Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: DC United Moves to Baltimore?

Apparently this is a possibility. I doubt it's probable, but I for one would be enthralled to have a professional outdoor soccer team come to Baltimore.

A few details:
    The Maryland Stadium Authority commissioned a study on building a stadium for either a pro or semi-pro soccer team in Baltimore. The study concluded that building a stadium in Westport for a pro soccer team would be the best option. I believe the study was specifically considering the possibility of bringing DC United to Baltimore.

DC United currently plays at RFK, but they desperately want a new stadium. There is little reason to believe it could happen in or around DC anytime soon. The have acknowledged the study and intend to

From the President and CEO of DC United:
    "We appreciate the interest that Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and the City of Baltimore have shown in our team and potential stadium, and will continue our conversations as we work toward the best possible long-term home for D.C. United."

Check out the links below for more info.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...to-md-rev.html

http://www.dcunited.com/press-releas...y-of-baltimore

I know there are probably some political hurdles for this as well. I'm not too knowledgeable on the politics of something like this. Anyone else have additional information or insights?

Re: OT: DC United Moves to Baltimore?

The friendly's that Baltimore has hosted have been a wild success, but I am not sure that will translate into butts in the seats at a 3rd downtown stadium in an area that has yet to be developed.

There has been the occasional rumor that the Ravens are not all that happy with M&T. Maybe a partnership with both teams to lobby for a new downtown stadium perhaps?

Yes, admittedly, it's probably a long shot but at least T might get his escalators.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    There has been the occasional rumor that the Ravens are not all that happy with M&T.
    Yes, admittedly, it's probably a long shot but at least T might get his escalators.
    Just curious as to where you've heard this rumor at?

Personally, I've never heard or read anything regarding their displeasure with the place.
    Kind of hard to be unhappy when the building you make your money at is funded by the public dollar for the most part.

The place is only 13 years old or so.

I'd be shocked if there were any serious discussion regarding replacing it anytime in the next 10-15 years if not more.

Hell, these jack wads can't even figure out how or why to replace that crap hole downtown the blast plays in.

For shits and giggles though regarding T.

Escalators or Roof?

Which would be more important?
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Just curious as to where you've heard this rumor at?
    I certainly could be incorrect, but I recall some rumblings 2-3 years ago about seating capacity. When I get a free second, I will do some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Anyone else have additional information or insights?
    Neither, but (surprise!), I do have an opinion. Actually, three opinions:

(1) The idea of a soccer stadium in downtown Baltimore is merely a shill to get one built in Montgomery County or Northern Virginia. DC and PG County have already nixed spending public funds on this folly.

(2) There aren't enough Mexicans in this area to create a fan base to support a Baltimore team. Sure, we have a few Limeys and Irishmen, but nothing close to the number of Mexicans in Virginia who constitute a large part of United's fan base, who won't drive 50 miles per game.

(3) I like soccer. I played it in high school. But it will never catch on as a mainstream spectator sport in the US. Not enough scoring, or finesse (like a no-hitter 18 strikeout job in baseball), or violence (see any Ray Lewis hit). Anyone remember "Back the Bays"? Pro soccer failed here with the Baltimore Bays due to these reasons.

I certainly could be incorrect, but I recall some rumblings 2-3 years ago about seating capacity. When I get a free second, I will do some searching.
    I would be astonished to see Maryland taxpayers springing for another stadium because Mr. Bisciotti wanted more club seats. To merely add capacity, our stadium could be retrofitted to move the end zone video boards to add more club seats, and add a few thousand general admission seats in the notches.

I doubt that we going to see a replacement football stadium in our lifetimes, unless the NFL resurrects the idea floated in the 80s of a Columbia or Laurel-area mega-stadium shared with the Virginia team, and finds a way to pay for it without State tax funds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    For shits and giggles though regarding T.

Escalators or Roof?

Which would be more important?
    Smart-ass!

I gave up on the escalators a few years ago, moving down a few decks. (Just so I can get my shot in: I still think it's a freakin' embarassment to have a "modern" stadium requiring fans to make a massive hike on ramps to get to their seats. In that regard, it's the poorest designed stadium in the NFL.)

Roof would be nice, especially if/when the NFL goes to the 18 game season. When I lived in New Orleans, every Saints game I attended was pleasant, regardless of the weather. Theater-style cushioned seats were great. If we were to get a roof, on this stadium or on top of Houston Ravens' new stadium, I would prefer a movable roof, to allow sunshine for late September through early November games.

Neither is going to happen.
    Last edited by Mista T; 04-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

We lose the Bullets to them and we get a soccer team in return? Bleck!
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

The friendly's that Baltimore has hosted have been a wild success, but I am not sure that will translate into butts in the seats at a 3rd downtown stadium in an area that has yet to be developed.

There has been the occasional rumor that the Ravens are not all that happy with M&T. Maybe a partnership with both teams to lobby for a new downtown stadium perhaps?

Acutally, the one friendly 2 years ago was a huge success.

The one last year was a disaster. Far less tickets sold, terrible quality of play, and an overall bad experience.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    The one last year was a disaster. Far less tickets sold, terrible quality of play, and an overall bad experience.
    I stand corrected.

But going back and reading the news reports makes it seem it was so-so and not a total disaster.

I will defer to you since I was 1500 miles away at the time.

Soccer is growing in the US, no doubt. I have been to many DC United games and the venue SUCKS! I would love a move to BMORE! Landon Donovan and Becks...SWEET!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    (1) The idea of a soccer stadium in downtown Baltimore is merely a shill to get one built in Montgomery County or Northern Virginia. DC and PG County have already nixed spending public funds on this folly.
    I'm sure DC United is hoping that the interest from Baltimore will get them a new stadium, but I'm still holding out hope that if it doesn't happen they would be willing to come here.

(2) There aren't enough Mexicans in this area to create a fan base to support a Baltimore team. Sure, we have a few Limeys and Irishmen, but nothing close to the number of Mexicans in Virginia who constitute a large part of United's fan base, who won't drive 50 miles per game.
    I think we could support a team. Apparently ratings for the World Cup were huge in Baltimore. And there's defeinitly a strong soccer community in Maryland.

(3) I like soccer. I played it in high school. But it will never catch on as a mainstream spectator sport in the US. Not enough scoring, or finesse (like a no-hitter 18 strikeout job in baseball), or violence (see any Ray Lewis hit). Anyone remember "Back the Bays"? Pro soccer failed here with the Baltimore Bays due to these reasons.
    I will grant you that there is not as much scoring as major American sports, and it's certainly not as violent as football or hockey, but no finesse? This is not a complaint I've ever head about soccer? Also, I'd contend it's more violent than baseball and about equally as violent as basketball, both of which have managed to be succesfull.

The one advantage that soccer has over all of these is continuous play. Addmitedly I haven't watched the MLS in a long time (mostly because there's no team in Baltimore), but when I have watched soccer from other leagues or events there are no commercials breaking up the action. I get my food and my beer, sit down, watch 45 minutes of continuous action, get more food and beer, and watch another 45. It's great.

When I watch the NFL, they play for 7 seconds at a time. Most of the time is watching players milling around or watching commercials. When I watch baseball I spend half the time watching people spitting or scratching themselves or watching the pitcher nod his head while the batter fidgets with the bat. When I watch soccer I watch soccer almost the entire time I'm at my TV.

Plus, so many people have played soccer growing up. I think soccer can become a major US sport, but I do think it will take a long time (decades).

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Is there a reason they couldn't play at M&T?

I would think that would be a reasonable solution, but they seem bent on getting their own facility.