Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Grading the Draft

Yeah, I know we still have 2 more picks, but now's as good a time as ever to grade this years' draft.

I give this years' draft A-

We addressed our most desperate need, something I've been bitching about for MANY years - the Offensive Line.

The FO dedicated this year's draft to the O-line, and in turn we got some real studs. Grubbs will be an immediate starter at G, and Yanda might just start this year as well at G/T.

When Figurs was announced, I was scratching my head at first. The last thing this team needs is another WR, as strange as it seems to say that after many years of having NO ONE. However, after reading up on this guy, and seeing that they intend to use him on ST, I think this is a great pick. An explosive runner with 4.3 speed and a 2nd gear! This is huge. With BJ Sams injury prone, and possible NFL penalties coming down, Figurs might just give us that extra 10-15 yards in field position. In my opinion, that's just what this offense needs - a short field every time. That certainly would've helped back in Jan against the Dolts.

Picking up Troy Smith at the very end of the 5th round was a great value pick! I have my doubts about Smith's abilities to make it as an NFL QB, but at pick #174, it's hard to see any down side to this. Let him work with McNair for a year or two, and he might just pan out. Who knows?

The only downside to this draft is not drafting a very good CB. I think we need one to eventually take the place of Rolle/McAlister. But that's minor, since that need is still probably 3 years away.

In summation, Oz pulls another rabbit out of his hat! Us football fans here in Baltimore should be extremely happy for having Oz as our GM!! Another great draft!!!

Re: Grading the Draft

The only downside to this draft is not drafting a very good CB. I think we need one to eventually take the place of Rolle/McAlister. But that's minor, since that need is still probably 3 years away.
    I think Rolle will need to step into a nickle back role after 2007. So I have to think the Ravens see Derrick Martin filling that role. There is also Pittman, who knows about him.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Agreed. I couldn't have hoped for a much better draft than this

I believe we didn't take a CB this draft because we already got a few these past couple of years, and we don't really know what we have with them yet. IMO, we'll play them a little more extensively this season and next off-season we'll deal with the situation accordingly

Either way, Ozzie is a master!

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I think Rolle will need to step into a nickle back role after 2007. So I have to think the Ravens see Derrick Martin filling that role. There is also Pittman, who knows about him.
    We better find out about Pittman soon. We spent a #3 on him last year & heard how he was a steal & the team expected alot from him & he turns out to be a big 0 last year. I don't know if he was slow on the uptake or his work ethic was poor but that's a big waste if he turns into a bust.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think you guys are underestimating Figus too. He will be great at KR/PR but he can aslo be a play maker at WR as well. Did you see the Kansas State game vs. Texas he was unreal. Micheal Irving actually nick named him the playmaker.

You also have to realize he has never had a good QB throwing him the ball. That will change with McNair.

I give it an A- as well, but we really won't know for a year or two. I hate to say it but the browns look like they had a great draft, Savage did a great job

The Browns did have a great draft but they sold next year's draft to have it and who knows if Quinn is going to make a great QB? If Miami would rather have Beck, what does that tell you?

I would give it a B / B-

Really, it depends on how these players pan out. None of them seems like a slam dunk other than Grubbs in the 1st round.

Troy Smith is not someone I would want backing up McNair this year, but he could be the future. A good value later in the draft, but not NFL ready by any stretch of the imagination.

Two OLBs after resigning Jarrett Johnson. I'm not sure if these guys will be special teamers or depth at OLB or both. But nothing to write home to mother about, YET

A guard who may or may not be able to play RT. Not sure how excited I am about that. We better hope Terry can make the transition to RT or we sign a FA RT quick.

Dawan Landry, no-one knew he'd be great. So obviously, until we see these guys in camp, preseason, and the regular season no-one knows.

But at this point, I wouldn't grade the draft in the A range.

I wouldn't grade it in the A range just based on the fact that we didn't get a true RT that we can go with.

Not a slam dunk, not yet. But we'll see.

I give the Ravens FO A+.

Since the Ravens traded three picks from this years draft to help land McGahee and McNair, they should be a factor in any analysis regarding draft grades, atleast from my point of view.

On the drafting end-
    I thought the Ravens blended need areas in their selections and also seemed to get value along the way landing some players who could contibute right away.

Grubbs , I loved this pick.

Figurs- intruiging return prospect, the speed displayed in the highlights was eyepopping.

Yanda-Liked what I read on him and the few highlights shown.

McClain- The FB I was hoping for. I thought the Bama connection with Ozzie would work in his favor but the Ravens looked as though they got value with the pick.

Smith- Here's a guy many people had slated as a late first to early third round selection till things started to unravel in the Florida game. For me getting TS as a 5th round compensitory pick was outstanding.
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 04-29-2007 at 06:37 PM.

I'm surprised the Brady Quinn trade isn't getting more time on this board. I'm hoping Oz and the crew have a good idea of the type of QB he will be. I'd hate to imagine if he was good. We'll be competing with Palmer, Rothlesb., and Quinn for he next decade. Without a young QB ourselves, I don't think thats a formula for success.

We went in yesterday (and most draft days) with a philosophy of not reaching for players. But if Quinn turns out to be a franchise QB, I think he would be worth a significant reach.

Overall though, I trust in the wizard.
    "A" grade
    Can't wait to see Grubbs bulldozing guys and us running right through them.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    I give the Ravens FO A+.
    Since the Ravens traded three picks from this years draft to help land McGahee and McNair, they should be a factor in any analysis regarding draft grades, atleast from my point of view.
    I thought the Ravens blended need areas in their selections and also seemed to get value along the way landing some players who could contibute right away.

Grubbs , I loved this pick.

Figurs- intruiging return prospect, the speed displayed in the highlights was eyepopping.

Yanda-Liked what I read on him and the few highlights shown.

McClain- The FB I was hoping for. I thought the Bama connection with Ozzie would work in his favor but the Ravens looked as though they got value with the pick.

Smith- Here's a guy many people had slated as a late first to early third round selection till things started to unravel in the Florida game. For me getting TS as a 5th round compensitory pick was outstanding.
    Idiots who have no idea about how players are actually graded. Smith was never a great pro-prospect. He won the Heisman because he was just about the best of a rank average bunch. His mechanics are terrible and we've got a lot of work to do if we want to get anything from him.

His mechanics aren't terrible, but they can get sloppy at times. He was in Kiper's top 30 at the end of the season, pre-Florida. His combine continued his spiral down.