Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could Dick LeBeau retire?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...erdog-steelers

James Walker, who writes ESPN's AFC North Blog, is speculating that LeBeau might retire since he is old and was allowed to reach the end of his contract without recieving an extension.

LeBeau is a great defensive coordinator. On one hand it would be ashame to see a great mind leave the game, but on the other hand it would be great to see the Steelers lose such an asset.

Since LeBeau returned to the Steelers in 2004 here is how their defense has ranked in terms of yardage allowed:
    2004: 1
    2005: 4
    2006: 9
    2007: 1
    2008: 1
    2009: 5
    2010: 2

Obvoiusly he's had some great players, but even with great players this is an impressive record. I'm sure there are many other stats you could point to that would champion his success. Bottom line: he's very good at what he does.

I can't stand the Steelers, but I have great admiration for LeBeau. It will be intersting to see if he leaves football or at least the Steelers.

Re: Could Dick LeBeau retire?

Agree, LeBeau is a great defensive mind. He was a very good CB back in his playing days with Detroit as well.

I wonder if his decision will be partly based on whether the Steelers win the Super Bowl. There's something to be said for going out on top. Of course, I hope he is disappointed in that particular regard...

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Agree, LeBeau is a great defensive mind. He was a very good CB back in his playing days with Detroit as well.

I wonder if his decision will be partly based on whether the Steelers win the Super Bowl. There's something to be said for going out on top. Of course, I hope he is disappointed in that particular regard...
    He's not going to retire unless he has health problems. That's one dude who loves what he does.

http://oblongspheroid.blogspot.com/2...young-men.html

Please, please, please retire! You deserve to sit back and relax. You've earned it. Please, please, please!!!!
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Let's hire him as a "consultant" ala Al Saunders.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Ravens need both LeBeau and Big Ben to retire, then things might just be a bit more manageable in the AFC North.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Ravens need both LeBeau and Big Ben to retire, then things might just be a bit more manageable in the AFC North.
    Personally I don't want him to retire, and we all know Ben is not going anywhere unless he can't keep it in his pants again.

I want to beat the Steelers the way they are. Right now there is no question they are the better team, but we are closing in on them.

Some may not agree with me but if we fix just a coupe of small holes we will be dominate team in not only the North but the NFL.

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best and we are knocking on the door.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

I still remember when Dick LeBeau was the worst HC in football with the Bengals. He's certainly turned his career around in Pittsburgh, and I respect someone who recognizes that they don't want to advance to the top spot because they know their own strengths and limitations.

Maybe he'll retire, maybe he won't...but it's not like a Dick LeBeau-less Steelers will suddenly suck defensively. The players fit into a lot of schemes and the coaches under LeBeau are solid. I believe they've been grooming Keith Butler to take over when LeBeau decides to hang it up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Maybe he'll retire, maybe he won't...but it's not like a Dick LeBeau-less Steelers will suddenly suck defensively. The players fit into a lot of schemes and the coaches under LeBeau are solid.
    That is why they are the "Gold Standard" as Sea Biscuit says. As much as we hate to say it, they are indeed, and we are simply 'wannabes' at this point. My question is why has our offense not adapted its schemes to the talents of our offensive players, rather than trying to fit the players into Cam's scheme, which is what I believe he has been trying to do. Flacco works great off play action, shotgun, no huddle, yet we seldom use these schemes....just some random thoughts.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

That is why they are the "Gold Standard" as Sea Biscuit says. As much as we hate to say it, they are indeed, and we are simply 'wannabes' at this point. My question is why has our offense not adapted its schemes to the talents of our offensive players, rather than trying to fit the players into Cam's scheme, which is what I believe he has been trying to do. Flacco works great off play action, shotgun, no huddle, yet we seldom use these schemes....just some random thoughts.

IMO, this is the teams biggest problem. This is why I believe in the rumors of Cam being a control freak. A good coach will rely on the strengths of the team. Cam didn't do that and it was a huge missed opportuntiy. Cam is not a good coach. Hopefully this is the #1 thing that Harbaugh will be fixing as he babysits Cameron next season.
    Boh

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Please, please, please retire! You deserve to sit back and relax. You've earned it. Please, please, please!!!!
    I'll even buy him the Lay-Z Boy!

Ben is not that big of a deal. At this point it is probably more psychological than anything else. Their defense, specifically their front 7, is the Ravens main problem.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.