Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 105.7's Jenn Royle sues WNST

We'll see how it plays out, as you guys say.

I'm disappointed, HR, you would not even come halfway and agree with me that radio personalities calling each other "incompetent" or "unqualified" is something that is par for the course and should not result in litigation.

Nationally it will end many careers if they cannot take jabs at each others' qualifications...
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I'm disappointed, HR, you would not even come halfway and agree with me that radio personalities calling each other "incompetent" or "unqualified" is something that is par for the course and should not result in litigation.

Nationally it will end many careers if they cannot take jabs at each others' qualifications...
    I've said twice now that the parts that deal with them saying she's unqualified will be thrown out. Broadcasters can and will give their opinion all the time.

That said, it's precisely that talk that turned me off Nestor and his gang a long time ago. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should and it does not equal good radio.

I prefer Rob Long and I am starting to get back into everyone over at 105.7. Why? Because they don't take shots. They instead talk about .... sports.

How novel!

I would *love* to like 105.7 more than I do. Don't they still have Yaffe? Tell me he's gone, please.

edit: Hold on a second, Houston, you're trying to trick me. I *have* listened to Norris & Davis sometimes in the morning, but you cannot tell me they talk about "sports" more than Drew F. I was confused and thought you were talking about the station where Rob Long is (1370? Something?). Those guys talk about celebrities, women, the personal lives of their callers, all kinds of stuff, and occasionally sports, a subject upon which Ed Norris, who I do find entertaining, doesn't know anything (don't sue me, Ed!). It's an entertaining show but you can't honestly mean they talk about sports more than the NST morning show.

Followed by Viviano and Yaffe. Viviano is fine, I like him well enough, but Yaffe talks to people like they're idiots, and he doesn't know *half* of what he thinks he knows. He is annoyingly egotistical and vain, even moreso than Nestor, who is probably second place in the "annoying and vain" department. Nestor is not as smug, though, and Nestor for all his faults knows more about sports.* Yaffe's incompetence (don't sue me, 'dog!) is too bad, because it means there's a void in the middle of my day. I don't really care for Thyrl on NST, bless his heart, he seems smart enough and interested in the local scene but something about the way he talks makes me change the station.

Haynie's great. If this is when you're listening, I get it.

In the evenings, Jeremy Conn has matured over the years and I like him now, but he's not really into the local stuff and I have to change the station any time he starts talking about the Colts, including one Colt in particular, and it's surprisingly frequently I have to make that switch. Scott's fine, Jeremy's mostly fine, but that's in the evening when I'm not normally listening to a radio.

Here endeth my review of 105.7. :)

* another advantage Nestor has over Yaffe: Nestor doesn't have a regular radio show. ;)
    Last edited by festivus; 03-31-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

sorry, but this just sounds like the movie "the accused". next she will be going after the people who clapped & cheered.

Haynie's great. If this is when you're listening, I get it.
    Yes.

I listen to the Junkies mostly in the AM, then hit up Haynie later.

6. Re: 105.7's Jenn Royle sues WNST

We'll see how it plays out, as you guys say.

I think they should be able to express opinions since it's what they get paid to do.

I just never understood the idea of mentioning your competition during your air time even if just to bash them. Wouldn't you want people to stay on your station?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Honestly, Jenn Royle is worst than Anita was... She absolutely has no business covering sports. I could stomach a few minutes of Anita, but I IMMEDIATELY turn off the radio the minute Jenn gets on (Love the extra n..). I get it...she is the face, but seriously it aint anything special. And her air of self-importance is just utterly nauseating.

Honestly, Jenn Royle is worst than Anita was... She absolutely has no business covering sports. I could stomach a few minutes of Anita, but I IMMEDIATELY turn off the radio the minute Jenn gets on (Love the extra n..). I get it...she is the face, but seriously it aint anything special. And her air of self-importance is just utterly nauseating.
    I don't think I ever quite grasped the concept of having a hot girl (and I'm not suggesting that either is or isn't) on radio that brought little to the conversation? Radio? Seeing with your ears?

Personally I've never met Jenn. I've seen her around but she often seemed a bit uneasy in a football environment (and I'm sure that had a lot to do with being thrown into a sport she knows little about) and subsequently was very clingy to her 105.7 colleagues.

That said if I was forced to compare the two, Jenn makes Anita seem like Tom Brokaw, relatively speaking.

Tony, I hope you get yourself a good lawyer, man. Have you considered Stephen L. Miles? ;)
    Festivus

Tony, I hope you get yourself a good lawyer, man. Have you considered Stephen L. Miles?
    His tag line used to be, "Let's Talk About It"...now, his spot sounds like a Men's Warehouse commercial

I don't agree with the lawsuit because it is tough enough for women to compete in a male dominated field such as sports media. I doubt if she will come out ahead in this one because she is a public figure and just about anything goes when you are in the media.

By the same token, I think it is in very poor taste to talk about someones social/sex life on the air. If they want to say she is a lousy reporter, that is one thing. But to say she dresses like a stripper is unprofessional, even if they said it in a kidding way. I have heard specific references about her on WNST, where Drew said she ignored him or wouldn't give him sympathy because he had a cold or something. He thought she was rude and that is what started this trashing of Jenn Royale.

That is why I really like Rob Long and Bob Haynie. Very professional and they don't criticize their current and former colleagues.

Thumbs down Re: 105.7's Jenn Royle sues WNST

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    By the same token, I think it is in very poor taste to talk about someones social/sex life on the air. If they want to say she is a lousy reporter, that is one thing. But to say she dresses like a stripper is unprofessional, even if they said it in a kidding way.
    Perhaps that is true. However, my interest in this story, which is about 5% when compared to real Ravens stories, world events, politics, etc., would drop to under 1% if it weren't for the sleezy, slimy, salacious details of this girls' alleged stripping, and her alleged sexual escapades. I don't care if she's a lousy reporter -- frankly, I had never even heard about her until this story was posted here, then by the Sun a few days later.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).