Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT - Fisher out in Tenn

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Titans still plan to trade or release Vince Young following Jeff Fisher's exit as head coach.
    Interesting. The Titans' front office had clearly soured on V.Y. by the end of the season, but owner Bud Adams remained a staunch supporter. This news suggests the fissure between Fisher and Adams runs deeper, and perhaps that Fisher had seen the writing on the wall for weeks. Per NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, Young's lack of work ethic is "legendary" in the locker room and around the NFL. With his trade value in the tank, Young is as likely to be released as traded. Jan. 27 - 7:02 pm et

Very weird timing to say the least.

I think Fisher is a decent coach but thought the universal praise he got was a bit much when you actually look at his overall record.

PP

Re: OT - Fisher out in Tenn

probably a good move.

17 years in one place without overwhelming success...

I think the criticism is overstated. A few people say the same about his record. Thing is, the Titans don't spend. They have mediocre at best talent evaluation and don't make any attempt to re-sign their top guys or make strong FA acquisitions.

I think given the talent Fisher had year in and out, he'd done a superb job.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

In the NFL, No Lombardi Trophies = No steady employment.

Sooner or later you have to win the big one in order to stay around and Fish just didn't get it done.

His departure from Tenn was way overdue, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I think the criticism is overstated. A few people say the same about his record. Thing is, the Titans don't spend. They have mediocre at best talent evaluation and don't make any attempt to re-sign their top guys or make strong FA acquisitions.

I think given the talent Fisher had year in and out, he'd done a superb job.

- C -

Superb? I can't agree with that at all.

Good coach? Sure.

In the 7 seasons since they lost at NE in the Divisional Round he's been to the playoffs twice and lost both games.

I was there for one which was I'm sure was particularly painful for Fisher and the Titans!

PP

He was a good coach, however I was suprised he wasn't fired a few years ago.

He was alright, but I would not say he was a good coach. I would rather have Billick as the HC. Gruden or Cowher.

I also think it would be easier to find a HC better than Fisher than it would be to find a QB better than Young.

:T2:

It'll be interesting to see how he does as a tv analyst. My guess is he'll be pretty good.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

NFL sources said Fisher will receive $8 million as part of his settlement to walk away from the Titans after 16 full seasons — the majority of what was due in the final year of his contract. Fisher was to receive $5.6 million in salary for 2011 with a $4 million bonus. The move is expected to be announced as a mutual parting of ways

Nice parting gift!

PP

We play those guys this year... I'm wondering who they bring in and what philosophy they'll employ.

Blog Entries

Interested to see who they bring in as HC now...bet Bud Adams is kicking himself for not making this move three years ago and promoting Schwartz. Making this move so late, best hope is to lure a guy like Cowher out of retirement. Best HC candidates already gone...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Making this move so late, best hope is to lure a guy like Cowher out of retirement. Best HC candidates already gone...
    I think the best are still available. If you are willing to pay them.

:T2: