Interesting stat - Jamal and LT

I haven't seen this discussed too much yet and just thought it was interesting. Jamal and LT are equal so far this year in yards per carry: 4 (rounded). Jamal has had 58 carries for 234 yards, and LT has had 50 carries for 202 yards. Since this is yards per carry, it accounts for the fact that they've played different numbers of games.

I know this doesn't tell you a whole lot, since there's still a pretty big difference between the two teams in terms of total rushing offense, and the Chargers have Turner, and LT has scored more TDs. And I'm not saying Jamal is as good as LT. I'm just saying this is interesting and people should keep it mind as a caveat when saying the rushing attack is a huge advantage for SD relative to us.

It also tells me Billick and Fassel should let Jamal loose! :hammer:

Re: Interesting stat - Jamal and LT

That surprises me. I thought with 2 lopsided wins, he'd be closer to 4.5 or 5. I think he's going to be limited in his success against the Ravens on the ground. But he may be a force as a receiving option out of the backfield. If I was SD, I'd definitely go this route.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Sorry, didn't remember the direct LT comparison in the other thread.

Also, good point about LT as a receiver.

Blog Entries

what's scarier is that LT has those stats in just two games, while Jamal took 3 to get there.

Basically, Jamal has spread his out because we have a better passing game than SD. Since we have a blistering run defense, this may be a time where LT sees more opportunities as a receiver and I think we'll see SD cut back his carries and throw the ball more.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Sadly, this tells us very little. Tomlinson has very solid receiving numbers every year to go with his rushing numbers; he's racked up that average against a couple of bad teams (and Jamal has done the same); and they've been taking him out late in the game to get Turner some carries and keep him from injury in a blowout. What it tells us the most is that Jamal is being used conservatively to keep him fresh for the whole season. While my fantasy teams may object to this, I don't; I'd love to see him healthy down the stretch and, hopefully, in the playoffs.

Jamal is still a solid back in this league, and hopefully he'll improve his production as the season moves along. But for that to happen, McNair is going to have to step up his accuracy and prove that he can beat teams without the running game; that will loosen the way for our whole offense.

I expect Jamal to have a very pedestrian day on Sunday. But I'm hoping McNair and our receivers can pummel the San Diego secondary. The two greatest mismatches in this game are our receivers vs. their secondary (good for us) and our offensive line vs. their pass rush (very, very bad for us). And they both affect the same segment of our offense. If Billick and Fassel are ANYTHING worthy of respect, expect a lot of three- and five-step drops and quick passes. Their defensive backs will give our receivers a lot of cushion; I'd love to see those quick-hitter plays that other teams often run, getting the ball into the flat at the line of scrimmage and letting the receiver and one or two WR blockers make a play against their defensive backs. But please, no seven-step drops and looking around the field for three seconds, and no stupid end-arounds or anything else that takes a long time to develop (except maybe a screen pass). Let's focus on short gains and quick plays that wear out the defense and neutralize the superior pass rush.

I'm confident our defense will hold LT to an average performance. If Ed Reed, Adalius Thomas and company can show up big and shut down Antonio Gates, we can win this football game.

I expect Jamal to have a very pedestrian day on Sunday. But I'm hoping McNair and our receivers can pummel the San Diego secondary. The two greatest mismatches in this game are our receivers vs. their secondary (good for us) and our offensive line vs. their pass rush (very, very bad for us).
    I agree - hopefully Mason can have a game like he did vs. the Browns, and maybe, hopefully, his first TD of the season.

I'm hoping our o-line doesn't have a huge mismatch against their pass rush. It's a San Diego advantage, sure, but maybe our o-line can step up the way they did in TB. I remember before that game a lot of people were very concerned about how our o-line would do facing Rice, Hovan and Brooks - all considered top-tier pass rushers/defensive linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    what's scarier is that LT has those stats in just two games, while Jamal took 3 to get there.

Basically, Jamal has spread his out because we have a better passing game than SD. Since we have a blistering run defense, this may be a time where LT sees more opportunities as a receiver and I think we'll see SD cut back his carries and throw the ball more.
    This is how I see it. We WILL stop their running game, and consequently force them to use Phillip more than they like, at which point, it's INT time!:p