Reporting eligible...number 92

End of the Ngata Era

Haloti Ngata has been used sporadically on offense in 2008-10. Since Haloti last played on offensive snap on 10/10/10, it appears he’s done as a blocker. His career as an offensive lineman spanned 30 snaps in goal-to-go situations. He also had a single snap as a fullback vs. the Jets which I have not included here.

I developed a team success score to grade each play:

0: Incomplete, no gain, or loss
    1: Positive yardage, but less than (50% to goal on 1st or 2nd down, 100% to goal on 3rd or 4th down)
    2: Between 50% and 65% of yards to goal on 1st or 2nd down
    3: Between 66% and 99% of yards to goal on 1st or 2nd down
    4: TD

Only 5 of the 29 plays score out as other than a 0 or 4. We’ll get back to the scores at the end.

In terms of formation, the Ravens ran almost exclusively with no WR, 3 TEs, and 2 RB (which I refer to as 032, most coaches would call “23” personnel). They varied only 4 times from this basic set (122, 221, 041, 041).

Haloti reported eligible (as far as I know) and lined up as a TE on all of these plays and went out for a pass on 5 occasions without recording a reception. It was an injury suffered against the Broncos which may have ended his offensive career on 10/10/2010. Although he played later in the game, his injury caused him to miss just his 2nd career start.

I thought it would be fun to review his plays and see what impact he had. I wanted to focus only on the plays where Ngata entered on the line with the Ravens inside the opponent’s 10. There were 30 such snaps, which I think are best grouped by drive. Here they are:

1-2. 10/26/08 vs. Oakland: Ngata debuted at RTE with the Ravens 1st and goal at the Raider 4-yard line. He threw 2 blocks on the play as McGahee ran right over his blocks for 3 yards. On the very next play, he again threw 2 blocks as McGahee scored on what was essentially the same play. The McGahee mini-stretch to Ngata’s side would become a staple of the Ravens’ offense. Solomon Wilcots said “Now he’s got to learn to stick to a jersey”. A star was born. Scoring: Team 7 of 8, Ngata 2 of 2.

3. 11/2/08 vs. Cleveland: Haloti entered again in the 7-man line and lined up on the left side of a 032 formation on 2nd and goal at the 1. He pancaked D’Qwell Jackson, and McClain ran left and trucked Pool and Jones to score. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

4-5. 11/2/08 vs. Cleveland: Ngata entered as a tight end in the 7-man line and went out for a pass. Haloti slipped off the LoS and Flacco threw incomplete. Ngata stayed in for 2nd and goal from the 2, but shared a penetration by Pool that blew up the play allowing McClain to be taken down for a loss of 2. The latter play was only 1 of 2 that Ngata played with a WR in on the play (formation 122). Scoring: Team 0 of 8, Ngata -1 of 1 (no score as a receiver).

6-7. 11/9/08 vs. Texans: Early in Q3, the Ravens had 1st and goal on the Houston 1. From RTE, Ngata threw an effective block on Okam, but McGahee was stuffed for no gain. On the very next play, Haloti drove Okam to the ground as McGahee ran behind him for the TD. Scoring: Team 4 of 8, Ngata 2 of 2.

8. 11/9/08 vs. Texans: Ngata entered again (Q4, 14:09) with the Ravens 1st and goal at the Texans 1. He drifted right for a pass, but Heap slipped left delayed to catch the TD pass. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 0 of 0.

9-10. 11/23/08 vs. Eagles: Ngata was inserted at TE on 2nd and goal at the Eagles 3. On the first play, he whiffed on his block and ended up alone in the end zone as McGahee gained 2 yards. The next play, he stayed in on pass protection as Flacco threw to Wilcox for the TD. Later in the same game, with the Ravens leading 29-7 and 3:15 remaining in Q4, Ngata was not inserted for 1st and goal at the Eagles 1. Scoring: Team 7 of 8, Ngata 1 of 2.

11. 11/30/08 vs. Cincinnati: Haloti was inserted at RTE (Q2, 3:13). He ran a crossing pattern to the left. Heap followed behind him and caught Flacco’s 4-yard TD pass under the goalposts. One of the great things about Ngata is that whenever he’s in the game, he is the focus of the defense. He should be, because the Ravens ran often and successfully behind him, but his presence also allows for more deception. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 0 of 0.

12. 1/18/09 vs. Pittsburgh (AFCC): He set up as LTE (Q2, 2:44) with 1st and goal at the Pittsburgh 3. Ngata hit Harrison, then chased Foote off the play as McGahee ran behind him for a 3-yard TD. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

13. 1/18/09 vs. Pitt: Haloti lined up at RTE (Q4, 9:32) on 1st and goal from the 1 and pancaked a LB (couldn’t catch the number) as McGahee ran the familiar mini-stretch play behind him for a TD. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

14. 9/13/09 vs. KC: Ngata was RTE on 3rd and goal from the 3. He stayed in as a pass blocker, helping Yanda with Tyson Jackson. Birk missed his block which forced Flacco to step up, then left in the pocket before hitting McGahee for a TD on a slow-developing play. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

15-16. 9/13/09: With the clock ticking down (Q4, 1:22) and a 31-24 lead, the Ravens lined up Ngata at RTE on 3rd and goal from the Chiefs 2. For one of the very few times, the Ravens ran McGahee away from Ngata. He appeared to cross the goal line, but no arms went up and that call was upheld after review. Ngata crossed the formation in L2 looking for a block, but did not connect. On the very next play, Ngata blocked his man to the ground as McGahee stretched right behind him for the TD. Scoring: Team 5 of 8, Ngata 1 of 2.

