Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Harb's offensive input

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I do not see how any team that was poor in crunch time can get to 12 wins without some good coaching.

Also I think the fact that Harbs fired Matsco and Mattison left shows that he did hold his assistants accountable for not finding ways to finish teams off with the run game and pass rush the way sthey should have.
    I never said that Harbs is not a good coach; but failing in crunch time numerous times this year is the responsibility of the HC, and he failed miserably in this area. Having said all of that, I am not advocating his firing.

I also think Matsco is the scapegoat for the Offensive woes this season. His first several years on the job, his O-line performed at a very high level. Biscuit wanted a head, and Harbs gave him one, imho.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    It is also a FACT that Rex is in the Final Four three years running. I just can't accept the rationale that simply because Harbs took us to the playoffs three years running, only to 'Wet Our Proverbial Pants' when we got there, is justficiation for all us to say 'job well done'.
    Rex has been a head coach for 2 seasons. You're giving him credit for an AFC Championship that Harabaugh coached us to. I can't even wrap my mind around the amount of delusion required to do that.

Again, Harbs is the only coach in the NFL with a playoff win in the last three years. That's a level of consistent excellence that is being massively underrated by some people.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Rex has been a head coach for 2 seasons. You're giving him credit for an AFC Championship that Harabaugh coached us to.
    I am merely stating that Rex coached the Ravens D the ONLY time the Ravens made it to the championship game under Harbs, and Rex, since that time, has taken his team to the championship game two years running...coincidence?
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I am merely stating that Rex coached the Ravens D the ONLY time the Ravens made it to the championship game under Harbs, and Rex, since that time, has taken his team to the championship game two years running...coincidence?
    Well I guess we should just back up a Brinks truck to Fat Rex's house and pour buckets of money and foot models onto his yard to get him to come back. Surely we'd still be undefeated if Rex was here.

Dude, do you understand that John Harbaugh is the definition of successful as a NFL coach? Sure he's missed the AFC championship in the last two years, but then again, so has Belichick. Pats should dump his worthless ass I guess.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Just a thought...yes Rex has made it to Final Four twice as HC, 3 years running if you count him being DC here (That's like saying Mike Pettine has too, so obviously he'd be a great HC? I kid, I kid, moving on...)

But, he hasn't played a single home playoff game, he hasn't won his division, he's coached teams who started off well, but struggled to put things away down the stretch. These are all things you could say about Harbaugh too, but Rex isn't the golden coach of the NFL. He has issues too. I mean, at one point last year, he thought his team had been eliminated from the postseason following a loss. They snuck into the playoffs last year with two big gimme games in the last two weeks. This year, they did a bit better, but the losses to NE, CHI, and MIA at the end of the season?

My point is that no HC is without fault. Only one HC has gone 16-0 in a single season, and they didn't win the SB that year. Is Rex a good coach? Yes. But if you're going to claim that Harbaugh is "getting by off good players", you could claim the same about Rex. Getting by with his strong defensive players and Brian Schottenheimer running the offense.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Dude, do you understand that John Harbaugh is the definition of successful as a NFL coach? Sure he's missed the AFC championship in the last two years, but then again, so has Belichick. Pats should dump his worthless ass I guess.
    My defn of "successful" is a team, that week in and week out, lays it all out on the field for their coach, regardless of whether they win or lose. This team 'choked' in many a game this year, and that, imo, is not a good reflection on the coach! Mistakes happen; but to chronically piss games away does not bode well for success.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe

My defn of "successful" is a team, that week in and week out, lays it all out on the field for their coach, regardless of whether they win or lose. This team 'choked' in many a game this year, and that, imo, is not a good reflection on the coach! Mistakes happen; but to chronically piss games away does not bode well for success.
    And how does a coach get an entire team to choke exactly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And how does a coach get an entire team to choke exactly?
    By changing his name to "John Harbaugh"

“When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

"Laying it all out on the field" is a term usually applied to effort, not execution. This team isn't lacking on effort. John Harbaugh has his players going all game, giving it their all. They may fail on execution at times, but their effort is 100%. The same could not be said of Brian Billick's last year here.

Blog Entries

Far be it for me to shed some perspective on this topic, especially since I never do it.

But Harbaugh has not gotten us to 3 straight playoffs neither has Joe nor Ray. This TEAM fails to or succeeds together.

As much as I hate cliches there's no Harbuagh in team

Consider that the Ravens "crumble" late in the game may be due to two things.

1 - Offense does not typically hold the ball long enough. Too many 3 and outs.

2. - Defense because of spending so much time on the field due to factor 1 wears out in the 4th quarter.

THIS NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED!! Its called coaching. The talent is there.

That did not happen in the playoffs though. Shitsburgh tied it, then won it in the 4th quarter on a 3rd and long with the prevent defense poised. That was simply a screw up on defensive execution. Had nothing to do with poor coaching.

Still, it makes one wonder. Offensive play calling in the last 2 minutes by our Blackbirds trying to come back ang get a TD to go to overtime sucked though!
    As previously stated: Makes one wonder doesn'tit??

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    But Harbaugh has not gotten us to 3 straight playoffs neither has Joe nor Ray. This TEAM fails to or succeeds together.
    But in a conversation about the merits of the head coach one can't ignore that under his leadership the team is among the NFL elite in terms of getting to the playoffs.