Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Last year and this year

I believe the signing of Steve McNair helped tremendously with the chemistry of the team. It gave the team an air of hope. However there appear to be several other reasons.

1) This is the second year under Ryan's scheme. I heard Bilick saying they underesimated the learning curve with the system and the players are now comfortable with it.

2) The contract status of Ed Reed and Jamal Lewis have cleared up.

3) I saw mention of some other additions to the defense, but the other huge additions are Bart Scott starting next to Lewis instead of replacing him, and Dwan Landry playing like an enforcer.

4) The change in Brian Billick.

5) Chris McAllister's new focus.

It appears all of these things have not only helped with the play on the field but in the locker room.

remember last year we played some crappy teams early...titans, jets, browns...didn't win convincigly like we are this year.

Some criticize that we are only 2-0, because we beat two puff teams. To those persons and anyone else that finds fault in a 2-0 start, please find happiness. Geez!

1. We beat a team that most folks around here had us losing to in the Bucs. We had no idea of how bad the Bucs were. Not many folks expected us to just run over the Bucs.

2. We beat two teams we were supposed to beat. That is what good/great teams are supposed to do. Last year, we were losing to teams that we should have beaten (Titans, Lions, etc). A team can't help its schedule. To make criticism for a 2-0 record is ludicrous.

3. We scored 28 points week one and 26 points week two. If we had of scored that many points last year to start the season, we could have started last year 3-0. Remember how scoring points was a major problem last year? Our offense is disjointed right now, yet we have averaged 27 points these first two games.

And please do not start with that "take CMAC's TD away and..." crap. You can't take away any scores or plays from a game. Our defense is the higest scoring defense over the past three seasons, and now it has an offense that is scoring points, while it is still adjusting.

Is McNair lighting up the sky? No, because he has not been here long. Besides, did anyone expect us to become the Bengals, Eagles, or Colts and throw the ball 45 times per game? That's not going to happen. We are going to run to set up the throw.

Anyhow, folks, just CHILLAX! Enjoy being 2-0 and possibly 3-0. We are beating who we are supposed to beat and that makes this a much improved team over the last two seasons.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'm thrilled at the fast start. I do find it frustrating that the credit gets misplaced.

Tex Ritter - Let me start by saying that I truly feel that at the end of the year I am convinced that we'll all be able to look back and recognize Mr McNair's contribution to the team.

At some point during the year it will be clear that our passing game will have improved over last year.

At the risk of being discredited before my thought is fully articulated I'll say that I agree with Brian Billick's comments after the (I think) the Tampa Bay game...suggesting that if Kyle Boller had a similar game there would have been a lot of commentary about it.

So in answer to where my frustration to the public's reaction to our performance is directed...I'll say its towards some fans and a lot of media.

I think a lot of what has been said in terms of the offense being more efficient will prove true at some point. But help me out for a sec in regards to what has transpired so far...lets take a look at last year at this point. Boller came out against the Colts on fire...only to see drives stalled due to penalties and scoring opportunities because Stover decided to miss a years worth of kicks for him in one game.

Against the Titans the defense had read too many of Rex Ryans press clippings and had expected the opposition to lay down for them. It quickly became a theme for the 2005 season. You could almost hear their expressions of bewilderment..."Wait, don't they know we are the Ravens using this great 46 defense, why aren't they laying down?" Then came the implosion at Detroit. One might make a case that some of the trouble was furstration at a lackluster offense. On the surface it makes sense. But the old adage proves true...the QB gets too much blame for failures and too much credit for success. So if the frustration was at a lackluster offense...where the frustration was directed within the offense was misplaced. At least based on what we've seen so far. I think that Mr McNair will be personally responsible for two more wins than last season. We've seen neither of those wins yet.

Sometimes whether in politics, rumors, sports, or whatever a concept gets repeated so often that it is accepted as fact without scrutiny. My observation is that is happening a little with all the credit that McNair has gotten from the media. I can't remember which outlet...but one of the Power Rankings had a comment beside it that betrayed that the author didn't even watch the game/highlights.

I am hopeful that McNair will be able to maintain composure playing with poor pass protection. Offhand I can't think of many examples of players who have. Lack of composure is something that unfortunately may be learned.

In a two game span...the only improvement I see on offense is the run game. I defer judgement on turnovers.

Bottom line, I've given this more billing that is warranted given our quick start. In my mind I'm asking for objectivity in how we evaluate our QBs in Baltimore...thus one day we might be patient enough to let one develop instead of labeling the same performance as last year an upgrade. As poor as McNair's passing game has been this year...its better than it was in McNair's third year. That should give us all hope that the flashes of brillaince we saw from Boller at the end of last year may have been the beginning of his maturation.

Last year was the first year for both Ryan as defensive coordinator and Fassel as offensive coordinator. I know Fassel had been around the previous season but he wasn't the coordinator, as he was last year. I think the players are more comfortable with the coordinators and the schemes.

I also think the attitude of the team is much better, for a variety of reasons. McNair's arrival is part of it, the contract extensions of key players are a part of it, and whoever got into Ray's head and changed his attitude is part of it.

And of course, having a healthy Ray Lewis and Ed Reed is a big, big factor. The defense has been awesome these first two games.

516, I agree with you concerning fans giving a QB time to develop. The trick is making sure you have one worth the time. I do believe Boller is worth the time, but the team really screwed him in the process. For one you don't start a rookie QB when you have a playoff caliper team. Bilick really had no choice since his only other option was Chris Redman, who was hardly a vet Kyle could learn from. Boller did outplay him that preseason. That was the time to bring in a Kerry Collins.

Secondly it is impossible to develop any QB behind a shitty line. Which is what we've had since 2000. A line like ours will destroy a QBs confidence and instill the fear of God on every snap. There is one line worse than ours, and that is Houston's. Look at how poorly David Carr has developed.

Thirdly, when you combine the shitty line with POS receivers for the first two years of a QBs development, then you are asking for failure. You are basically gauranteeing that the only play the QB will have success with is the hand of to the running back. When guys can't catch or get seperation you are going to rack up the INTs. It's inevitable that a QB will force a ball when everyone is covered all the time.

I like Boller and think he has tons of potential. The FO royally fucked up in his development process. After this two year window closes I think Boller should be the starter. I also think we should begin our rebuilding in the trenches, and I think we may need a new GM to do it.

The difference is Ben is instinctive when the pocket breaks down and looks up field to try and make a play. Boller tends to tuck the ball and run (sometimes right into a defender).

It is sad that we were excited when we saw Kyle sidestep for maybe the first time this preseason and declared it a sign of growth. Ben has been comfortably sidestepping since his first start.

And the real difference is that we were the only team that from 02-06 expected the D to not only stop people from scoring but also score themselves. Without the pressure of having to not screw up AND make plays to put up points they are playing more loose and as a unit. That and NGATA.

I completely disagree that our line pass protects better than the Steelers. I think the Steelers line is one of the best in the league, and I think that is a huge reason for their success. I don't even think Roth is that great of a QB, although he does have a nice ability to move in the pocket. He has a great line, and a perrenial pro-bowler in Ward to throw to. He has also always had a fantastic running game. He didn't have that last Monday, and look what happened.

In week one we saw Charlie Batch, who is far from a world beater, step into that position and perform pretty damn well. That shows that the Steeler system relies on more than just the QB.

Ben's pass protection was among the worst in the league last year regarding sacks/attempt. I posted an analysis early in the offseason showing the breakdown.

That said, Ben has been efficient but not a playmaker. His high passer rating is certainly an exception among young QB's. Using him as an example of what to expect from a young QB is probably not fair to any young QB. Regardless, Ben as with all QB's would play better with improved protection.

I dare say that McNair is a better QB than Ben...and he needs protection.

If Kyle continues to develop as I expect he will, he will be more of the Brett Farve mold...high highs and low lows. He tries to do things with his athleticism that many QBs don't.

I've gotten off the point of the thread a little...regarding this year vs last...

Right now....is Landry better than Demps?

YES!!!

I'm waiting until we play the Bengals to answer that question. So far....looking good.