Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shockey Anyone?

Blog Entries

Re: Shockey Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Shockey anyone= Cam Newton anyone
    LITTLE bit different...Generally only one QB is on the field at a time, so suggesting we go after Cam Newton signals that Flacco is toast. Suggesting we bring in Shockey would be to pair with Heap, not to replace him. Better analogy would be "Portis anyone?"

That said, I still think no way we even kick the tires on him. Just playing devil's advocate a bit.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

There isn't much upside here beyond getting him on the cheap. Downside of career, doesn't play well with others and we don't have a need at his position. Since Dickson and Pitta saw very little action; I would expect Harbs and Offensive genius Cam to expose these guys some more.

In a word....Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    LITTLE bit different...Generally only one QB is on the field at a time, so suggesting we go after Cam Newton signals that Flacco is toast. Suggesting we bring in Shockey would be to pair with Heap, not to replace him. Better analogy would be "Portis anyone?"

That said, I still think no way we even kick the tires on him. Just playing devil's advocate a bit.
    Portis COULD be a possibility with Willis likely out. No chance of Shockey with 3 TE's. Plus, like Newton, Shockey does not fit the Ravens mold.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Funny, I posted this question the second he was released and nobody commented.
    People are probably right. We have young talent that is as good as Shockey can be at this time. Not really a need for the draft or FA.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Portis COULD be a possibility with Willis likely out. No chance of Shockey with 3 TE's. Plus, like Newton, Shockey does not fit the Ravens mold.
    Ugh, I really hope the Ravens don't consider Portis...I would much rather have Jamal Lewis come out of retirement than bring in Portis. Yes, he can still run the ball relatively well when healthy, but he never seemed to be able to stay healthy and he never regained the form that he had behind Denver's amazing OL where he was shredding on the yards. Even back in the Shanahan system, no dice.

Wonder what Musa Smith is up to these days...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Would be incredibly stupid, he'd have 0 purpose here. What exactly would be the benefit of signing him, besides absolutely nothing?

Blog Entries

Portis? What is this 2006? I'd rather draft a young guy with speed.

He's not even worth talking about (no offense, Houston). Even if he is close to being as good as he once was, TE is hardly a need for this team.

Pass on Shockey. Pass on Portis.

We don't need Shockey. We have two young guys behind Heap that will do just fine. Shockey?....we don't need no stinkin' Shockey!

*chuckle*

When I think of Jeremy Shockey I'm reminded of one of the talking heads describing him this way: "Todd Heap with fewer touchdowns."

That was a few years ago but it's still true. They're both a little older and slower and they both get hurt sometimes, and I'd still rather have Heap.

I'm just piling on here & saying what everyone else said, but I remember that quote and thought it was appropriate for this thread. Wish I could remember who said it...
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can someone please talk me off the JW ledge?

Shockey is dangling out there. We have an oft injured TE in Heap.

I cannot imagine he would want big money, considering he is towards the end of his career. For the right price in the 1-2 year range, it's a pretty good insurance policy should Heap go down.

Commence the mocking ....
    Shockey's injury prone just like Heap. I think Shockey would be closer to LJ Smith than a reliable backup.

Hell, whose to say he'll be healthy himself if Heap goes down.

I think we should stick with Dickson, Pitta, and Drew.