Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FA WRs

Re: FA WRs

Quote Originally Posted by Dragz View Post
    I don't ASSUME he can catch a ball, he has almost 300 career receptions. I don't ASSUME he can run deep routes effectively, I've seen him do it. RUNNING the route is nothing more than making the pattern on the field, with your movements, he can do that. I also don't have to ASSUME that he is fast, I've seen him on the field at training camp and in games. I mean, come on man, I said he could be a ROLE PLAYER and that he's fast. EVERYONE knows that he is our fastest WR, so if another team put their nickel on him and that nickel is slower, you'll have safety help over the top. When the nickel gets beat, the safety will drop deeper, so that EVEN IF Stallworth catches the ball, the safety can make a tackle on him. THAT ROLE can be filled by Donte` Stallworth. What are you arguing, what point are you making? Stallworth can't even be the fly guy?! Come on...
    :word

I don't ASSUME he can catch a ball, he has almost 300 career receptions.
    I love how you can't even say "over 300 catches" there. 296 catches in seven years. 42 per season. Wow. Impressive.

I don't ASSUME he can run deep routes effectively, I've seen him do it.
    Two years ago, when he last played?

RUNNING the route is nothing more than making the pattern on the field, with your movements,
    Ah, I get it now. Why didn't you just say "I know absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about"?

Running routes isn't just making a pattern on the field. They call it a route tree. First, the receiver must read the coverage. Then he must read how the player that's on him is covering him. Then, after the snap and he starts his route, he needs to read how the defense is moving. Then, he needs to make a decision on whether he runs x, y or z route, based on how coverage is rolling.

This isn't playground "go deep" football here. Receivers have about three different routes for any given play. They have to be able to read what's going on defensively, so that way when their two deep options are 'post' and 'corner' they know that if the safety is cheating in they run corner and when he's cheating out he runs post.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Know who else had almost 300 receptions in his first seven years?

Travis Taylor.

Now there's a dude that could catch!

Peter Warrick had about 300 after only SIX years!

LOL... Almost 300 receptions...

www.oblongspheroid.com

There really is no arguing with that guy. I think Stallworth could have helped more than he did, but there also had to be some reasons why he was not used more starting with he was not better than TJ, then the foot injury, Joe's lack of accuracy on the deep ball, the OL protection issues and the opposing D able to contain the run game without bringing an 8th man up.

So I hate to agree with PSU on anything, and really I do not 100% on this, but maybe about 51%.

:T2:

He got injured before the season even began so you can't base this year as an indicator of future performance. Sign him for base salary for one more year and then you'll know for sure.
    “Ed Reed for President! I figure if Ed Reed can get eight interceptions in 10 games, he can fix world peace." - Jameel McClain

Quote Originally Posted by TLaMana View Post
    He got injured before the season even began so you can't base this year as an indicator of future performance.
    Stallworth had 7 touches in 8 games. Assume all of those become catches, double them, translate to 16 games and it gives him 28 catches next year. At his career average of 15 YPC, that's 420 yards. Maybe give him three TDs. That's upside over what we should expect from him.

Demetrius Williams, a garbage receiver taken in I think the 4th round had 22 catches, 396 yards and 2 TDs his rookie season. Clarence Moore had 24 for 293 and 4 as a 6th round pick.

We'd be better off drafting a receiver, or just giving David Reed a bigger role and a shot.

There's no reason to believe that Stallworth has anything left. He didn't get on the field as a receiver that was supposed to fit perfectly in Cam's system. This means he likely either didn't have the speed to be a deep threat, or he couldn't read his route tree well, or both.

He's not worth it.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Game, set, match.

During Stallworth’s 8 weeks on the shelf, Houshmandzadeh did develop some rapport with the Ravens starting QB. Stallworth’s less than ideal route running and average hands didn’t help him to close the gap.

www.oblongspheroid.com