Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Cundiff agrees to 5 year deal with Ravens

Billy deserves the contract. Hope he has continued success

while i see the value in kickoffs, cundiffs numbers were good i just didnt see him making and big clutch kicks this year... did he make or attempt any over 50 yds?

I don't recall Billy making or attempting any long FG's but it never really came up in game situations where it would be appropriate to try. Except for the end of the 2nd Pittsburgh game when I wish Harbaugh had given him a chance for a long FG to tie the game.

He was 2 for 2 under 20, 11 for 11 from 20-29, 8 of 9 from 30-39, 7 of 8 from 40 to 49 and missed his only 50 yarder.

He was 5th in terms of accuracy among kickers who attempted at least 25 kicks.

Seems pretty clutch.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Good point on incentives etc. Almost all these contracts are back loaded and seldom
    realized. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed, unlike in baseball.

I Would like to see the break down.
    True, id like to see the structure as well before i judge the deal. A couple things we do know is he can crush kickoffs and make makable kicks(for the most part). I stay optimistic he can keep it going

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Jesus. Cundiff was terrific this year, no doubt, but $3MM a year is a lot for a K who, let's face it, may have just had a fluky year. Seems like a pretty heavy bet to me.
    That was my initial reaction too.

Obviously, the devil is in the details, and the real story will be the guaranteed money, but on it's face - unless there are a ton of incentives - it's a pretty sizeable deal for a guy, as you said, who's had one good year in recent memory.

I'm happy they got this done quickly, and happy he's back, but it looks like a very lucrative deal for one good - very good - year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

i like cundiff, but until i see a kicker hit a 45+ late in the 4th quarter tied or down by three i dont think you know what the kicker is made of..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He was 2 for 2 under 20, 11 for 11 from 20-29, 8 of 9 from 30-39, 7 of 8 from 40 to 49 and missed his only 50 yarder.

He was 5th in terms of accuracy among kickers who attempted at least 25 kicks.

Seems pretty clutch.
    This says nothing at all about if he is clutch or not. I dont think he had any game winners or late FGs this season, did he?

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    This says nothing at all about if he is clutch or not. I dont think he had any game winners or late FGs this season, did he?
    He won the game against Buffalo with a 38 yarder in OT.

Other than that he wasn't forced to win any games for us. Of his 29 Field goal attempts, only 10 were for a chance to go ahead from either trailing or tied. He made 9 of those attempts. That's clutch.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He won the game against Buffalo with a 38 yarder in OT.

Other than that he wasn't forced to win any games for us. Of his 29 Field goal attempts, only 10 were for a chance to go ahead from either trailing or tied. He made 9 of those attempts. That's clutch.
    at what point in the game was it to take the lead. from what you are saying if he makes a FG on the opening drive of the game when the score is tied 0-0 thats clutch? i dont think so. when he makes a few that give us a 1 or 2 point lead or tie a game in the 4th quarter I'll agree he is clutch. but until then he is just a great kickoff guy who made his kicks with no pressure on, which isnt a bad thing it just means he has not been tested yet.

I find it hard to criticize a player for something that he has not had the opportunity to do. Bottom line is he was terrific on kickoffs and hit a very high percentage of his FGs. That's enough for me.