Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Reid could start over Gaither

Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    hE WAS PLAYING FOR A PAYDAY LAT SEASON AND SHOWED UP OUT OF SHAPE AND UNMOTIVATED.. IF A NEW CONTRACT IS NOT A MOTIVATOR WHAT IS?
    I did not see him play last year. Apparently he had a back injury, unless you still think he and his doctor just made it up because it gives him some sort of leverage.

Football is a violent game. Injuries happen. I did not see Gaither show up out of shape or unmotivated. Showing up lighter, usually indicates a guy that was working out and running a lot, not sitting around eating twinkies.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I also would not lable Tyrod Taylor a "poor man's Troy Smith". He may not have won a heisman, but Taylor seems to be at least an equal prospect that runs and throws better than Troy did coming in.
    I watched a lot of Hokies game this year (and every year), and, Taylor, imho, is a Better pro prospect than Troy. If anything, Tyrod is a 'poor mans' Michael Vick. Tyrod has always impressed me as being very 'Vick-like' in his elusiveness, speed, and 'dart-like' throwing motion.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

From profootballfocus; Gaither ranked number one of the FAs: 1. Jared Gaither, Baltimore Ravens

Age as of September 1st 2011: 25
    2010 Grade: n/a

Key Stat: In 2009 gave up just 12 QB disruptions in 13 starts.

Behind The Numbers: There are concerns over the injury that kept him out of 2010 and some rumored character flaws, but when he plays, just how good is Gaither? Better than most realized — the Ravens line took a huge hit with him out of it. The former Terps tackle gives up more penalties than you’d like, but has always got the job done with his run blocking. The only possible franchise left tackle available.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...nsive-tackles/

4. Re: Reid could start over Gaither

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    They do look like potential NFL Wrs, but I would be suprised if any go in the 1st round like Ginn and Gonzoles did.
    Look out for Marcus Davis, who could be a big-time guy that breaks out this year. 6'4" and in the 225lb range. He runs around a 4.40 with a 42" vertical. Freak.

Ahh, it appears it's time for your regular reminder of how good a player Jared Gaither really is...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    But if there is a healthy and motivated Gaither
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think IF Gaither is healthy and motivated
    There's a reason there's a big "if" there, though, and why the team has apparently decided to move forward with Oher on the left. I hope they're right and he converts, because I didn't like what I saw last season in him.

Still, Gaither's played 11 of the last 32 games in the two years leading into when he was supposed to get a payday. Why is it that people here think him showing up motivated and staying healthy all year is even 50/50 to happen? As bad as Oher played last year, he still played and showed he's motivated, which is a lot more than could be said for Gaither. What is it that makes anyone here think the coaching staff would simply stick Gaither back at LT over Oher?

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Archive this post.

It will be ironic.

PP
    /WIN

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    From profootballfocus; Gaither ranked number one of the FAs: 1. Jared Gaither, Baltimore Ravens

Age as of September 1st 2011: 25
    2010 Grade: n/a

Key Stat: In 2009 gave up just 12 QB disruptions in 13 starts.
    1) When Willie Colon is #2 on any list of OTs, being #1 is not particularly impressive.

2) PFF isn't law. There are plenty of other sites that don't rank him close to that.

3) If Gaither were really in that high demand, we'd have had teams beating down our door trying to trade for him last year when we put him on the block, much like the Bills had with Peterson.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I think what everyone meant is from a talent standpoint Gaither is the best tackle of the 3 and the best suited for left tackle, now when/if we line up against Pitt on sept 11 the overwhelming odds are that Oher is at LT and Reid is at RT but IF Gaither was here and healthy and motivated(which is unlikely) he'd be the starter at LT. Thats not saying Gaither is some world beater or the best tackle in the league, thats just saying at this point and time from a pure talent standpoint he's the best LT on this team.

Wink Re: Reid could start over Gaither

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Archive this post.

It will be ironic.

PP
    You could have a point: I forgot about Harbs' dumbshit doghouse, where talented players get benched for attitude infractions.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think what everyone meant is from a talent standpoint Gaither is the best tackle of the 3 and the best suited for left tackle, now when/if we line up against Pitt on sept 11 the overwhelming odds are that Oher is at LT and Reid is at RT but IF Gaither was here and healthy and motivated(which is unlikely) he'd be the starter at LT. Thats not saying Gaither is some world beater or the best tackle in the league, thats just saying at this point and time from a pure talent standpoint he's the best LT on this team.
    I don't really disagree with any of that except that I don't know that the coaches will put Gaither in without an injury or complete failure by one of the other two. Not saying they won't, just saying I'm not at all convinced they will, and I actually don't think they'll have Gaither at LT unless Oher is hurt.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

*chuckle*

"If."

I'm perfectly prepared to accept that a healthy, hard working Jared Gaither is an upgrade over any LT we have on our roster. And it might even happen, too.

I don't know what you guys have seen that makes you think it *will* happen, considering his past issues... JeremiahW, you love talking about his injury as if it's real, what makes you think it went away?

I'd love to see him dominate at LT for the Ravens this year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's "well" enough to do that, but I'd sure love to see it, and I hope I'm wrong.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Look, I love Gaither as much as the next guy, but counting on him for ANYTHING would be a huge mistake.

Personally, I think the players win this appeal and we hold onto his rights under the 2010 rules...I'd trade him to a desperate team who is not comfortable with their OT position. Maybe the Bills are back in play since they once again neglected the OL. At this point, I'd hope I could get at least a 3rd or 4th for him.

It's just clear this isn't working out...I think this whole mess was handled terribly by both sides...worse by Gaither and at this point, it's best that we part ways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, Tony, but you've used up your annual allotment of April Fool's jokes: the only way that Reid could start over Gaither in 2011 would be if Gaither broke his leg. It may even take two broken legs. Your source may have been smoking dope
    I think you need to wake up T.

The source is towards the top of the Ravens' food chain.
    Last edited by TL24x7; 05-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Look, I love Gaither as much as the next guy, but counting on him for ANYTHING would be a huge mistake.
    And that is why they drafted Jah Reid. People can call it a motivator, or spin it into whatever they like to give Gaither benefits of all doubt. But the proof is right in front of us. Gaither had a good year or two for being a supplemental draft pick. I would even say surprising for me for someone picked like that. But he was not a factor last year, and his attitude is called into question.

I think there is another message being sent here, and it's not "Oh Jared, you better step up.". He had that message last year IIRC.