Just when we thought politics was becoming more user friendly...

The GOP took over

Goes to show a change in the House still doesn't lead to a happy citizenry.

Onto a more serious note. Dionne writes a great article in the WAPO today about the continuing transfer of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy via the fearmongering of "being broke", "putting the debt on the backs of our grandchildren", "entitlements being out of control" and "lavish lifestyles of our teachers".

Essentially what we have done is justify tax breaks for the wealthy at the expense of the public workers. The GOP is villifying the public workers as greedy and unworthy. Are public workers perfect? Of course not, but I would rather see resources going in their direction vs. the super wealthy. They have to go somewhere.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...E6T_story.html

I know you guys are in the tank for the Koch Bros, et al. but look at this quote by Franken:

“during the past 20 years, 56 percent of all income growth went to the top 1 percent of households. Even more unbelievably, a third of all income growth went to just the top one-tenth of 1 percent.” Some people are definitely not broke, yet we can’t even think about raising their taxes.

Thom Hartmann speaks about this all the time but pushes it back to Reagan. The concept of "trickle down" and no taxes for the super wealthy is killing the middle class. No wonder both adults have to work now and kids are left to themselves...leading to the education problems....distrupted families. The snowball effect of this dramatic and will just makes things worse.

Yet, each of you will get on here and support this trend which has shown no evidence that giving the super wealthy a pass on taxes does nothing but move the wealth upwards where it stays.

Read the article with an open mind.

Blog Entries

Re: Just when we thought politics was becoming more user friendly...

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Essentially what we have done is justify tax breaks for the wealthy.
    Seriously? I have time and time again called your bullshit to the carpet on this one and you've ignored it (I understand why) but the least you could do is stop spreading this one.

at the expense of the public workers. The GOP is villifying the public workers as greedy and unworthy. Are public workers perfect? Of course not, but I would rather see resources going in their direction vs. the super wealthy. They have to go somewhere.
    I love how you start a new thread about this topic cause you kept getting your ass handed to you on the thread were I addressed this and you had no reply, nothing, Ngata, Zilch Zero.

What it means is Congress hasn't enacted what the voters want which is cutting the size and scope of government and lowering taxes to put more of the peoples money back in thier own pockets.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Quote Originally Posted by TLaMana View Post
    What it means is Congress hasn't enacted what the wealthy want which is cutting the size and scope of government protections and lowering taxes for the top one percent to put more of the middle class money back into the millionaires pockets.
    Corrected....You were off a bit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You are a stuck record.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Blog Entries

Galen believes that anyone making over $250,000/year needs to be taxed at 90%. Its not their money, they don't need it. Its the Feds' to do as they please.

Blog Entries

Galen needs to cut his losses and get the hell out. No one takes him seriously.

Besides, we have a new libbie who's been getting his arse kicked too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Galen believes that anyone making over $250,000/year needs to be taxed at 90%. Its not their money, they don't need it. Its the Feds' to do as they please.
    Chances are you are paying a higher percentage of your paycheck in taxes than those who make over 250k but you accept the conservative propaganda blindly about handouts and the wealthy not keeping enough. Just wait until MD starts cutting government jobs and you might think twice about how the distribution of money hurts you. Meanwhile you will continue to throw our ridiculous statements about 90% tax rates that I have never said. The truth is about a 2-4% increase in taxes to the wealthy would greatly diminish state deficits but the nuance is lost in your bagger mentality and you only throw out absurd arguments about 90% tax rates and Obama playing golf and the occasional valid point.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Chances are you are paying a higher percentage of your paycheck in taxes than those who make over 250k but you accept the conservative propaganda blindly about handouts and the wealthy not keeping enough.
    For one thing, I don't live in MD and therefore my taxes are different than in MD. Its all relative. My house is twice the size and my property is 3 times more than I could afford for a similar size home in Central Maryland but because my tax structure is set up different, we can afford to live here.

