Smile J. McClain draws from experiences to help kids

EDGEWOOD - Jameel McClain peered into the gym bleachers, his eyes met by a crowd of curious, budding football players as he delivered a message about the importance of education.

And the Baltimore Ravens' starting inside linebacker saw a reflection of his own past through the children attending his fitness and football clinic Saturday at the Edgewood Boys & Girls Club.

McClain recalled his arduous path from homelessness growing up in inner-city Philadelphia to earning a scholarship to Syracuse University and beating the odds to make it to the NFL as an undrafted rookie.

"Man when I see these kids, I definitely see myself," McClain told 24x7. "I see them running around having fun. They've got the passion. When I was young, I was so active that you couldn't get me to stop moving."

LINK

NICELY DONE JAMEEL!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: J. McClain draws from experiences to help kids

It is very nice to see players who make themselves more identifiable figures to the public, especially for the kids. It gives the children the opportunity to see that someone else went through what they may be going through. They can then begin to understand that, through hard work and resilience, they can achieve.