17-18. 11/29/09 vs. Pitt: Haloti entered with the Ravens 2nd and goal at the 3. On 2nd down, he lined up at RTE in motion to the inside and floated out into the pattern. Ngata never looked back at Flacco as Joe completed a pass short right to McGahee for 1 yard. The next play, Ngata lined up at LTE immediately to Gaither’s left. He and Jared initially pushed Keisel, but Ngata then turned left to hit Clark (who got a hand on McGahee much too late) and then pancake Farrior. Gaither completed the flattening of Keisel and obstructed Fox as well. McGahee had a huge hole with the only obstacle being the sprawling Yanda who fell while pulling. See the link at the bottom of this article for more detail on the play. Ngata looked like a sumo wrestler celebrating over the fallen Steelers. Scoring: Team 4 of 8, Ngata 1 of 1.

19-20. 12/7/09 at GB: Ngata entered at LTE on 1st and goal at the 1 and stayed in to pass block as Flacco threw incomplete. On the next play he lined up on the right side between Oher and Chester. For one of the only times in his OL career, he was submarined to the ground by Packers’ DT Johnny Jolly. Interior defensive linemen typically try to accomplish this simply to clog the line of scrimmage. I’d draw the analogy to simplifying the play of a chess game by trading bishops. Except in this case it’s Jolly for Ngata which is a trade any defensive team should want to make. While Ngata lay prostrate on Jolly, the Ravens ran McGahee right for the TD. Scoring: Team 4 of 8, Ngata 2 of 2 (he’s credited with the block, even when submarined).

21. 12/7/09 at GB: With the Ravens trailing 24-14 (Q4, 9:46), the Ravens were driving to get back in the game. Ngata entered with 1st and goal at the 1. He executed 2 blocks on the play, first pushing Raji, then moving to level 2 to hit Barnett. However, Charles Woodson knifed into the backfield to take down McGahee for a loss of 2. Ngata was removed on 2nd and 3 and Flacco was intercepted by Williams to seal the game. Scoring: Team 0 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

22. 1/10/10 at NE (Wild Card Game): After Rice’s TD on the opening play and the Sack/FR/FF by Suggs, the Ravens were 2nd and goal at the 1 (Q1, 10:33). Ngata entered at RTE as the Ravens ran McClain up the middle for a TD. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

23-24. 1/10/10 at NE: Later in the 1st quarter (Q1, 4:33) with the Ravens up 14-0, Ngata entered with the Ravens 1st and goal at the 2. He successfully blocked Green as Rice ran up the middle for 1 yard. On 2nd and 1, the Ravens ran Rice over Ngata for the score as he moved to level 2 and blocked Mayo. Scoring: Team 6 of 8, Ngata 2 of 2.

25. 1/10/10 at NE: The Ravens were driving to seal the game and had 2nd and goal at the 3 (Q4, 10:35). Ngata entered at LTE and McGahee ran left as Ngata moved to level 2 to hit Mayo and get a push on Meriweather. One of the pleasures of watching a road win is to hear the carpings of opposing fans as you leave the game. Mayo was cast as a villain by the Patriots fans and media for a lack of toughness. One talk show host suggested the Patriots needed to draft “more football players”. How quickly they turn. After an intentional encroachment by Adalius Thomas on the 2-point conversion attempt, the Ravens again had Ngata at LTE for the 2nd attempt. He missed his block as McGahee ran left. He was ruled to have been stopped short of the goal line which was upheld under review. I did not score this play, but Haloti would have had a 0 for it. Scoring: Team 4 of 4, Ngata 1 of 1.

Re: Reporting eligible...number 92

26-27. 9/13/10 at NYJ: In the season opener, the Ravens had surrendered a 6-0 lead and had been outplayed by the Jets through most of the 1st half. The Ravens lined up for 1st and goal at the 1 after Wilson was flagged for interference on TJH. Ngata lined up as the fullback, but McGahee gained just 1 yard. On the next play, he moved back to LTE and effectively pass blocked, but Flacco overthrew the wide-open McClain to the right. Finally, at LTE on 3rd and goal from the 1, Ngata hit Thomas, then executed a solid block on Harris. McGahee ran left, but stretched further than normal and beat 2 defenders with an exceptional personal effort for what would be the go-ahead TD. Scoring Team: 4 of 8, Ngata 2 of 2 (no scoring as FB).

