Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: OT: DC United Moves to Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Sure are quite a few replies for a "game" I didn't think people in America cared about. I mean I know it's popular around the world but I thought that was only people act like we do at Preakness, Football games etc..
    I think there are a lot of people who care about it in the US, mostly because they played it at some point growing up, but I don't think there's a critical mass of support for any given soccer league/event. I know a fair number of people who get into the world cup when it rolls around, 1 or 2 people who follow the English Premier League, and a few people who follow the MLS. I know lots more who played soccer, and if they saw enough people around them supporting a particular team they would probably get sucked into it. We just haven't hit that critical mass.

I think it will take a while, and the MLS is the only way it will happen. I don't see too many Americans getting into teams from England, and the World Cup happens so infrequently, though I do think the excitement from the World Cup can help accelerate support for the MLS.

And the MLS is growing. There are 18 teams this season, up from 10 in 2004, and apparently they're adding a 19th next year.

From wikipedia...
    Average fan attendance per game:
    2004: 15,559 (10 teams, 30 games each)
    2005: 15,108 (12 teams, 32 games each)
    2006: 15,504 (12 teams, 32 games each)
    2007: 16,770 (13 teams, 30 games each)
    2008: 16,460 (14 teams, 30 games each)
    2009: 16,037 (15 teams, 30 games each)
    2010: 16,675 (16 teams, 30 games each)

Note that average attendance is increasing even though they're expanding rapidly.

Total Attendance:
    2004: 2,333,797
    2005: 2,900,716
    2006: 2,976,787
    2007: 3,270,210
    2008: 3,456,641
    2009: 3,608,325*
    2010: 4,002,000*
    *These #'s weren't on wikipedia so I calculated them from the numbers in the previous table.

As a point of comparison, the NHL's 2009/2010 season had average fan attendance of 17,460 per game, but that was with 30 teams playing 82 games so total attendance was at 21,475,224.

Attendance isn't the only important factor, but it's headed in the right direction. I'd like to see the MLS come to greater prominence, so hopefully that continues.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 04-07-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    That's why soccer clubs put sponsorships on jerseys and display them on banners around the field.

Some of the wealthiest sports franchises in the world are soccer clubs so clearly they have effective ways of making money.

According to Forbes
    (In billions of dollars as of last July)
    1. Man U - 1.83
    2. Dallas Cowboys - 1.65
    3. NY Yankees - 1.6
    4. Washington Redskins - 1.55
    5. NE Patriots - 1.36
    6. Real Madrid - 1.32
    7. NY Giants - 1.18
    8. Arsenal - 1.18
    9. NY Jets - 1.17
    10. Houston Texans - 1.15

FYI - 15. Baltimore Ravens - 1.08
    Yeah, that works over there but I'm not sure it'd work here.

Blog Entries

I played soccer growing up as well as most other sports, and while I still to this day like to play soccer it's tough to watch, at the pro level anyway.

High school games end 4-3, College 3-2. Pro's 0-0 (2-1, SO) that, IMO is just not exciting enough to spend 2 hours to watch, I mean after 2 hours and no one scored did you even play a game or just round around with some friends and kick a ball?

I got into the world cup back in '06 and that was relatively entertaining, but this last one was just not enough scoring, for me.

I'm a big football, er, soccer fan and I'd still probably not get season tickets for this team, mainly because MLS is about the equivalent standard as the English third division. Sure, I'd go to a few games but it's kind of like going to see the Mariners play instead of the Ravens. Or maybe the Browns instead of the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    absolutely fascinating. I strongly suspect that figure includes a *huge* amount of money for the sale of Ray Lewis jerseys. How far, I wonder, would the Ravens fall on that fascinating list if it weren't for Ray's influence?
    Merchandise sales is mere splash in the water, when compared to profits generated from ticket sales and concessions.

BTW, Ray didn't even crack the top 25 last year. Another Ray did however ....

http://www.jockjerseys.com/flash/nfl...for-2010/2548/

No Ray in 2009, but acertain QB made the top 25 ....

http://www.jockjerseys.com/flash/nfl...for-2009/2022/

And no Ray, or any Raven for that matter in 2008 ....

http://www.jockjerseys.com/flash/nfl...y-31-2008/192/

The big dollars for the teams come from butts in the (club) seats and buying their high price food and drink items.

The numbers aren't on the same par as the worst teams in the NFL/MLB so it's a moot point.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    I'm a big football, er, soccer fan and I'd still probably not get season tickets for this team, mainly because MLS is about the equivalent standard as the English third division. Sure, I'd go to a few games but it's kind of like going to see the Mariners play instead of the Ravens. Or maybe the Browns instead of the Ravens.
    Yea but if the league became popular in America, it would get eunough $$$ to upgrade the talent. That Forbes list was almost all American teams. We put a lot of money into our sports here. I don't know if it will get there, but I think it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TLaMana View Post
    The numbers aren't on the same par as the worst teams in the NFL/MLB so it's a moot point.
    That's why I compared them with the NHL. I don't think the NFL's level of success is a realistic target for the MLS. But they don't have to reach that level to be a popular and successful league.

Plust I'm not trying to say they are currently a top American sports league. I'm hoping they can become one.