Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ryan hung out to dry

Its amazing to me that when this budget was discussed last year, most people laughed it off but appreciated it more for its philosophical underpinnings than a practical plan. I don't think anyone thought it would actually be rolled out as it has been; the actual budget plan from the conservative side.

Privatize medical costs for old people, block grant medicaid to the likes of Walker and Kasich et al, cut Pell Grants AND cut more taxes for the rich! Haven't we gone through this experiment twice now with no results?

70% of tea baggers oppose cutting medicare.
    80% of all respondents oppose cutting medicare.
    75% of Independents oppose it.

Start walking it back Pee Wee.

looks like they are starting to throw tomatoes at him:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...eo.php?ref=fpb

an attendee at the event this week told Ryan that he believes the rich should pay higher taxes to help close the deficit and strengthen Social Security.

"The middle class is disappearing right now," he said. "During this time of prosperity, the top 1 percent was taking about 10 percent of the total annual income, but yet today we are fighting to not let the tax breaks for the wealthy expire?"

Ryan protested that "We do tax the top," before being drowned out by the audience's jeers
    Last edited by Galen Sevinne; 04-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Ryan hung out to dry

Jesus Galen, you're denser than a petrified tree stump!

Here's the video for those who'd rather not click on the stupidity that's Think Progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5kgn...layer_embedded

Those people and the guy questioning him don't know what they're talking about. The rich are taxed and as we've shown you numerous times right in this very forum, if every dollar was confiscated from everyone who made over $1 million dollars, you wouldn't even put a dent in the spending ways of Federal government! Its a spending problem, not a revenue one!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post

Looks like Obama and the Dems might have to thank Pee Wee for giving them the political edge going into the 2012 political season.

Last year we had the baggers yelling and screaming because Obama corrected the health insurance system for them. This year they are yelling and screamimg because Ryan wants to screw them for the top 1%. Town hall meetings of Republican constituents all over the country are turning angry against their Republican representatives:

Yesterday, Scott Keyes reported that Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) effort to sell his budget proposal was not going over well with conservative constituents in his district. During a town hall meeting in Milton, attendees booed Ryan for rejecting the notion that the top income earners should be taxed more

and,

Last night, Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) received a similarly hostile reception from constituents during a public forum in Carbon County, as he tried to (incorrectly) reassure the group that Ryan’s budget would not affect the Medicare benefits of those over the age of 55.

CHRISTMAN: Excuse me, I’d like to get something off my chest. And that is, you seem to think that because I’m not affected, I won’t care if my niece, my grandson, my child is affected. I do care. And what you’re doing with this Ryan budget is you’re taking Medicare and you’re changing it from a guaranteed health care system to one that is a voucher system where you throw seniors on the mercy of for-profit insurance companies.

and,

Freshmen Reps. Robert Dold (R-IL) got an earful:

But Dold couldn’t even get to the end of the presentation before audience members began peppering him with questions about the Ryan budget, named after House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Republican from Wisconsin. It began with audience members telling Dold they don’t believe chopping 10 percentage points off the highest corporate tax rate will create jobs. A handful of people in the audience identified themselves as business owners and accountants who said their effective corporate income tax rate is already lower than the lowest rates proposed in the Ryan plan. They pointed to companies such as GE that pay almost no taxes despite billions in profits as evidence. [...]

Some in the audience then told Dold they don’t like the idea in the Ryan budget plan of Medicare becoming a voucher program that makes senior citizens buy private health insurance about 10 years from now. Audience members said buying private insurance is a shell game where no one really knows what costs a company will cover or to what degree.

and,

Charlie Bass (R-NH):

Rep. Charlie Bass knew he was in for a rough night. The first question out of the gate during his Wednesday town hall in Hillsborough, NH was about his vote for Paul Ryan’s budget. And the second. And the third and the fourth, fifth and sixth questions. “I enjoyed the discourse,” he said, almost hopefully, afterward. “It’s important to speak with people who disagree with me. Of course there was going to be backlash.”

And,

Rep. Patrick Meehan (PA) faced a “tough crowd” back home after voting for Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) budget proposal that would effectively end Medicare by privatizing it and handing seniors over to the private health insurance industry:

Constituents shouldn’t just be upset with Meehan because he voted for a radical budget that would force seniors to pay the majority of their income just to be able to get health care, as a Congressional Budget Office analysis showed. They should also be outraged that he broke a specific pledge he made during a debate with his Democratic opponent Bryan Lentz during an event last fall.

During that debate, Lentz noted that the GOP was coalescing around Ryan’s plan to privatize Medicare, and that Meehan would likely support it as well. Meehan flatly said that he wouldn’t vote for Ryan’s “agenda”:

LENTZ: Read the plan of Paul Ryan, who is the star of the caucus Pat hopes to join, turning Medicare into a voucher program, privatizing Social Security. So he may not be willing to admit that that’s the agenda of the Republican Party of Washington, D.C. But it is in fact the agenda. [...]

MEEHAN: That’s the agenda, I’m not voting for. That’s the first and most important thing.

Blog Entries

Wow, good 'copy/paste' job, Galen. At least what you posted made sense for once.

Ten years, fifteen at the most. That's how long this country has. Hell, maybe only five. People can't make tough decisions now for the future. $14.5 Trillion in debt with no hope of taking away whats "rightfully" theirs. The constant focus on giving those that choose not to produce and take from those that do. Redistribution is destroying this country. 45% don't pay taxes now. For the first time since the Great Depression, Federal handouts exceed tax revenue. Its over and people can't make tough decisions.

Learn how to grow your own fruits and vegetables and keep cash on hand. Buy a rifle and handgun and stock up on ammo. Put solar panels and/or a windmill on your house so you have power. The jig is up and its only a matter of time before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Learn how to grow your own fruits and. Buy a rifle and handgun and stock up on ammo. Put solar panels and/or a windmill on your house so you have power. The jig is up and its only a matter of time before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.
    Easy big guy. That won't be necessary unless the Dollar stops being the worlds currency, at which point we can no longer print money to pay our debt. Than the shit will hit the fan because the dollar will be WORTHLESS, interest rates will SKY ROCKET, can you say Great Depression 2?

By the way, there has been talk from other nations of stopping using the dollar and switching to something else. IMO, this hasn't happened for two reasons: 1.) We are too powerful militarily 2.) The largest holder of our debt is one of the other top military's in the world - China.

Blog Entries

Yea, but China only owns $2T of our $14T debt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Easy big guy. That won't be necessary unless the Dollar stops being the worlds currency, at which point we can no longer print money to pay our debt. Than the shit will hit the fan because the dollar will be WORTHLESS, interest rates will SKY ROCKET, can you say Great Depression 2?

By the way, there has been talk from other nations of stopping using the dollar and switching to something else. IMO, this hasn't happened for two reasons: 1.) We are too powerful militarily 2.) The largest holder of our debt is one of the other top military's in the world - China.
    Like I said, 5-15 years. When the Middle East switches from using petro-dollars to other currencies, the end will be inevitable. Great Depression 2 won't even cover it.

Practice your aim, brother! ;)

Sounds like fun.. thanks for the idea for tomorrow.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Blog Entries

Like I said, 5-15 years. When the Middle East switches from using petro-dollars to other currencies, the end will be inevitable. Great Depression 2 won't even cover it.

Practice your aim, brother! ;)
    Looks like that 5 years might be spot on

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/imf...me_latest_news

Blog Entries

Looks like Galen is wrong AGAIN!!! (broken record, I know!) Adults approve of Ryan plan over 0bama plan...