28-30. 10/10/10 vs. Den: Ngata entered on 2nd and 1 at the 1 for 3 plays. On 2nd down, he line up at LTE with McClain lined up almost directly behind him. Grubbs appeared to pull to Oher’s left and fell into the back of Ngata’s legs, causing him to fall. McGahee came up just short as he ran left. Ngata is scored for a very tough missed block and I believe he may have been hurt on this play although he stayed in for the next 2. On 3rd and 1, Haloti was again at LTE with McClain as the 2nd TE to his left. Ngata put a shoulder into McBath, then moved directly to level 2 to seal off Haggan. As he turned he had this muscles flexed, but McGahee failed to score as DJ Williams crossed the formation to slip in behind Ngata to make the tackle for no gain. On 4th and 1 the Ravens sent Ngata as a receiver for the back left pylon. That left 3 eligible receivers (Heap, McGahee, and Wilcox) with some important blocking responsibilities. None of them succeeded as Hunter beat the double of McGahee and Wilcox to sack Flacco for a loss of 14. Ngata was well covered by McBath. Scoring: Team 0 of 12, Ngata 1 of 2.

Additional notes:

• Tony Moll was inserted for consecutive goal-line snaps versus the Texans on 12/13/11. I’d say that’s a good indication the Ravens’ staff has decided they won’t use Ngata in this role anymore.
    • Ngata was consistently slow out of his stance offensively. It’s funny, because I’ve never noted that of him defensively. I think it would be interesting to time, but I’m not going to do so for all the snaps. Some of the most extreme examples came in the 12/7/09 game vs. the Packers when his first movement on all 3 plays came between 0.7 and 0.9 seconds after Birk first moved the ball (timed by DVR clicks).
    • Ngata typically played as the inside TE on the end with 2 TEs. Outside him (typically) would be another offensive lineman, be it a tackle or Chris Chester. It seems to me that made the best use of his style. Since he wasn’t a “stick to a jersey” blocker, Haloti frequently would hit one man then leave him slightly off balance as he looked for another opponent. The first defender would be left vulnerable to being moved or pancaked by a cleanup block similar in some ways to a guard that pins his man to the tackle or center may leave that opponent off balance for his linemate. By having someone with good blocking technique to either side, the chance of getting successful cleanup blocks was increased. There are many good examples on these plays, but 18 is probably the best. On plays 28-30 above, Ngata did not have a lineman to his left. In each case, those plays failed in part due to missed blocks by players to his immediate left.
    • As you can see from above, the Ravens ran primarily the mini stretch with McGahee. Rice also ran this once. Of the 22 times he was used as a blocker on running plays, the Ravens ran to his side 19 times. The only other 3 plays the Ravens ran more than once were McClain/Rice up the middle, which is a mini misdirection play given Ngata’s position, 2 plays where Ngata was the intended receiver and 2 separate pass patterns to Heap where Ngata was used elsewhere in the pattern. So it goes without saying that Ngata’s positioning was the focal point in the offense whenever he was inserted.
    • On these 30 snaps, the Ravens scored 16 TDs on a net of 15 yards. Is the YPPA of 0.5 good? Yes, in fact, it’s excellent. The NFL average based on the given lines of scrimmage is just about 0. A better measure than average yards would be percentage of yards to TD achieved with a minimum of 0 per play. On the goal-to-go snaps, the Ravens had 51 total available yards to gain and they gained 33 yards. Flacco was sacked for a loss of 14 vs. Denver, and McGahee and McClain were each taken down for a loss of 2 once.
    • Overall scoring: Team Success 74 of 120, Ngata 20 of 25 (.80 per play). The Ravens scored a touchdown on 16 of the 19 drives on which he entered.

Ngata’s best career games:
    • 1/10/10 WC game at New England. Haloti played 4 snaps on which the Ravens scored 3 TDs. He registered 4 successful personal blocks and the Ravens ran to his side for 2 of the 3 TDs.
    • 1/18/09 AFCC vs. Pittsburgh. Ngata’s 2 plays were the Ravens 2 scores. In each case McGahee ran to his side. Ngata himself registered 2 successful blocks and had a block in level 2 on each play. The Ravens scored a TD on 5 of Haloti’s 6 playoff snaps and all 5 drives on which he played.

What was his best single play? That’s somewhat difficult since he was a huge man playing on the outside of the formation, which often meant his (smaller) opponent was actively looking to avoid contact. So he was often effective even when he didn’t make a punishing block. My selection is the 2-yard TD scored on 11/29/09 vs. the Steelers. Here is a link to my original article for the offensive line from that game that details the play more thoroughly.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/columns/Fi...s-vs.-Steelers

I was thinking just yesterday, "I need me some Filmstudy!"

Poof! My wish is your command, apparently. I always appreciate your analysis. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I don't know if Ngata is completely done on offense. They're looking to revamp and improve the offense this year. Using Ngata might be part of that.

Blog Entries

When he had that injury scare, they stopped using him on offense IIRC. Don't think he's been in the lineup on offense since. Something tells me they feel like they dodged a bullet and don't want to risk the most valuable player on the team when there are other options.

Blog Entries

It was so funny to see teams double cover Ngata and leave other receivers open. lol.

Definitely better on paper than real life.