Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Union has Decertified

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    But the players don't know what the owners do with the profits, they only know how much profit the owners make. And the NFL players already know that...the NFL is forced to disclose it currently.

- C -
    yea, but they dont know all the owner's expenses. just end sum +/-. they might wanna get in on some of those expenses that may/may not be necessary. dictate how owners should run they business.

they will know the max an owner will be able to put out on them before it is not worth it anymore, and they will push that line.
    Disclaimer: I really don't know nothing about anything, so if i say something like i do, understand that i don't know what the hell i am talking about.

it is like if you go in to negotiate a car, and you know exactly how much the car cost the dealer, how much they pay the salesman, and how much they will need to profit to make it worth while.

if you cant, knowing all that, get the best deal possible for you, and take as much from the dealership as possible, then...
    Disclaimer: I really don't know nothing about anything, so if i say something like i do, understand that i don't know what the hell i am talking about.

I think you were talking about the USFL. The UFL is doing just fine and is having tryouts as we speak. Not enough of those players to fill too many teams but you never know.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Quote Originally Posted by bretts
    it is like if you go in to negotiate a car, and you know exactly how much the car cost the dealer, how much they pay the salesman, and how much they will need to profit to make it worth while.

if you cant, knowing all that, get the best deal possible for you, and take as much from the dealership as possible, then...
    Exactly.

5. Re: Union has Decertified

If you're only required to disclose your profits, then you can just engage in a little bit of "Hollywood accounting," where a movie can gross $600 million and still not be "profitable."

NFL removes players photo's from NFL.com...

Quote Originally Posted by bretts View Post
    yea, but they dont know all the owner's expenses. just end sum +/-. they might wanna get in on some of those expenses that may/may not be necessary. dictate how owners should run they business.

they will know the max an owner will be able to put out on them before it is not worth it anymore, and they will push that line.
    The CBA states explicitly that the owners MUST disclose the player costs to the Union. This allows the Union to verify that they're in compliance with the CBA.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

That, plus NFL contracts are public.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    NFL removes players photo's from NFL.com...
    Lest any fan, for a single second, think either party is acting in the best interest of the fans.

Fans who really think one side or the other has some moral high ground are out of touch with reality. The reality is, two very well financed groups of very, very wealthy men are competing over a huge pile of money, and neither group gives a crap about you, dear reader.

It's fascinating the way a train wreck is fascinating. I'd look away if I could.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    The CBA states explicitly that the owners MUST disclose the player costs to the Union. This allows the Union to verify that they're in compliance with the CBA.

- C -
    yea only player cost, not the whole book.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Fans who really think one side or the other has some moral high ground are out of touch with reality. The reality is, two very well financed groups of very, very wealthy men are competing over a huge pile of money, and neither group gives a crap about you, dear reader.
    Exactly!! Screw the Commish, Bisciotti, and all the rest of those money grabbing whores!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by bretts View Post
    yea only player cost, not the whole book.
    Right, but the claim was that them knowing the profits will increase their leverage such that it would ruin the league's parity. I don't see how that connection is being made. They already know the league's profit. What they want to see is the books on operating costs, to see if the owners are essentially "hiding" profits somewhere, doing things like taking vacations and writing them off as business expenses, etc.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com