Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sould you do this trade...

If Jimmy Smith, Muhammed Wilkerson and Nate Solder are gone...

There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1KY37Iybn

Ozzie doesn't seem to value trading back and getting any future picks...but I think I would SERIOUSLY consider this. In fact, I don't think there is any question that I would do it if those guys are gone.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 04-25-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Geez...spell check...why can't I edit the title of the thread?

Re: Sould you do this trade...

Ozzie doesn't seem to value trading back and getting any future picks...but I think I would SERIOUSLY consider this. In fact, I don't think there is any question that I would do it if those guys are gone.
    Some teams may shy away from trading for future picks because w/o a new CBA, future drafts have some degree of uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Some teams may shy away from trading for future picks because w/o a new CBA, future drafts have some degree of uncertainty.
    Agree.

I would rather trade up using future picks than trade down to get future picks. This may be the last draft.

:T2:

rumor iheard is that this involves the browns trading back into the first round (lol please let them do this)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Agree.

I would rather trade up using future picks than trade down to get future picks. This may be the last draft.
    You never disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I agree...it's a chance some teams will take.

I am virutally certain that the draft will not go away so maybe we could provision it...instead of it being specifically a 2012 pick, maybe word it so that we'd get the first pick in the next draft that actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You never disappoint.

I aim to please.

Although I did not say this WILL be the last draft, you have to be aware that it may. Football can continue without a CBA or union, and if it does, anti trust law would prevent a draft.

anti trust law would prevent a draft.
    :grbac:

No, they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    :grbac:

No, they won't.
    What makes you think that?

We can debate opinion all day long, but I do not see any question about that fact. The draft is only legal because it was agreed to in the CBA.

We can debate opinion all day long, but I do not see any question about that fact. The draft is only legal because it was agreed to in the CBA.
    You're taking a legal interpretation and presenting it as fact.

You hold the players opinion on the matter. That does not make it factual.

Until a court rules otherwise, The NFL is a 501(c)(3) operating as a co-op amongst the 32 individual teams. As such can set standards and practices for folks who wish to play in the league.

Nobody is forcing the players to enter into the NFL. They know the rules of the game going in.

I think trading 1.25 this year for a 2nd round pick and a 2012 1st rounder would be a really great move for the Ravens. With the current depth of the Ravens roster, I'd love to bank future draft picks rather than taking a guy in a weak draft class who won't make an immediate impact. Worst case scenario in my mind would be to take a so-so corner in the first round, which causes the Ravens to not re-sign Josh Wilson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    rumor iheard is that this involves the browns trading back into the first round (lol please let them do this)
    When I first read this the Bengals came to mind. It makes much more sense for them. They can take Green at 4 and then not risk losing out on whatever new QB they covet. Locker, Dalton, maybe Ponder.