Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A few UDFA's that could make their way to the AFCN

Quote Originally Posted by BLSmokey View Post
    I would pick up Devine in a heartbeat were I Oz. He's one of those 'story guys' who's overcame a lot and is one heck of a talent despite being undersized.

I would also bring in Herzlich for a look. A guy like that only makes a team better.
    I agree with that. Devine was an explosive playmaker for his 1st 3 seasons and last year he was dealing with a broken toe. I think he could become a Darren Sproles like role player.

Herzlich is well worth a P squad investment. He may never be the player he used to be, but is a guy you want to give the chance.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I agree with that. Devine was an explosive playmaker for his 1st 3 seasons and last year he was dealing with a broken toe. I think he could become a Darren Sproles like role player.

Herzlich is well worth a P squad investment. He may never be the player he used to be, but is a guy you want to give the chance.
    Yeah completely agree. Devine is a home-run threat kind of guy who's only negative is his size. One fact that goes unnnoticed is the fact that he barely ever fumbled in college, even though he was a lot smaller. I could definitely see this guy getting 5-10 touches a game on offense and ST in a Reggie Bush type of role.

As for Herzlich, I could easily see any team who picks him up putting him on the IR for the first year in a redshirt sort of way so it gives him additional time to recover and get his skills back. I would be siked to see him in a Ravens Uni.

2 other guys I like are safeties Deandre McDaniel and Deunte Williams.

Blog Entries

Noel Devine could be interesting as a 3rd down scat back.

His size just worries me. Darren Sproles is tiny, but his legs are pretty stout. When Devine was at the Senior Bowl his waist and legs were super tiny and he was pretty thick in the shoulders and arms. Being a back you want to have thicker legs so they can sustain those big hits.

Devine as a ST's returner and a slot receiver in multi sets could be an interesting approach though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Noel Devine could be interesting as a 3rd down scat back.

His size just worries me. Darren Sproles is tiny, but his legs are pretty stout. When Devine was at the Senior Bowl his waist and legs were super tiny and he was pretty thick in the shoulders and arms. Being a back you want to have thicker legs so they can sustain those big hits.

Devine as a ST's returner and a slot receiver in multi sets could be an interesting approach though.
    The dude was a hoss as a Jr. I am suprised he was not drafted, but would certianly give him a shot to make the squad as a UDFA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkMK7KrMrbg

Blog Entries

Nobody earthshattering, just a couple I wouldn't mind seeing getting a camp invite for a look-see

Patrick DeMarco FB S.Car 6' 1" 237 http://ourlads.blogspot.com/2011/06/...fted-free.html

Jon Hoese FB Minnesota 6' 1" 233
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=FB

Preston Dial FB/H-Back 6' 2" 238 Alabama

OT David Mims V Union
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

The dude was a hoss as a Jr. I am suprised he was not drafted, but would certianly give him a shot to make the squad as a UDFA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkMK7KrMrbg
    Yes, but you also have to take into consideration the type of offense Devine played in while at WVU. That type of offense does not translate to the NFL at all. It's a gimmicky offense, though not as much as when Rich Rod was there, but nonetheless, Devine was in an offense based on speed and open spaces.

That also brings up my second point. Devine's speed is incredible, but speed in college can create the illusion that a player is incredible when in actuality, they're just THAT much faster than most people they play against. In the NFL, you need a lot more than just speed. Otherwise Yamon Figurs would be an all-pro right now. ;)

I just don't see how Noel Devine will really be able to stick with a team unless he puts on weight and maintains speed along with the understanding that he'd likely never be an every down back.

Garrett Wolfe (Chicago back) is another great example of this. His collegiate numbers were pretty prolific. As a matter of fact, I believe he may have led the NCAA in several categories as a RB while he was a NIU. However, in the NFL he's had a hard time establishing himself in Chicago's offense because his style doesn't translate well to the NFL.

Of course there are anomalies like Warrick Dunn and Darren Sproles, but more often than not those types of backs are relegated to ST's and passing downs largely due to their inability to really run between the tackles effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yes, but you also have to take into consideration the type of offense Devine played in while at WVU. That type of offense does not translate to the NFL at all. It's a gimmicky offense, though not as much as when Rich Rod was there, but nonetheless, Devine was in an offense based on speed and open spaces.

That also brings up my second point. Devine's speed is incredible, but speed in college can create the illusion that a player is incredible when in actuality, they're just THAT much faster than most people they play against. In the NFL, you need a lot more than just speed. Otherwise Yamon Figurs would be an all-pro right now. ;)

I just don't see how Noel Devine will really be able to stick with a team unless he puts on weight and maintains speed along with the understanding that he'd likely never be an every down back.

Garrett Wolfe (Chicago back) is another great example of this. His collegiate numbers were pretty prolific. As a matter of fact, I believe he may have led the NCAA in several categories as a RB while he was a NIU. However, in the NFL he's had a hard time establishing himself in Chicago's offense because his style doesn't translate well to the NFL.

Of course there are anomalies like Warrick Dunn and Darren Sproles, but more often than not those types of backs are relegated to ST's and passing downs largely due to their inability to really run between the tackles effectively.
    I do not think he can be an everydown back or anything, but there are a few little guys out there making it happen on special teams and 3rd downs. I think Devine can do for the Ravens what Sproles did for SD, but there is also Leon Washington. Devine has jump cuts that remind me of Donte Hall.
    He was not even a draft pick, so clearly he has his question marks and will be a long shot to make the roster, but one well worth taking IMO, based on how good he was during his 1st 3 years at WVU.

Blog Entries

I do not think he can be an everydown back or anything, but there are a few little guys out there making it happen on special teams and 3rd downs. I think Devine can do for the Ravens what Sproles did for SD, but there is also Leon Washington. Devine has jump cuts that remind me of Donte Hall.
    He was not even a draft pick, so clearly he has his question marks and will be a long shot to make the roster, but one well worth taking IMO, based on how good he was during his 1st 3 years at WVU.
    Leon Washington is also right around 200lbs.

He wasn't drafted because of how tiny his lower body was at the senior bowl in Alabama. I remember reading like two or three articles on how surprised everyone was because everyone knew he was not very big, but he weighed in at the Senior Bowl at like 5'7" and barely 170lbs. His narrow hips and thin thighs and calves were noted by everyone there. If his lower body matched the thickness of his upper body he'd probably weigh close to 185lbs or maybe even 190.

I'm not disagreeing with you that Devine couldn't turn out to be a pretty special 3rd down scat back and contribute on kickoff returns and punt returns, I just think he's a major longshot to make any NFL squad because there are guys who are just as quick as him and just as fast as him and are significantly larger than he is.

I don't think he could beat out Jalen Parmele or Anthony Allen for a roster spot. I really don't. If we didn't have that depth at the RB position, I could see bringing him on for a look-see. Maybe they still will, I've seen a few things saying that the Ravens were interested in Devine and a few other UDFA's a few months ago (Tim Barnes rings a bell).