Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

For those of us that need to be more familiar with the terminology being used to describe 'front seven' defenders (i.e. "Five-Technique"), I've added a link that is very helpful.

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/op...e-front-seven/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    My ideal draft would rounds 1-4 would be:

#26 - Cameron Heyward - instantly improves run defense, and can eventually be a solid pass rusher with some work.

#58 - Jabaal Sheard - Could easily be a late first round pick, but fell because of an arrest. 40 Low: 4.62 40 High: 4.78 6'3" 264lbs
    52 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, nine sacks, four forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. This guy is a Baltimore Raven.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUXMV...mbedded#at=105

Can you even imagine him along with Suggs and a healthy Kindle?

Yes, that would be great.
    #90 - Titus Young WR Boise State (may be necessary to move up a few spots for this to happen)

Yea, you're right but I'm just guessing. He needs work too but could
    develop

#128 Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

You'd be surprised with Heyward. His pass rushing might take a little coaching, but at 6'5" 290, I can guarantee he will me an immediate impact in run support. I hate to say the cliche all draft analysts use, but look at his sugar bowl highlights. He DOMINATED when his team needed him most. He was in the backfield the entire game, especially when they ran the ball.

According to fftoolbox he needs a lot of work because he disappears at
    times. That's why he's at the bottom. I've seen him going to NE.
    Heyward might very well impact in a couple of years.

I still want Jimmy, Houston or Sherrod but I've seen him going to Indy. They need
    an o-lineman.

Thanks. Great posts from you.

I took a crack at a mock, this is with me taking a guess that the former union get their wish and they get the injunction(Gaither will be a RFA)

I'd trade our two 6th round picks and the 7th rounder we get from Philly to Denver for their 5th rounder(equal according to the trade value chart).

1-Muhammad Wilkerson DE Temple
    2. Chris Carter OLB Fresno St.
    3. Edmund Gates WR Abilene Christian
    4. Jalil Brown CB Colorado
    5. Henry Hynoski FB Pitt
    5. Alex Green HB Hawaii
    5. Ryan Bartholomew C Syracuse

If Gaither isnt retained then i'd love a guy like Sherrod in the first, Ijalana in the 2nd, etc.

4. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Zero chance Wilkerson is there for the Ravens at 26. My man crush on him is bigger than it was on Alualu last year, but there's no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

According to fftoolbox he needs a lot of work because he disappears at
    times. That's why he's at the bottom. I've seen him going to NE.
    Heyward might very well impact in a couple of years.

I still want Jimmy, Houston or Sherrod but I've seen him going to Indy. They need
    an o-lineman.

Thanks. Great posts from you.
    Thanks. I would agree with you on Jimmy Smith, Justin Houston, and Derek Sherrod. I'm hoping that if Wilkerson isn't there that Houston will be.

Who would you rather have, Smith or Houston?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Zero chance Wilkerson is there for the Ravens at 26. My man crush on him is bigger than it was on Alualu last year, but there's no chance.
    Id say there's more of a chance than zero. With the amount of Dts and Des in this years draft, and with the quarterbacks, and O-lineman, I can see the possibility of teams staying with a safer pick because of Wilkerson's questions. Some team is going to pick Martez Wilson early, and I can see the same going for Brooks Reed too. If Houston and Wilkerson are both on the board when the Saints pick I bet they go with Houston over Wilkerson, and that would bet that would lead to him falling to us. We also could trade up a few spots with Philly, Indy, or even the Giants if our FO feels strongly enough about him.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

I think zero chance is overstating it, its possible especially since his best position is 5 tech. He plays high and not always as physical which might make some 4-3 teams shy away from him in the first round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Thanks. I would agree with you on Jimmy Smith, Justin Houston, and Derek Sherrod. I'm hoping that if Wilkerson isn't there that Houston will be.

Who would you rather have, Smith or Houston?
    Jimmy Smith. I'd take him just to keep Piss from taking him-lol. He's
    gonna end up in the AFC-N and if they get him he will hurt us like
    when Oz passed up Wallace.

He could be a C-MAC clone with his size and as a hitter but he might keep
    us up at night. He's still worth the risk and swears his issues were over. He hasn't
    tested positive since 07 and was very young when he was busted. 28 teams have
    worked him out so somebody is gonna take him. C-MAC had issues and dropped because
    of a credit card scam. He had his moments but put us in the SB and impacted for years.

I'd be happy with Houston if Jimmy is gone or Sherrod after that but he will probably be
    gone.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-06-2011 at 06:42 PM.

9. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think zero chance is overstating it, its possible especially since his best position is 5 tech. He plays high and not always as physical which might make some 4-3 teams shy away from him in the first round.
    Tyron Smith could fall to the Ravens too to fill our OT need. Julio Jones could still be on the board too. If you want to get into semantics, obviously there's >0 chance that he makes it to the Ravens. But he's not.

Looks like Kiper and McShay put out new mocks today. One had Wilkerson going to Texans at 11. The other had him going to the Vikings at 12. Teams like the Chargers and Patriots have huge needs at five-technique. Pretty much every 4-3 team could use a DT with pass rushing ability (or an end with run stopping ability).

Interestingly, both mocks have the Ravens taking a CB. Kiper has up taking Jimmy Smith (very possible), and McShay has us taking Brandon Harris (not a chance).

Tyron Smith could fall to the Ravens too to fill our OT need. Julio Jones could still be on the board too. If you want to get into semantics, obviously there's >0 chance that he makes it to the Ravens. But he's not.

Looks like Kiper and McShay put out new mocks today. One had Wilkerson going to Texans at 11. The other had him going to the Vikings at 12. Teams like the Chargers and Patriots have huge needs at five-technique. Pretty much every 4-3 team could use a DT with pass rushing ability (or an end with run stopping ability).

Interestingly, both mocks have the Ravens taking a CB. Kiper has up taking Jimmy Smith (very possible), and McShay has us taking Brandon Harris (not a chance).
    What im saying his appeal is more upside then it is tangible play. I love the guy, one of my favorite players in this draft but he doesnt use his hands well, plays high, he can get stone walled inside as well at this point. Watt, Jordan and Heyward(whom i dont care for as much) are all 5 techs that are currently better players then him. Its more of a chance he isnt there then it is that he is but its certaintly possible, especially if someone reaches for a 3rd or 4th QB in the first rd. Sarcastically saying Smith or Jones could be there is again overstating, but this time overstating my point.

Blog Entries

After everything I said about Jimmy don't be surprised if Oz takes
    Harris if he is there. He's from Miami and you know the history. I've seen him going to the
    Eagles who could dictate who we get by whom they take having the same needs on D and O.

Funny thing, this time last year everyone on all the boards was saying the same thing
    about Kyle Wilson and McCourty, the fans favorite because he was Rice's teammate
    at Rutgers.

Ozzie passed on both of them. Boldin and TJ ate Wilson alive in the opener in NY and
    proved scouting reports correct that he couldn't go up vs the bigger WRs. He held TJ
    in the end zone and was flagged and then we scored.

McCourty fared much better and didn't do bad beating us in NE. Not taking him bit Oz
    in the ass in Piss.

He probably won't make the same mistake this year if Jimmy and Harris are there.

Just my humble freaking opinion on a message board.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-06-2011 at 09:20 PM.

While obvious most most mock drafts are just BS that is reading material until the draft actually comes, it amazes me how many have the Ravens taking Torrey smith or Brandon Harris. To me, there is a much better chance of us some how getting Wilkerson than drafting either one of them. I understand the rinky dink websites having us pick them, but come on Mcshay. He must really know something no one else does about the guy.

–Eleanor Roosevelt