Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome Sunspot Members

A few years ago I sat down with Admin Steve and we discussed the idea of him coming over from Scout to create a message board that would be a fun venue for members, devoid of sophomoric BS and insults.

It's been a slow but steady growth and thanks to Steve's experiences and thoughtfulness (as well as that of the moderators Steve brought along), the vision has become a reality.

From time to time I have perused the Sun's message board and even jumped in with a comment here and there. Nearly every post was labeled as an effort on my part to direct traffic to 24x7 and on some level I suppose the accusation was true but mostly the intent was just to boost 24x7's credibility and in doing so roll out a welcome mat to Sunspot members to visit here.

But I gave up that approach because ultimately insults were often the result. Instead I chose to stick to the original plan, fuel organic growth and focus upon the quality of posts over quantity of posts.

Sunspot can be the McDonald's of message boards and serve billions. We'll try to be the Ruth's Chris.

Speaking for Steve and the Admins, we welcome all the Sunspot members seeking intelligent, challenging and friendly debate. I hope you stay and I look forward to your contributions to this board.

To the future,

Tony Lombardi
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Welcome Sunspot Members

Thanks Tony.

I'm pretty much done with the Sunspot board. Just go look at it now. It's nothing but boorish commentary from trolls and wannabe Ravens fans. You can't even discuss anything decent because everyone is so concentrated on responding to all of the shit-talking that goes on over there. The mods are no where to be found and as far as I'm concerned they are a complete joke.

I've got no problem with Steeler fans, Jets fans, or anyone else who may have an intelligent counter-perspective on NFL related topics, but people that spend time and color-code words as an attempt to get a rise out of people and offer nothing of substance is more annoying than anything. Combine that with guys who swear that they're Ravens fans, but do nothing but bash our players, coaches, and other fans...it's all just a bucket of yuck and I'm pretty done with it.

I know a bunch of other guys are too.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Welcome Sunspot Members

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I'm pretty much done with the Sunspot board. Just go look at it now. It's nothing but boorish commentary from trolls and wannabe Ravens fans. You can't even discuss anything decent because everyone is so concentrated on responding to all of the shit-talking that goes on over there. The mods are no where to be found and as far as I'm concerned they are a complete joke.
    I know a bunch of other guys are (done with it) too.
    Lu, or can I now finally call you 'wicked' again :D You're so right. Two guys especially, 'numbers' and jtb have destroyed what once was a good board. I do appreciate your PM telling me about 24x7. I would read it occasionally, but now am a (newbie) member. Thanx man... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    (re: the SunSpot board) The mods are no where to be found
    Not true! They were VERY quick to delete Peterman's thread directing the latest wave over here (or, at least that's where I heard about it!).

Blog Entries

Thanks Tony. Good talk is going to attract good posters. I have always read the articles on 24x7. I even registered here a couple of years ago but didn't want to post on multiple boards. Now it's 1 stop shopping. It's going to be a fun season and I can't wait to talk football with those who really want to talk football.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Instead I chose to stick to the original plan, fuel organic growth and focus upon the quality of posts over quantity of posts.

Sunspot can be the McDonald's of message boards and serve billions. We'll try to be the Ruth's Chris.
    Tony Lombardi
    I'm not a former Sunspot member, but I've seen how other message boards get. I greatly appreciate the quality of this board, and it has definitely attracted some great members. I wouldn't have imagined I would find as many well informed people as I have on these boards. It's improved my football and Ravens IQs substantially.

Thanks to Tony, Steve, and all the other moderators for there hard work!

Now let's get this lockout crap over with so I can enjoy the Ruth's Chris of message boards at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I'm not a former Sunspot member, but I've seen how other message boards get. I greatly appreciate the quality of this board, and it has definitely attracted some great members. I wouldn't have imagined I would find as many well informed people as I have on these boards. It's improved my football and Ravens IQs substantially.

Thanks to Tony, Steve, and all the other moderators for there hard work!

Now let's get this lockout crap over with so I can enjoy the Ruth's Chris of message boards at its best.
    Funny, just as I was about to this post, Ray Lewis was on NFL Network saying, "Respect is Earned".

We plan on doing just that again and again!

And btw, thank YOU!

As I stated in the other thread, I started out on SunSpot over 10 years ago, until the IP address crap started. I then moved onto the Scout board (at the time, I believe it was called RR42 or something like that.). That was a great board, until a combination of things happened: Several trollish users started to frequent the board (WSO, anyone?), and turned it into nothing but name-calling and childish bantering, usually in reference to Kyle Boller. Additionally, one person became supreme moderator to the point of unfairly moderating the board (he'll stay nameless for the purposes of this message). Also, one couldn't even use anything resembling profanity, which was a distinct change from how the board was setup before. Thankfully, one of the long-time users invited me over to this board in 2006, and I've been here ever since. This board is the perfect combination of user freedom and light moderation. It allows the user to speak his/her mind, and use profanity if necessary, yet still VERY FAIRLY moderates the board to keep it from spiraling out of control. Additionally, it doesn't tolerate much input from Squealer fans, who almost always come here looking for a fight, despite their initial claims of peace.

Thanks to Steve, Tony, and all the moderators for doing such a great job! You guys have set up the perfect message board - one that makes it a pleasure to read and post, without much fear of some troll jumping down your throat in opposition. Please keep up the great work, and don't ever change! In my opinion, the board is perfect the way it is right now!

Thumbs up Re: Welcome Sunspot Members

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    As I stated in the other thread, I started out on SunSpot over 10 years ago, until the IP address crap started. I then moved onto the Scout board
    It's hard to believe that many of us go back 10-12 years!

When we opened this board, dragging along a few of the originals who revolted from the Sunspot Nazis, through RN2 & Scout, I was concerned that a smaller community might fail due to lack of enough interesting subjects. What evolved, however, was quality over quantity -- I read just about everything posted here, but skip most of what's posted on other Ravens message boards. More intelligent football discussion goes on here than the other message boards. Actually, often moreso than in the media.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Thanks Tony. Good talk is going to attract good posters. I have always read the articles on 24x7. I even registered here a couple of years ago but didn't want to post on multiple boards. Now it's 1 stop shopping. It's going to be a fun season and I can't wait to talk football with those who really want to talk football.
    And soon it should get fast and furious when the league gets back to work!

If by "media" you mean that bozo Tony Lombardi, well, I won't make excuses for his drivel.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    If by "media" you mean that bozo Tony Lombardi, well, I won't make excuses for his drivel.