Just wait until MD starts cutting government jobs and you might think twice about how the distribution of money hurts you. Meanwhile you will continue to throw our ridiculous statements about 90% tax rates that I have never said. The truth is about a 2-4% increase in taxes to the wealthy would greatly diminish state deficits but the nuance is lost in your bagger mentality and you only throw out absurd arguments about 90% tax rates and Obama playing golf and the occasional valid point.
    If you actually paid attention to the world around you (namely Maryland) and not live in Candyland you'd know this was tried.

Maryland won't be cutting "government" jobs because they don't need to. At least not according to THIS article. And by the way, the 6.25% "Millionaires Tax" is expiring that Owe'Malley imposed in 2008. Its expiring because Owe'Malley decided to actually make cuts () rather than doing the knee-jerk Democrat action of raising taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Maryland won't be cutting "government" jobs because they don't need to. And by the way, the 6.25% "Millionaires Tax" is expiring that Owe'Malley imposed in 2008. Its expiring because Owe'Malley decided to actually make cuts () rather than doing the knee-jerk Democrat action of raising taxes.
    We'll see if Md will cut jobs or not. While they haven't cut teacher jobs, they have been not replacing open vacancies for a while now which amounts to cutting jobs through attrition.

Its funny how in the same paragraph you say Md doesn't need to cut jobs, mention the temporary tax put into place by O'Malley when the recession began and finish up with criticizing a temporary tax placed on a demographic which barely if at all feels it which helped carry Md through the recession.

This proves my point precisely that small temporary taxes with scalpel-like budget cuts works best. Sure there is unneccesary spending but there is also huge revenue losses as a result of the recession that need to be recouped. O'Malley is talking to unions and has the support of public workers while cutting pension programs for public workers. Other democrat governors are also looking at temporary tax increases WITH budget cuts.

To think you are going to balance state or federal budgets with soley cuts is a joke. The federal budget will never be balanced until a return to Clinton-era taxes for the wealthy. Plain and simple.

Blog Entries

We'll see if Md will cut jobs or not. While they haven't cut teacher jobs, they have been not replacing open vacancies for a while now which amounts to cutting jobs through attrition.
    Maryland won't cut teacher jobs at K-12 schools because they don't control public schools. Each county handles its own K-12 education. Do you know what each job state entails? Sometimes, with analyzation, you realize you have redundant jobs or jobs that could be combined with current work demands. Thats what good businesses along with smart local, state, and sometimes the Feds do.

Its funny how in the same paragraph you say Md doesn't need to cut jobs, mention the temporary tax put into place by O'Malley when the recession began and finish up with criticizing a temporary tax placed on a demographic which barely if at all feels it which helped carry Md through the recession.
    In all honesty, like I said above, the State of Maryland doesn't need to add more jobs as they can be done with the staffs on hand. Its called "work".

That tax raised $120 Million and was less than 10% of the projected $1.3 billion budget shortfall so obviously taxing the highest earners isn't the answer. I'm certainly not against taxing high earners but how much more is debatable. Most pro athletes in Maryland have Florida residencies as they don't want to pay MD taxes and have their "primary" residence in Florida or other tax friendly states.

This proves my point precisely that small temporary taxes with scalpel-like budget cuts works best. Sure there is unneccesary spending but there is also huge revenue losses as a result of the recession that need to be recouped. O'Malley is talking to unions and has the support of public workers while cutting pension programs for public workers. Other democrat governors are also looking at temporary tax increases WITH budget cuts.
    Then why aren't you pounding the table for these taxes stay in place and getting rid of the waste and unneccesary spending? Isn't that what you were saying here:
    The concept of "trickle down" and no taxes for the super wealthy is killing the middle class.
    To think you are going to balance state or federal budgets with soley cuts is a joke. The federal budget will never be balanced until a return to Clinton-era taxes for the wealthy. Plain and simple.
    He (it was really the Republican controlled Congress) taxed the highest 1.2% of earners and gave 15 million low-income families tax breaks and made tax cuts available to 90% of small businesses. Clinton and the Feds benefited from the rapid expansion of the internet. Without the revenues during the late 90's his "surplus" never would be realized. Congress got close, but it was based on projections.
    Last edited by 4G63; 03-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.