Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Oz said we'll get a WR somewhere in draft

Ravens had their annual draft luncheon for the media complete with
    turkey burgers.

He said with 9 picks we have, a WR will be somewhere in there. It
    won't be in the first round as the top tier will be long gone but
    there's a 2d tier that should be available.

Get this: He loves Cam Newton because he beat Nick Saban
    after being down 24-0. You don't do that w/o some raw ability, Oz
    said.

2010, expressed confidence that the Ravens can get contributions from a rookie receiver in 2011.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,4283096.story

Re: Oz said we'll get a WR somewhere in draft

That's fine. We'll just a waste a 5th or 6th round pick on another throw away wide receiver like David Reed or white kid from Kentucky or Clarence Moore.

Someone that can return punts (maybe) and/or catch a jump pass-fade rounte once a year.

Good plan. Sounds like business as usual.

We could have traded up a spot or two last year and had Dez Bryant, but god forbid we make an effort to get a real Wide Out on this team.

They will never learn. Maybe Pittsburgh will have to beat us one more time due to 2 dropped passes right on the money (yeah that loss was on Boldin/Housh). Maybe after we loose to Pittsburgh one more time in the playoffs we will actually try to get a real wide out on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenfan_11 View Post
    That's fine. We'll just a waste a 5th or 6th round pick on another throw away wide receiver like David Reed or white kid from Kentucky or Clarence Moore.

Someone that can return punts (maybe) and/or catch a jump pass-fade rounte once a year.

We could have traded up a spot or two last year and had Dez Bryant, but god forbid we make an effort to get a real Wide Out on this team.

They will never learn. Maybe Pittsburgh will have to beat us one more time due to 2 dropped passes right on the money (yeah that loss was on Boldin/Housh). Maybe after we loose to Pittsburgh one more time in the playoffs we will actually try to get a real wide out on this team.
    yeah we should really look at Pittsburgh and draft "real" WRs high in the draft. Like them we should spend high draft picks on WRs. I mean Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle-El, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown must have all been first round picks.

Last year's draft has undoubtedly left a bit of a sour taste in the mouths of many fans. It certainly won't go down as one of our better ones.

That said, it's too early to say the Ravens won't get any value from last year's draft class. And I'd say it's a bit premature to describe David Reed as a "throw away" wide receiver. It's highly unlikely a 5th or 6th rounder is going to become an instant star in this league, whether it be a WR or any other position.

I'd rather see the Ravens use #26 for a defensive player this year, unless by some miracle a top tier OT falls to us. There's been a good bit of discussion about the Ravens possibly taking WR Torrey Smith at #26. My thinking is that there may be better value available on the defensive side at #26, but then I don't have the expertise on college talent that some of our long-time 24x7'ers have.

5. Re: Oz said we'll get a WR somewhere in draft

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    There's been a good bit of discussion about the Ravens possibly taking WR Torrey Smith at #26.
    ...by people that don't what the heck they're talking about.

That could well be the case. I don't claim any expertise myself, but agree that there are better options than Torrey Smith at #26.

7. Re: Oz said we'll get a WR somewhere in draft

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    That could well be the case. I don't claim any expertise myself, but agree that there are better options than Torrey Smith at #26.
    It seems like we very well could get him at 2:26. While I'm not a huge fan of his, he should be a solid value at a position of need with that pick.

Would you rather us take a WR in the first round if he doesn't have first round talent?

As to you other comments: Yeah we haven't done as well at WR as other positions but overall we've done a very good job in the draft.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's good to know that at least one fan is already writing off David Reed after one season where he was buried on the depth chart by proven and highly-regarded guys...

Sheesh.

Yeah, too bad we didn't give up a ransom like Dallas did in order to move up a couple spots to get him. He's been a real winner so far for the Cowboys!

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

:grbac::grbac::grbac::grbac::grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    It seems like we very well could get him at 2:26. While I'm not a huge fan of his, he should be a solid value at a position of need with that pick.
    I agree, even if they were in love with Smith they'd trade down from 26 if they didnt think he'd get to them in the 2nd rd. And thats assuming nobody they have rated ahead him falls to 26. I cant see a scenerio where that happens unless they figure the trade down can bring them Smith and someone else on their board that rates high enough to justify passing on a better player.