Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Free agents and draft chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Justin Bannan was released by the Broncos today, anybody take him back as a backup?
    I would take him back at a reduced price. Here's a quote from Bannan on this subject:

"I love Baltimore," said Bannan. "The Ravens organization is family to me. So that's a definite possibility."

Sure seems like he wouldn't mind being back either.

Re: Free agents and draft chatter.

With receiving over $16 million in guaranteed money from the Broncos, Bannan walked when asked to take a cut. Will he be realistic about his market value to return to Baltimore, i.e. keep his windfall and now play out his career here at journeyman's wages? If Bannan tries to get his Broncos contract matched, he'll go elsewhere if there's a taker, like the Jets perhaps.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

3. Re: Free agents and draft chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    With receiving over $16 million in guaranteed money from the Broncos, Bannan walked when asked to take a cut. Will he be realistic about his market value to return to Baltimore, i.e. keep his windfall and now play out his career here at journeyman's wages? If Bannan tries to get his Broncos contract matched, he'll go elsewhere if there's a taker, like the Jets perhaps.
    Jets need him more than we do. I see his asking price being different coming off a mediocre season vs coming off a very good season with the Ravens before he hit free agency.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I see the Ravens trading UP more likely than trading down this year. If Jimmy Smith or Anthony Castonzo make it into the 20's, Ozzie could trade up to grab either of them.
    I don't know about this. Jimmy Smith appears to have character issues, and not the kind of character issues the Ravens would take a chance on.

Not mention Smith ran a pedestrian 4.46 in the 40 and looked very stiff in the hips. Frankly I don't see him being worth a first rounder unless the team thinks he could be a star at safety. I don't see him being a superstar corner.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

6. Re: Free agents and draft chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I don't know about this. Jimmy Smith appears to have character issues, and not the kind of character issues the Ravens would take a chance on.
    Intangibles on Jimmy Smith from Scouts Inc:

Quiet and reserved. Leads by example. A very respectful individual to everyone involved in the athletic department. Active in community service.
    Obviously overconfident. Probably a head case. Still a great teammate, by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not mention Smith ran a pedestrian 4.46 in the 40 and looked very stiff in the hips. Frankly I don't see him being worth a first rounder unless the team thinks he could be a star at safety. I don't see him being a superstar corner.
    4.46 is still top-10 for CBs and adequate for a physical CB. The guy is 6'2" and over 200lbs. That time is impressive to me.

13th overall prospect according to Scouts Inc:

Possesses an excellent blend of size and top-end speed for the position.

As for his hips, I'm going to go with the professionals on that one...

Excellent fluidity and balance for his size. Can open up hips and run with faster receivers down field. Might be at his best in press coverage. Does a very nice job of using long arms to jam receivers and disrupt their release. Shows ability to stay in receivers pocket in trail technique. Closing burst is good and can make up ground when ball is in the air. Possesses good overall range and flashes ability to recover once caught in trail position. Kept step-for-step with OU WR Kenny Stills (4) on several vertical routes. Spent majority of his time as boundary corner in 2010.

4.46 speed is good for a CB. Certainly not pedestrian. There were 33 CB's at the combine that ran...only 6 ran better than he did.

I'd love to take him in round 1, but he won't last to us.

I'm not claiming to be stating some objective truth about him. I based my stiffness comment on my eyes and Mike Mayock's comments during the combine.

No prospect is truly a can't miss guy. People were pretty evenly split on who would be better between Leaf and Manning after all. My personal opinion on Smith is that he's not worth a first round pick. If the Ravens disagree I might be swayed to view him differently because Ozzie has such an amazing eye for first round defensive talent. As it is, I'm more interested in either a stud tackle or a burner like Julio Jones.

My ideal draft ends with us getting at least 2 of the following 3:

A 5 technique tackle who can push the pocket to draw some blockers off Sizzle. This draft is swimming in d-line talent so this is the position we're most likely to land.

A stretch the field receiver like Titus Young or Smith out of MD. Julio would be the ideal but he's not likely to fall to us after his workouts, especially considering he did them with a broken foot.

A starting quality tackle.

If we can do that and get the third in free agency, we'll be in position to make another run at the Lombardi.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    4.46 speed is good for a CB. Certainly not pedestrian. There were 33 CB's at the combine that ran...only 6 ran better than he did.

I'd love to take him in round 1, but he won't last to us.
    This, and to piggy back of this he's not gonna have the hips of a Brandon Harris but he's no slouch, he can run, for what he doesnt have in fluidity he'll make up in length and his ability to jam. Now speaking of Brandon Harris i wouldnt be opposed to him at all, i know he isnt the size Decosta may be looking for but i think he's a sleeper in this draft

Blog Entries

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Interesting tidbit on Jimmy Smith.

11. Re: Free agents and draft chatter.

Not to say that Smith isn't off several Draft boards, but this is the time when reports about guys' character and health start to swirl. It's really impossible to know what is BS and what is valid, but it's definitely not good to hear.

Da'Quan Bowers' knee is another good example of talk starting to heat up. It makes no difference how each team feels about these guys when reports like this come out, but I'm sure it will make Mock Drafts and less meaningful.

I wonder what happened in the interview process with Smith? every interview i heard from has him owning up to making some bad decisions and learning from them, i'd hope these character things are over blown but offer just enough to drop him to 26