Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The 2001 Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    As arrogant as Grbac was in the locker room and so forth, Jamal Lewis' injury was the main reason why it did not work. With the way that Dilfer threw the ball during the 2000 season, there was no way they would have made it back to the playoffs without Jamal.

On skill, Grbac was a good choice. On intangibles he was not. Dilfer had more of the intangibles, but Jamal's injury was the real difference.

Dilfer should have been thankful to be along for the ride, in my opinion, but I admittedly have never played in the NFL.
    this is true = just think if Dilfer hadn't had Jamal as the main offensive weapon. It was a loss they just couldn't overcome

Dilfer was just fine for what he was asked to be. So what if he was missing throws all over the place in the Superbowl? We probably shouldn't have been airing it out to start with. Granted it caught the Giants completely off-guard, but if they dropped into coverage even a little bit, the Giants may have scored a couple defensive TDs.

Dilfer was asked to come in and manage games, which is what he could do pretty effectively. He didn't turn it over at key times. He did lead a pretty important come-back drive in the season. He did what he was supposed to do...what more do you expect from a backup quarterback. I feel like many people forget that Dilfer was never intended to be a starter for us.

I don't blame the Ravens for upgrading. '01 would have been a disaster with him at the helm and Jamal on the sidelines. But at the same time, '01 would have been fine had Jamal never been hurt and Dilfer remained the starter.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Forgive me for my comments on Trent's toughness, but he isn't judged against me or other posters on this board. He was representing the city of Unitas, Ripken, and Lewis. He was playing the position of guys like Brett Favre and the sport of guys like Ronnie Lott. To judge his toughness, you compare him to people like that - not message board posters.

As for Trent's game management skills, he did better in the playoffs for sure. But don't forget he threw 11 interceptions and fumbled 8 times in the second half of the season. Tony Banks in the first half of the season had 8 interceptions and 5 fumbles. Trent's 'game management' from that playoff run is overrated, IMO.

Regardless, I always enjoy watching SB XXXV again. Let's hope we'll get some new memories in 2011.

Billick's second best quote was in this game and I can't remember it exactly but was something along these lines:

"They don't know how fast we are...they just don't know"

This defense was the greatest single season defense in the Superbowl era. There is no doubt and they were still getting better in the Superbowl. I think if there were more games after the Superbowl, the Ravens defense would have shut out any team they played. They were phenomenal and still don't receive the respect they deserve. The Giants put up like 40 some points in the NFCCG and were completely embarrased in this game. I knew by halftime it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    My hat is off to those prescient few. I know I was certainly sold on Grbac being a future Ring of Honor inductee.
    It was many more than "a few". A large number of fans, at least those on the message boards, were concerned about the impact on team chemistry. Yeah, there were a few, like you, doing cartwheels over Grbac, but there was also a lot of apprehension.

In any event, it's unfair to judge Dilfer solely on the Super Bowl without taking into consideration his game management throughout the late season run to the playoffs and the entire playoffs. He fulfilled Billick's directive of maintaining control of the ball as long as possible to give the defense and special teams the opportunities to win. The Tennessee playoff game was the perfect example. IIRC, he had just one turnover in all four playoff games.

I personally was hoping to see Dilfer and a more mature Banks come back for a 2001 training camp shoot-out. Banks, IMHO, was a scapegoat for the 5 game TD-less streak, which was a total offensive team failure. Banks' passing performance in the 2nd half of the preceding season and the Jax home opener of 2000 was the best we've seen from a Ravens QB. Tripping over his shoes notwithstanding, Banks should have been brought back.

As to Grbac: count me as one of the crowd who was screaming for Billick to bench his sorry ass in favor of Randall Cunningham. I believe that our team would have had a good shot at repeating in 2001 had Randall been behind the wheel in the playoffs.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Dilfer might be the most self deprecating QB to ever win a Super Bowl. Watch Americas Game, any of the numerous times he talks about his time with the Ravens on ESPN, etc. He himself calls what he did fluky, that he managed the games, etc.

Dilfer was asked to fill a role. He was asked to not turn the ball over, hand the ball off the Jamal and find Stoakley and Sharpe from time to time. He did that much and never bitched along the way.

That team was so unique, so special that it's the height of silliness to compare Dilfer to other QB's and their role.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 07-02-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Reading Comprehension is herd

Houston,

I believe the poster wrote that Grbac was being arrogant in the locker room.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Houston,

I believe the poster wrote that Grbac was being arrogant in the locker room.
    Rut Roh.

My bad everyone. Post to be edited ....

Blog Entries

The only score for the Giants was on a kickoff return where the Ravens only had ten players on the field.

If I am not mistaken, 'America's Game' shows the clip of Brian Billick chewing out the player that was supposed to be on the field for that play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The only score for the Giants was on a kickoff return where the Ravens only had ten players on the field.

If I am not mistaken, 'America's Game' shows the clip of Brian Billick chewing out the player that was supposed to be on the field for that play.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Billick yelling at Brad Jackson? I think Brad was the one but I'm not positive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Billick yelling at Brad Jackson? I think Brad was the one but I'm not positive.
    I remember it being a darker skinned guy, but I will try to look for the footage. I may be wrong and it may be Brad Jackson.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I just finished watching the first quarter on YouTube.com. One thing that jumped out at me, watching that game after so long, is that it was a very polarizing game. The majority of observations to be made from that game are glaring.

First off, New York did not stand a chance. Let us get that out of the way. NOT...A...CHANCE.

Second, the sole reason why the Ravens didn't put sixty on the Giants is TRENT DILFER. Can a person be a reason? Yes, they can. In the first quarter alone (I will continue to watch the rest), Dilfer has missed a half dozen wide open throws (literally), two of which would have been easy touchdowns. The toughest pass that he made, didn't even have to be made (An out to Sharpe), because he had Priest Holmes wide open coming out of the backfield. He rushed, however, and I don't think he saw Priest in time.

Joe Flacco might have thrown five touchdowns in the first half of this game.
    DITTO on JOe's 5 TDs.

In fact, Boomer Esiason told Tom Matte at half time the Ravens should be
    winning 50-0 and that's why Billick cut Dilfer. Even the pass he completed
    to Stokely for the TD took forever to get there the CB was so badly
    beaten and out of position. Ravens CB coach saw something in the films.
    Dilfer also struggled in practice before the game. His throws on the quick outs
    also took forever to get there. Most fans don't know that.

Billick counted on Brad Johnson re-joining him so he cut Dilfer. However,
    Gruden was smart and hired BJs college coach knowing that he preferred
    being with him than Billick. So Gruden got even with Billick for knocking
    him out of that SB run. Gruden won the SB with BJ. Billick would have
    won another 1 or 2 with him. Then we get stuck with Boller and that
    set us back 5 years and now we suffer while Joe is learning.

It also didn't help that Ozzie low balled BJ in negotiations but only by about
    $2M. He upped it and we got stuck with Elvis. However, Elvis would have
    won the trophy had Jamal not blown an ACL like he did a couple of years
    before in college. Shannan Sharpe always said we should have won
    even w/o Jamal but the team lost its swagger, especially early in the
    season.

Back to SB35, Ray told Del Rio the game is over when he came out
    after the first series. Jack was shocked.