Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: foxworth on the negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Sure, sometimes they aren't happy with thier contracts and would like to go somewhere else, but it was a contract that the player voluntarily signed and the player is free to go whenever said contract is up.
    I do not know why this is so hard to understand. The players can not just go somewhere else if they don't like it. The NFL is a recognized monopoly being granted anti trust exemption. All of its labor practices: the draft, the salary cap, franchise tags, etc. would all be illegal labor practices under current US law. When you graduated college did you get drafted by a company that then had exclusive rights to you for 4 years, and you didn't have a choice who that was? The draft can only exist because of illegal collusion amongst the 32 owners who have simply declared they won't give a contract to anyone that was drafted by another team. The NFL was granted a special anti-trust exemption by the government based only on the fact that it had the consent of the NFLPA as a business partner.

The NFL players are not like regular employees. The NFLPA has a special status and relationship with the owners and the league that differs from all standard labor practices.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Moot points everyone.

They are all ex-NFL players for the foreseeable future.
    Ugh. The harsh reality of that is so gross...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by davver
    I do not know why this is so hard to understand. The players can not just go somewhere else if they don't like it. The NFL is a recognized monopoly being granted anti trust exemption. All of its labor practices: the draft, the salary cap, franchise tags, etc. would all be illegal labor practices under current US law. When you graduated college did you get drafted by a company that then had exclusive rights to you for 4 years, and you didn't have a choice who that was? The draft can only exist because of illegal collusion amongst the 32 owners who have simply declared they won't give a contract to anyone that was drafted by another team. The NFL was granted a special anti-trust exemption by the government based only on the fact that it had the consent of the NFLPA as a business partner.
    Completely wrong.

The anti trust exemption was a condition of the expired CBA, agreed upon by the now defunct union and the league. There was no granting of a special exemption by the government. It was simply agreed upon by both sides. There is an antitrust exemption for TV rights, but not for labor practices.

Players are employees of the teams, not the league. Once Reggie White sued successfully for free agency, it ceased to be a monopoly and players were free to go whichever team they choose so long as they are not under contract.

There is nothing illegal about "colluding" for a draft when the prospective player know the deal going into the draft. College players are not forced to enter the draft nor are they forced to try and play for the NFL. Funny how you use the negative pejorative "colluding" when speaking of the owners actions, but when it's the players it's given a positive spin.

By the way, you do know the league operates as a non profit right?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 03-17-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davver View Post

The NFL players are not like regular employees. The NFLPA has a special status and relationship with the owners and the league that differs from all standard labor practices.
    yeah...i was talking about free agency when I said they can go somewhere else.

But hell, maybe some of them actually took advantage of the free education (hopefully they majored in something other than 'Pro football players'), and if the NFL was too much, could go into an entire different profession. And really, there are 2 other active leagues they could go to...and hey, they may actually give thier players a bigger piece of the pie and treat them "nicer"...but you know they won't because all they are concerned with is the HUGE difference in CASH.

They know the deal with the draft...I've never heard a single player complain about there being a draft. They know the deal with sports in general...in exchange for playing a game...really nothing that would change anybody's life...and making a ton of money, they choose to become professional athletes. Sorry if I don't shed a tear for the horrible NFL system when I see guys crying in absolute joy when they get drafted by god-awful teams during the draft and knowing they will get locked into a contract for 4 years and thier contracts aren't guaranteed.

You are so right they aren't like regular employees...they are playing a freaking game and even the minimum wage guys who last 2 years in the league have made more in those 2 years than the majority of the US population does in 10-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    yeah...i was talking about free agency when I said they can go somewhere else.

But hell, maybe some of them actually took advantage of the free education (hopefully they majored in something other than 'Pro football players'), and if the NFL was too much, could go into an entire different profession. And really, there are 2 other active leagues they could go to...and hey, they may actually give thier players a bigger piece of the pie and treat them "nicer"...but you know they won't because all they are concerned with is the HUGE difference in CASH.

They know the deal with the draft...I've never heard a single player complain about there being a draft. They know the deal with sports in general...in exchange for playing a game...really nothing that would change anybody's life...and making a ton of money, they choose to become professional athletes. Sorry if I don't shed a tear for the horrible NFL system when I see guys crying in absolute joy when they get drafted by god-awful teams during the draft and knowing they will get locked into a contract for 4 years and thier contracts aren't guaranteed.

You are so right they aren't like regular employees...they are playing a freaking game and even the minimum wage guys who last 2 years in the league have made more in those 2 years than the majority of the US population does in 10-15.
    You can only be a free agent after 4 years in the league, and most careers don't even last that long. Most players will never see free agency. And god forbid they are too good and stay too healthy, they can get hit with franchise or transition tags.

The UFL, CFL, they are jokes. Nobody considers them a serious alternative. Saying they can always play with another league is a garbage answer and you know it. There is a reason we call things a monopoly. When Rockefeller controlled every gas station in 50 miles you could technically drive 50 miles to get gas, but nobody is going to do that. It makes no sense. Its an affective monopoly, and that is why the government broke it up.

People seem to act like these players should accept they have no rights just because they are making more then the garbage man. These guys were born with rare gifts and put immense work into developing them. Have you ever read what NFL practices are like. Do you know how much it hurts to get hit like that. Most of them have done more work and endured more hardship by 30 then most people do by 50, but god forbid they make enough money to actually last awhile and pay some of their future medical bills. The effort that went into it may have been of a different nature, but these guys easily have worked as hard or harder then me so far. And I'm in a lucrative yuppie career where my only medical risk is carpal tunnel. I wouldn't trade lives with your average NFL player if you offered it to me, and I will earn more over my life then the average NFL player does.

The owners really deserve the money more, what with all the inheriting most of them did to earn it.