want the two wins to be against the Ravens.
    Now that cracked me up! I salute you sir for your brutal honesty and thank you for the good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Actually, we need to beat the Steelers in the playoffs, preferably in their house. That's a daunting task. Is our offense up to it?
    That would help a lot but there is the possibility we may not actually have to face them in the playoffs. This year the Colts, Patriots, Jets or another AFC contender could be in the Ravens way. The Steelers may suffer a bunch of injuries and miss the playoffs, the Ravens could suffer the same fate. Things change in the NFL, the Steelers and Ravens are the hot topic now but things could be different this year, you never know. If the Ravens avoid facing the Steelers in the playoffs and go on to win the Super Bowl an asterisk won't be attached to the win. The Steelers have gone to three Superbowls within the last 6 years winning two while avoiding the Patriots in the playoffs each time, are people putting an asterisk next to their Superbowl wins, No. I like what Derrick Mason said to Aaron Wilson about not just focusing on the Steelers, there are other teams in the AFC who could rise to the top. Lets not forget that the previous two times the Steelers made the Superbowl they missed the playoffs each time. I'm not saying they are going to miss the playoffs this year but you never truly know how things will end up over the course of an NFL season. Right now it's Ravens Steelers, come December we could talking about trying to beat the Colts or Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I certainly count the 2003 playoffs as meaningful when they beat us in our stadium.

PP

Ugh. My first NFL playoff game in person. I remember getting to the playoff watching party my friends were having in Bethesda afterwards, and they were all saying as I walked in the door, "Sorry about the outcome, but, wow, what a game! OT in the playoffs! It was a great game to watch, wasn't it?" I wasn't feeling that at all - without the hype of the announcers, it was just all miserable to me because my team lost. I remember saying, " are you talking about?" and while I wasn't feeling physically violent, the look on my face must've said something else, because everybody started going, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Take it easy!"

Yeah, it's been mostly good with Tennessee, but not all good.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Opening with this game is a boon for the networks as everyone loves to watch these two teams go at it.
    Well, it would be, if it weren't a 1 o'clock. CBS would really prefer not to bury this game in regional coverage - of the 8 1 o'clock games that are scheduled Week One, 5 are on CBS. That's eight markets that aren't gonna get this game, because they'll be getting their own. The CBS affiliates in the six markets with NFC teams on Fox at 1 o'clock (ATL, CHI, PHI, STL, DET, and TB) may carry it, but probably only in the NFC cities that are considered the "official secondary" markets (for example, Chicago will likely get Falcons @ Bears on Fox and Colts @ Texans on CBS at 1pm).

I guarantee you, the league thinks it's a rival.