Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Steelers fan opinion on the Ravens offense.

Better OL needed.

Better use of the WRs.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I liked your post and I am sorry if a poster was rude to you. Many of your points were valid, and I think today's move of firing Jim Zorn was needed. Frankly, his expertise is in the WCO and Cam runs a more vertical offense.

You have an excellent QB in Roethlisberger and I hope one day Joe Flacco can learn to run and extend plays the same way he does. That would make a lot of Ravens fans happy.

The team seems to have overestimated Flacco's ability going into this season.

It certainly isn't that we can't win with Joe. He's clearly got ability.

But we can't win with Joe the way the team is currently built.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I hope one day Joe Flacco can learn to run and extend plays the same way he does. That would make a lot of Ravens fans happy.
    Unfortunately for Ravens fans, Ben is a Unique talent, and I don't see any way Flacco develops a skill set similiar to Ben's.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Every adult here makes a great point, but what about the anti-audible view of Cam? Is Joe being heldback?

When you the review the season, I think the one game that may have defined the season for Joe was Week 2 at Cincy.

After throwing the four picks you have to wonder if Joe took the mindset he was NOT going to throw another game away. Confidence is not something that can be coached, it must be learned and trusting yourself is a hurdle every "Elite" QB must learn!!

Quote Originally Posted by GaRaven
    When you the review the season, I think the one game that may have defined the season for Joe was Week 2 at Cincy.

After throwing the four picks you have to wonder if Joe took the mindset he was NOT going to throw another game away. Confidence is not something that can be coached, it must be learned and trusting yourself is a hurdle every "Elite" QB must learn!!
    Huh?

From that game forward, Joe was one of the top three QB's in the league for rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Huh?

From that game forward, Joe was one of the top three QB's in the league for rest of the season.
    1 - Tom Brady
    2 - Mike Vick
    3 - Joe Flacco

Um, hunh?

Where do Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, etc fit into that list? Cause even if all of them weren't better, certainly a bunch were.

Flacco is a very good game manager. He has yet to show that he can take the team on his back and win consistently against top competition in critical situations. All those other guys have shown that. He still makes key mental errors, those other guys don't (at least not with even close to the consistency).

Flacco is a long way from being an elite QB in this league. He's certainly above average. He's definitely good. Top three? No, not close.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    1 - Tom Brady
    2 - Mike Vick
    3 - Joe Flacco

Um, hunh?

Where do Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, etc fit into that list? Cause even if all of them weren't better, certainly a bunch were.

Flacco is a very good game manager. He has yet to show that he can take the team on his back and win consistently against top competition in critical situations. All those other guys have shown that. He still makes key mental errors, those other guys don't (at least not with even close to the consistency).

Flacco is a long way from being an elite QB in this league. He's certainly above average. He's definitely good. Top three? No, not close.

- C -
    I guess you missed the half dozen articles or so that said, by QB rating, he was at the top or among the tops of the league since week 2?

His 26 TD's and only 5 INT's since week three puts him there.

Yes, he has some issues he needs to work on, and I agree with your assessment in general.

But that doesn't negate his numbers one bit.

And no way can you say that Vick has proved "he can take the team on his back and win consistently against top competition in critical situations. All those other guys have shown that". That's Vick's crutch since he was in Atlanta and nothing has changed in spite of having an amazing year.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 01-28-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Statistically Flacco was fantastic since week 2, but that doesn't mean he's one of the top QBs for the year, it just means statistically he's one of the best. Was Roethlisberger one of the best QBs in the league his first season? No, he just managed the game really well.

We can agree to disagree on Vick. Vick was fabulous till he started getting hurt, and wound up unable to complete a couple come-backs at the end of the year. Didn't help that his defense couldn't stop anyone either (Joe Webb what???). But when he wasn't playing hurt, he was probably the best in the game.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Even though Joe is only in his third year, he has progressed....touchdowns were up, iterceptions were down. Physically he has the arm strength, however he's slow afoot (reminds me of Bernie Kosar) He needs to improve mentally...such as throwing the ball away, instead of running out of bounds with the ball ten yards behind the line, and needs to be quicker going through his progressions in finding an open receiver, not just looking at the first receiver then checking down to Rice. Now part of it is the OL was not giving him time, so screen passes, quick slants, crossing patterns, and such should have been called more...right, Cam?? Such plays were run the last two games of the year, but by then it was too late. The OL situation needs to be addressed this off season, and I'm sure it will.

GO RAVENS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I guess you missed the half dozen articles or so that said, by QB rating, he was at the top or among the tops of the league since week 2?

His 26 TD's and only 5 INT's since week three puts him there.

Yes, he has some issues he needs to work on, and I agree with your assessment in general.

But that doesn't negate his numbers one bit.

And no way can you say that Vick has proved "he can take the team on his back and win consistently against top competition in critical situations. All those other guys have shown that". That's Vick's crutch since he was in Atlanta and nothing has changed in spite of having an amazing year.
    His numbers, to me, indicate that he's a good game manager. He doesn't throw a lot of INTs but anyone who watched the NFL this year can see that he's just not on that level of QB.

He's able to put together decent stat lines when he isn't having great games.

Stop confusing that with greatness. And stop confusing me saying that with not liking him as a QB.