Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Who exactly?
    Some, duh..
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Reid could start over Gaither

Well TRAP and Jon, you guys could get your chance to still see Gaither play. I was on the Ozzie fan forum call last night, and he said under the 2010 rules they still have Gaither, and he would have a chance to come back and start.

I heard that too. Who knows what the rules will be, but it's definitely possible he's back. The question is, if he is, will he play? Let's say it's 70/30 he's back, which I think is way high (remember, we may also decide to trade him) but whatever. What are the odds he plays much?

Maybe 25% he pulls what he did last year, gets himself hurt (or babies out pretending he's hurt) again and is done.

Maybe 25% Reid beats him out.

Call it another 10% he's hurt legitimately early on.

That's 60/40 he's not starting, which combined with the 70% he's back puts him around 30% to be starting next season. Throw in the very high probability that he gets hurt some time in the season (somewhat off-set by Reid or Oher getting hurt to put him back in as starter) and I'd put fair odds on him starting 16 games for us somewhere around 10%-15%. If I were to set an o/u on games he starts for us this year, it'd probably be around 3, maybe 4.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I heard that too. Who knows what the rules will be, but it's definitely possible he's back. The question is, if he is, will he play? Let's say it's 70/30 he's back, which I think is way high (remember, we may also decide to trade him) but whatever. What are the odds he plays much?

Maybe 25% he pulls what he did last year, gets himself hurt (or babies out pretending he's hurt) again and is done.

That's 60/40 he's not starting, which combined with the 70% he's back puts him around 30% to be starting next season. Throw in the very high probability that he gets hurt some time in the season (somewhat off-set by Reid or Oher getting hurt to put him back in as starter) and I'd put fair odds on him starting 16 games for us somewhere around 10%-15%. If I were to set an o/u on games he starts for us this year, it'd probably be around 3, maybe 4.

- C -
    I would take that bet.

If he is not injured, he is the best tackle on the team. I can not say what the odds are he is restricted, or how likely he is to get injured, but if he is under contract, he passed a physical. Then he is the starting left tackle.

The Ravens always talk up players. Last year with Gaither unsigned they were saying how good Cousins was. We will see who actually plays. There really is no point in any more than the 50 pages of speculation and debates we already had about Gaither.

:T2:

5. Re: Reid could start over Gaither

Some quotes from Rick Gosselin on the Ravens draft:

“I had Pernell McPhee in the third round, and they got him in the fifth,” said Gosselin. “Jimmy Smith, a lot of people thought he was the best cover corner in this draft.
    “I thought there were eight tackles in the draft that could come in and play. They got the last one in Jah Reid. I could see in a few years that Torrey Smith and Tandon Doss are the starting wide receivers for this team. Chykie Brown played on one of the top pass defenses in the nation. Tyrod Taylor has a great arm in the sixth round. And Anthony Allen is a solid pick who can provide depth and play special teams. I think they’re a better team than they were two weeks ago.”
    http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...-draft-rare-a/

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Very real possibility, Oher is a hard worker, Reid by all accounts willed himself into a pro prospect by hard work. If they both come in early and look good and capable of handling their respective positions and Gaither at least looks healthy they may decide to just move on now. Imo this free agency call is kinda weak which will inflate the price of the better pass rushers in this class, Gaither may be used as a chip to bring us a pass rusher and as long as we can get a dependable 3rd tackle in free agency i think we would be just fine.

So there is a little Gaither news recently, and AW has a lenthy report out there that includes his take. He and many others interpreted Ozzie's words as Gaither will be competing with Ried if he comes back as a RFA. After reading the quotes, I do not think that is what Oz said exacly.

"Michael, I feel after him getting one year under his belt, he will take the next step," Newsome said. "If he has to be our left tackle, he'll take the next step and he'll be able to do a very good job at that position."

"We'll put the five best guys on the field," Newsome said. "We realize that when Michael was at right tackle and Marshal Yanda was at right guard that it provided a very strong right side for us. We have to put the best five guys on the field to run the football and protect Joe Flacco
    Now some have thought that somehow this meant Oher was locked in at LT, but I am not sure how they came to that conclusion based on these remarks.

There are still a lot of ifs yet to be determined, but Oz did make it sound as if the Ravens are not going to be a big bidder for Gaither if he becomes an UFA.

:T2: