Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: QUESTION: Could Harbaugh be protecting his job security?

To me, the thing that jumps out when looking at the coaching staff, is the difference Hue Jackson seems to have made.

While he was here, the O was improving and moving on up. He leaves for Oakland and our offense goes in the tank while Oakland's is soaring.

Whatever it was Hue Jackson provided to the offense, that's what we need to find again.

The two big things to me about finding a new OC is where do you look and who is looking?

You won't find an OC on one team that just wants to jump ship to another team.
    And none of the reently fired coaches, other than McDaniels is applealing to me.

This now leaves you 2 choices:
    1. Look for a top off position asst from the NFL that is ready to make the jump to OC.
    I am fine with this, but only if the guy comes from a team that consistently has a good offense...like New England, or Green Bay, or San Diego...etc.

2. Look to hire a top head coach or OC from the NCAA
    The condition here would be that the guy had to be at a school that runs a pro-set type scheme and not guy that runs your college type off like they do at Michigan / Georgia Tech. etc.

FM

This now leaves you 2 choices:
    1. Look for a top off position asst from the NFL that is ready to make the jump to OC.
    I am fine with this, but only if the guy comes from a team that consistently has a good offense...like New England, or Green Bay, or San Diego...etc.

2. Look to hire a top head coach or OC from the NCAA
    The condition here would be that the guy had to be at a school that runs a pro-set type scheme and not guy that runs your college type off like they do at Michigan / Georgia Tech. etc.
    I'll take door No. 1

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    What about luring Mike Nolan back?
    Not that it matters now, but Nolan is under contract with Miami for 2011, so he wasn't really an option.

Tony - what are your impressions of Pagano and what type of DC do you think he'll make?

Also, with Al Saunders having not yet taken the Oakland job, I'm sort of wondering if he is waiting around to see what happens with Cam.

Any thoughts/impressions on Saunders and how he's viewed by the players (since that appears to be a big problem with Cam)?

Thanks.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I would argue that Mattison did not have sufficient NFL experience to warrant being the DC. Mike Nolan could have been brought back with a little effort when he became available.
    Vic Fangio was the obvious choice for DC, when Rex left.

Not that it matters now, but Nolan is under contract with Miami for 2011, so he wasn't really an option.

Tony - what are your impressions of Pagano and what type of DC do you think he'll make?

Also, with Al Saunders having not yet taken the Oakland job, I'm sort of wondering if he is waiting around to see what happens with Cam.

Any thoughts/impressions on Saunders and how he's viewed by the players (since that appears to be a big problem with Cam)?
    I wasn't sure about Nolan's contract and with the shaky situation in Miami I thought he might welcome a little homecoming.

Not sure about Al. He is somewhat comical at practice...running around the field trying to strip the ball from receivers. I don't sense that he does much on the practice field coaching with the offense although the team has improved in their screen pass execution, a staple of Saunders' offense.

My sense is the players like him but don't view him as much of an authority figure because Cameron has the rap of being a control freak...hence the lack of audibles.

Funny story...I actually asked a Ravens insider at The Castle if Nolan was considered and if there may be a small chance of Asomugha coming to B'more given his ties to Pagano and I was told to stick to websites.

I then said, "So my dream of being a front office employee of the Ravens probably won't happen"...to which they replied, "you have as much chance of that as either Nolan or Nnamdi being Ravens."