Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Boldin Quote

Re: Boldin Quote

SpamBot,

For what it's worth, it's not always possible to directly measure the time that a QB is has in the pocket. If a QB throws the ball after 4 seconds he may have had 4 seconds or he may have had 6 or 7 and just found an open receiver after 4. I don't know what your methodology is, but I'm assuming it's something along the lines of...

number of seconds until the QB is sacked, flushed from the pocket, or throws the ball

If this is the case, then any data collected when the QB throws is censored data. It only says that the O-line would have protected for at least X number of seconds. Meanwhile, it the QB is sacked or flushed from the pocket, that is uncensored data. It measures the actuall amount of time the QB had in the pocket. Since you have censored data in one direction, but not the other, your data will be biased. I think you can use survivor analysis to get an "unbiased" estimate of the average amount of time the Patriots O-line provided in the pocket. I don't know much about survivor analysis, but my understanding is that it corrects for this kind of data censoring.

Still, I think the results would be questionable at best. In football there are so many other variables that influence eachother. In this case, play calling of both the offense and defense would play a big factor. Also, there will be many judgement calls. Was the QB flushed from the pocket or did he panic and leave early?

Bottom line: Someone who's a very competent statistician would have to help you to get a good answer to this question, and even then you might not have much confidence in the answer.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 01-27-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: format

As for the Boldin quote...

Was he blaming Joe or just making an excuse that the ball was more difficult to catch, even though it was located where it needed to be?

Either way it's a weak thing to say, but it's not clear to me that he was blaming Joe. Also, this was after an incredibly dissapointing loss. He obviously should have said something different, but under the circumstances this seems very forgiveable.

3. Re: Boldin Quote

My grandfather always told me that if the ball touches your hands, you've got to catch it.

If my grandfather was commenting on Boldin letting a ball knock off his chest THEN through his hands, I'm pretty sure he'd tell his dumb ass that he should have caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    It is kind of ironic, you have to admit.

Flacco threw exactly 2 nice passes in the entire second half.

They were both dropped.
    He made 3 nice throws on the last 2 drives. the throw over the linebacker to Heap was excellent. Boldin catches the ball and Joe is a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    He made 3 nice throws on the last 2 drives. the throw over the linebacker to Heap was excellent. Boldin catches the ball and Joe is a hero.
    Yeah, but unfortunately he made more than three terrible throws in the second half. I'm a Flacco fan but let's call a spade a spade. Those three throws were pretty much the only really good throws he made that entire half. Ironic that two of them were dropped.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    My grandfather always told me that if the ball touches your hands, you've got to catch it.

If my grandfather was commenting on Boldin letting a ball knock off his chest THEN through his hands, I'm pretty sure he'd tell his dumb ass that he should have caught it.
    Yes sir! Underneath catch, pinkys touch, look it in, football 101

How ironic is it that the two biggest playoff drops in Ravens history came courtesy of former Bengals and Cardinals?

This is all pretty stupid. In the big picture, when the game comes down to a dropped pass after being up on the Stealers 21-7, that game was pretty much over anyway. The big momentum change occurred the first 4 dumb plays of the second half. After that, it was deer in the headlights, desperation time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    As for the Boldin quote...

Was he blaming Joe or just making an excuse that the ball was more difficult to catch, even though it was located where it needed to be?

Either way it's a weak thing to say, but it's not clear to me that he was blaming Joe. Also, this was after an incredibly dissapointing loss. He obviously should have said something different, but under the circumstances this seems very forgiveable.
    I think they are one in the same. By saying the ball was low, it was a difficult catch, he's basically saying if the ball had been put in a better position the ball would have been easier to catch.

He might not have intended to blame Flacco, which I dont really buy, but by not taking responsibility for his drop thats basically what he did.

10. Re: Boldin Quote

Just catch the ball!

I've gone over the game for weeks now and I'm still back at my original conclusion.

Just make a play. No excuses. The ball was in your chest Mr. Boldin. Do your job.

We can go over and over and around again about Flacco but if Boldin catches a ball he should have people are singing a different tune about him.