Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With the 29th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft

The Baltimore Ravens select Ben Grubbs Guard Auburn

Re: With the 29th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft

Kiper says he was a top 15 pick. Only knock is he is a true guard and at this time doesn't play any other positions.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/411859

One of the most unheralded players in the collegiate ranks, Grubbs has that old-school mauler's mentality combined with the new-school athleticism that saw him become even more dominant during his senior year, filling the leadership void on the Auburn front wall.

Not since the days of Alan Faneca (1995-97) at Louisiana State has a Southeastern Conference guard displayed that perfect blend of power, intensity and athletic ability that Grubbs brings to the field each week. Originally recruited as a defensive lineman, he moved to tight end during his redshirt freshman year before becoming a dominant force at the demanding left guard position for the Tigers during his last 32 games.

Playing a variety of positions is nothing new for Grubbs. At Elmore County High School, he competed as an offensive lineman, linebacker and fullback during his four-year career as a starter. Super Prep rated Grubbs one of the state of Alabama's top 10 prospects, according him All-America honors. He was a Class 4A all-state selection as an offensive lineman by the Alabama Sports Writers Association, adding all-county and all-metro accolades as an outside linebacker.

The Prep Star all-region choice registered 150 tackles and six sacks while also coming up with an interception as a senior. He rushed for 130 yards on 28 carries, scoring twice, and caught seven passes for 50 yards that year. As a junior, Grubbs posted 110 tackles, four sacks and an interception. He also lettered four times on the basketball team as a forward.

Grubbs redshirted during the 2002 season at Auburn, competing on the scout team as a 251-pound defensive tackle. He appeared in eight games during 2003 as a 281-pound blocking tight end, but did not have any receptions. Grubbs continued to fill out his impressive frame, as he again shifted positions, taking over left guard duties as a 289-pound sophomore in 2004. He started every game, producing 76 key blocks, including 16 that resulted in touchdowns, and finished his first year as a full-time starter with a 90.38-percent grade for blocking consistency.

He extended his string of consecutive starts to 25 in 2005. Grubbs teamed with tackle Marcus McNeill to form one of the best left-side blocking tandems in the collegiate ranks. He registered 64 key blocks, including 22 that produced touchdowns for the Tigers. For the season, Grubbs averaged 89.67-percent for blocking consistency.

With McNeill and five other starters having graduated, the young Tigers' team looked to Grubbs to fill the leadership void in 2006. He simply dominated the action in the trenches during his final season.

Positives: Grubbs demonstrates very good toughness and works until the whistle to finish off blocks … He has a solid hand punch and very good explosion on contact … He is quick to get out in front on pulls and traps and does a nice job of locating second-level defenders on the move … He has shown marked improvement sliding his feet, but needs to be conscious of not getting too narrow in his base or high in his stance, as he lacks the loose hips to redirect instantly … His hand punch can shock a lethargic opponent and he does a fine job of picking up stunts and games.

Negatives: He will sometimes fall off blocks late when he fails to bend at the knees, but has the body control to recover … When he fails to sink his hips, Grubbs will overextend a bit, but he is quick to recoil and get back on his assignment … When he gets too narrow in his stance, he will lose his base at the X's … He does have some inconsistency finishing blocks in the past, but Grubbs shows great pop on contact and is learning to keep his base wider in order to prevent the defender from shedding … When he gets too high in his stance, he can be walked back.

Has never suffered an injury or missed games, but does suffer from some allergies.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Only knock is he is a true guard and at this time doesn't play any other positions.
    Neither did Will Shields. On the other hand, picking a guard in the 1st makes me wince a bit.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

thats perfectly fine with me
    Ogden......Brown.....Chester....Grubbs.....Terry

Great pick. This kid is a 12 year starter. We got another patented Ozzie steal.

I found Ben Grubbs Blog. It contains just two entries so far and hasnt been updated since early march... Maybe something will get added later now that he has been drafted.

I really like this pick, although I would have been happy with Blalock. Seems like a great blocker, very serious about his play. It's also good that he appears to be the kind of guy who stays healthy

Good pick, good pick

So do we trade up to get a Qb or Chris Houston or Dwayne Jarret or the MLb from michigan everyone has forgotten about ruffus alexander

The mock tracking was horribly wrong all year until last night when I updated it...with Grubbs eeeking out Kalil.

I'm no fan of 1st round guards, but if Grubbs is the type of perennial pro bowler people are saying he'll be...I'll be very happy

So now we can look for a LB, CB, or DE back up. I think may take a QB, if the right fit is available.
    I like David Harris, LB, Michigan or Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas. What about Charles Johnson, DE from Georgia.

I REALLY like Ben Grubbs - I think that is an immediate impact and improves our line. I wonder if he will play left guard and we move Brown or if we place Grubbs at Right guard.
    So far we got incredible talent at the 29th pick - I feel just as certain that we are going to find a great player at 61 also!