Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up The Screen Pass...a Dying Breed?

Rick Johnson has a nice piece on the screen pass in the NFL that was just posted. Interesting reading and I'm sure it has been a much discussed topic on message boards in the past.

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...4&view=archive

Blog Entries

Re: The Screen Pass...a Dying Breed?

I'm convinced...if it's not a straight up pass or run, we can't run the play...though that WAS before McNair. I'd like to see us learn some trick plays and use some strategy like that...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

When executed properly the screen pass is the prettiest play in all of football. I loved watching the Chiefs play because of Saunders penchant for running them.

The screen pass is so effective, and yet only the best teams really use it. part of the issue with us running it has always been the speed of our offensive line. Because we are a run-first team, the OL has always just been about beef. No athleticism. But hopefully that philosophy will begin to change as the older members of the OL begin to retire out.

If a guard can't even chug his way across the field to setup for the screen, how can you run it?

Exactly. Hopefully, Chris Chester and future draft picks will change that, and maybe we'll see some screen plays.

Maybe even some wide receiver screens? We seem to try those every now and then, and they rarely net much yardage. I could see Mark Clayton doing smoe serious damage on some screens, though. He's going to be special.

Did I mention that I like Mark Clayton? I don't know if I've made that clear over the past year...

It looked to me like Boller ran a screen or two if I remember correctly with the 2nd younger line.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of SWING passes and not screens? Screens usually happen with everyone behind the LOS.

I didn't see a screen by boller, the only thing I saw from him was hitting the running back (over and over and well you get the point) and no one else during his two minute drill.

part of the issue with us running it has always been the speed of our offensive line. Because we are a run-first team, the OL has always just been about beef. No athleticism.
    Basically.

I've always beena big fan of the screen...especially when you are facing a team that likes to blitz a lot.

We have just had too many fat guys who can't block in space to run it effectively...not only do the lineman have to be agile enough to get out and block somebody, but they have to be nimble enough to sell it...sell the block and then release without all the linebackers and DB's knowing what is going on as soon as the ball is snapped.

I hope too, that we will be having a more athletic line as opposed to the basic girth...that line of JO, Mule, Flynn, Bennie, and Zues may have been the fattest, slowest line in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn
    I hope too, that we will be having a more athletic line as opposed to the basic girth...that line of JO, Mule, Flynn, Bennie, and Zues may have been the fattest, slowest line in NFL history.
    Although I agree with the overall sentiment of the thread, it's only fair to point out that this line did pave the way for 2066 yards in 2003.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

I'm working on my post game analysis now and the pancake block downfield that Musa hurdled was in fact that of Mike Flynn....

I agree with what has already been said.

It was absolutely killing me that when Indy kept pinning back their ears and blitz blitz blitz that we didn't throw a screen pass into Freeney's space.

Then I look at the line, and what everyone's said here is true. We didn't get a line with athleticism. We got a long with big bodies that hit people in the mouth. Hitting people in the mouth works great when Jamal is rolling.

Problem is that even with those big guys beating down the linemen, no one was getting to the second level and getting a linebacker or the safety that moved up to the line. If we can't do that how can we do a screen.

Perhaps we'll be better once the younger guys develop and also with people like Mulitalo having a chip on their shoulder about being abused last year and going out to make a difference (I'm sure everyone else say that block Edwin threw on Jamal's 13 yard run against the G-men)