Ravens expected to name Teryl Austin secondary coach

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Baltimore Ravens have interviewed former University of Florida defensive coordinator Teryl Austin for their secondary coach vacancy and he's considered the leading candidate to land the job, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

LINK

Re: Ravens expected to name Teryl Austin secondary coach

Seems like a good resume. Two stints as secondary coach in the pro's, with two teams that won their conference championship.

One thing I like about these college guys, they are committed to teaching technique. As long as they have NFL experience, I like them as hires.

3. Re: Ravens expected to name Teryl Austin secondary coach

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    One thing I like about these college guys, they are committed to teaching technique. As long as they have NFL experience, I like them as hires.
    I agree on this part, but you have to be weary of linking the success of their teams to their coaching ability in the college ranks.

Coming from a program like Florida, he has incredibly more talented players to work with than most coaches. He also has a better front seven supporting his secondary. These coaches have a ton of advantages at these huge college programs that an equal coach at a smaller program may not have.

With that said, it's tougher to get a job at Florida than it is at an inferior program. Florida will get some of the most promising, young candidates out there. Sounds like a solid hire to me.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    ...but you have to be weary of linking the success of their teams to their coaching ability in the college ranks.Coming from a program like Florida, he has incredibly more talented players to work with than most coaches. He also has a better front seven supporting his secondary. These coaches have a ton of advantages at these huge college programs
    Good point.

I'm not so worried about that here, since this guy has also been involved with defensive success at the NFL level.

Blog Entries

While it is important to bring in a good defensive mind, not so sure we need to get hung up on credentials for Pagano's replacement. Even as the DC, Pagano will still have his hands in the secondary. It's kind've like when you promote your DC to HC. He's running the team, but he still kind've keeps a hand in the D to keep it going. When Rex was promoted to DC and we brought in Clarence Brooks...he was no slouch, but I'd bet good money he still did a good deal of coaching of the DL players.

That said, Austin looks to be a very solid defensive mind. Hopefully he brings something new to the table to help our D prowess keep improving.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It's kind've like when you promote your DC to HC. He's running the team, but he still kind've keeps a hand in the D to keep it going.
    Good comparison. Like when we hired Brian Billick to be head coach.

Blog Entries

only thing I don't like about his resume is his connection to Shittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    only thing I don't like about his resume is his connection to Shittsburgh
    Same connection Flacco has, playing a couple seasons at the Univ of Pittsburgh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Same connection Flacco has, playing a couple seasons at the Univ of Pittsburgh.
    this guy is from Pennsylvania Flacco is from Jersey. thats a little more connection then playing college ball in Shittsburg. but it was ment more as sarcasm than to be serious