Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Would be a nice touch if the Ravens put him in the Ring of Honor.

Thoughts?

Re: RIP John Mackey

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    A true Colt great. Hope somewhere in heaven you're with #19 catching balls again.

That got me all misty eyed. R.I.P. John Mackey, one of the best tight ends to ever step on the playing field.

Re: ESPN is reporting that John Mackey has died.

Thoughts?
    A nice touch, but a pretty complicated deal everything considered.

At the very least, I'd settle for the 'Colts' not giving out #88 anymore now that Harrison is retired.

Ravens Owner Steve Bisciotti

We are tremendously saddened to hear about the passing of John Mackey, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Sylvia and the entire Mackey family. I was fortunate to get to know John and Sylvia personally, and I was struck by her love and loyalty throughout the difficult times of his illness. John set the standard by which tight ends are measured on the field, and he will be sorely missed not only by his family, but also by the entire Baltimore community.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome

I am mourning the loss of John Mackey, and my deepest condolences go out to his wife Sylvia and the Mackey family. John revolutionized the tight end position during his Hall of Fame career, and he laid the foundation on and off the field for modern NFL players.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Thoughts?
    Very, VERY technically, Mackey is in the Ring of Honor. I believe the placard says, "Johnny Unitas & the Baltimore Colts". At the induction into the ROH in 2002, even though Unitas had recently passed, I remember the language being very specific about all "Baltimore Colts" being included in that honor.

I dunno, that day I kinda got the feeling that that would be it for the Ravens as an organization connecting back to the Baltimore Colts.

Blog Entries

Re: RIP John Mackey

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    GOTA, your two line post is really very profound. Those veterans who gave their all for the game, and got paid relatively very little, seem to have been brushed aside by the modern (greedy) player (ownership) of today. Players like Mackey should have been afforded an inflation pro-rated pension, and a 'bonus plan', so they could live their retirement in some sort of peaceful economic way. No one of his ilk should go in such an unfortunate way... Bc
    I actually use GOTA88 on twitter because of John Mackey. I played TE in high school and was given 88 because Coach said that anyone playing that position should want to be like John Mackey. This was in New York and not Maryland. Mackey like Unitas and Lenny Moore was a national player. Everyone knew and respected John Mackey

RIP to him and thoughts to his family.

Question: Any hope his brain will be donated to look at whether the dementia may have been linked to hits taken while playing?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

By the way how is it that Indy never retired Mackey's number? They like to pretend that they are the caretakers of the Colts history but they sure don't act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    By the way how is it that Indy never retired Mackey's number? They like to pretend that they are the caretakers of the Colts history but they sure don't act like it.
    :word

Effin' A. Big time lame. Do a google image search for "Colts 88" and look for anything relating to John Mackey.

I stopped on page 6 with zilch. I did see a Saints #88 for Shockey though.

Thoughts?
    I thought he was already in the Ring because he was in the HOF, but see now that he is not because his number wasn't retired. He should be.
    Last edited by flraven; 07-07-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corrected for accuracy
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

If I can remember correctly, there were several Baltimore Colts players who did not want to be associated with the Indianapolis Colts, at all.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    If I can remember correctly, there were several Baltimore Colts players who did not want to be associated with the Indianapolis Colts, at all.
    I can't actually remember any that were okay with it...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid