Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Might Gregg's $4.3M salary bump him off Ravens' roster?

Could the 2011 season be Kelly Gregg’s swansong season as a member of the Baltimore Ravens?

Will he even be with the team in 2011?

Gregg’s effectiveness has diminished rapidly over the past two seasons yet the team from top to bottom remains steadfast in their support of the often underappreciated defensive tackle. There have been murmurs that Gregg remained the starter in 2010 largely out of respect for past contributions. And while the NFL is largely a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, it seems that Gregg’s accomplishments, largely unnoticed by many, earned him snaps in 2010 that weren't justified by the quality of his play.

Given the team’s enthusiasm over the potential of Terrence Cody and Arthur Jones, Gregg’s playing time could drop precipitously and if it does, it will be hard for Ozzie Newsome & Company to justify a $4.3 million salary and cap number in 2011 for “Buddy Lee” no matter how liked and respected he is.

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Might Gregg's $4.3M salary bump him off Ravens' roster?

It'd be sad to see him get cut, but business is business. Still, I think he'd have value as a backup/rotational player if he'd be willing to mentor the young players a bit.

Any chance he accepts a pay cut deep enough to result in a fair price if that becomes his role?

Is he the type of player who'd be willing to step into a role like that?

I know a lot of aging players struggle to accept that they are not good enough to be a starter anymore and I'd imagine this gets in the way of any possible mentorship.

Blog Entries

Gregg didn't get a lot of guaranteed money when he signed his last deal. That makes him an easy cut if they really need the cap space.

You also have the Madden Football factor.....and by that I mean Kelly Gregg did his part last season to turn Peyton Hillis into a full fledged video game superstar. That first home game last year against the Browns really stood out as the moment were we all realized that Kelly Gregg was clearly on the downside.

Barring injuries Gregg is going to have to make this team. If that happens they're going to talk pay cut. What a drag it is getting old

Tony, good article.. I think he is gone.

In today's pass happy NFL (~2 out of 3 downs are passes), run stopping DL are simply becoming less important. Coupled with Cody being drafted to basically replace Buddy Lee, his $4.3M owed is just not money wisely spent. We'll all miss him but business is business. (Sorry Kyle C for using you're line.. Its funny that we unknowningly both used the same saying)

I can see him accepting a pay cut to @2mil, but IMO his biggest threat is not even Cody, it is McKinney and Talavou, who looked very capable of doing his job for less money. They also have Jones and Divens.

I thought Gregg played much better at the end of the year than he did early on, when he got abused by the Ohio teams interior OLs.

I am a big Buddy Lee fan, but Rex can have him if it means we can afford Asomugha.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I can see him accepting a pay cut to @2mil, but IMO his biggest threat is not even Cody, it is McKinney and Talavou, who looked very capable of doing his job for less money. They also have Jones and Divens.

I thought Gregg played much better at the end of the year than he did early on, when he got abused by the Ohio teams interior OLs.

I am a big Buddy Lee fan, but Rex can have him if it means we can afford Asomugha.
    Yes the team is loaded at the NT position, i thought Talavou looked unblockable at times in preseason before he got hurt. I think Buddy Lee will probably be gone but you have to admire the career he's carved out, never been the biggest or most talented but always played fundamental sound and gutsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Yes the team is loaded at the NT position, i thought Talavou looked unblockable at times in preseason before he got hurt. I think Buddy Lee will probably be gone but you have to admire the career he's carved out, never been the biggest or most talented but always played fundamental sound and gutsy.
    Which has me thinking, what is your favorite Buddy Lee moment?

I'm thinking it was the time the slowest guy on the field (Gregg) sacked the fastest (Vick).

[QUOTE=TL24x7;266351]Which has me thinking, what is your favorite Buddy Lee moment?

I'm thinking it was the time the slowest guy on the field (Gregg) sacked the fastest (Vick).
    QUOTE]

That was awesome.

I do not think Buddy Lee was all that slow back in the day though. They guy was averaging 100 tackles a year, by running dudes down. He was more quick than fast, but he could cover 10 yards fast enough to be a major factor in both stopping the run and pressuring the pocket even though he did not get many sacks.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Any man who pulls up his pants after each tackle is a real man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post

:grbac:

Take two aspirin, lie down, and repeat to yourself slowly, "Asomugha won't be a Raven, Asomugha won't be a Raven, Asomugha won't be a Raven..."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Any man who pulls up his pants after each tackle is a real man!

That play or the fumble return against the Raiders where he ran out of gas and gave it to Ray Lewis. He should have made the Pro Bowl in 2006...